Happy Dad’s Day

Posted by: ST on June 15, 2008 at 10:36 am

Here’s to the most under-appreciated man in the whole world: Dear ol’ dad.

My own dad got some bad news on the health front Friday. He and mom went to have their eyes re-examined for the first time in several years, and both found out they had cataracts. But dad also has another problem – a retinal problem related to the diabetes he has been fighting for years. He is going to have to have the damage ‘repaired’ via eye surgery … or else there’s a strong chance that he will slowly go blind.

It was and is obviously very scary news, and one more reminder to him that he is getting older, and can’t do some of the things he used to do. He took the news better than many would have, but it’s still affected his mood this Father’s Day weekend. I’ve spent most of the weekend with both him and mom, going around shopping, primarily for curtains and a rod for my downstairs livingroom double window where my dad is going to be installing blinds in the place of the Roman shades that are there right now sometime this week. He had planned on installing the blinds yesterday but with the news we decided to delay things for a few days.

Later today after lunch my sisters and bros in law will be over to celebrate Father’s Day. Dad just got done picking some squash and cucumbers from his little garden to give to them when they come over. He loves that garden, not just because he’s growing his own veggies for him and mom to consume but because he also enjoys giving away some of the ‘fruits’ of his labor in the garden to the rest of his family. It is his way of continuing to provide, even though all of us have our own homes and our own lives and are providing for ourselves.

No matter what curveballs they face as they get older, the need and desire to provide for ones family in many different ways never leaves the heart of the father and husband, even long after all the little birds have flown from the nest. It’s one of the many characteristics of fathers that we all appreciate.

I know I certainly appreciate it in mine. It’s an appreciation I try to show in little ways every day, but especially on his special day.

Happy Father’s Day, dad.

5 Responses to “Happy Dad’s Day”

Comments

1. Big Bang Hunter (pumping you up) says:

Comment moved to the Friday open thread. –ST

2. Severian says:

Sorry to hear about your parents eye problems ST. On the bright side, surgery for these kinds of issues is remarkably effective these days. My Mom has had cataract surgery, and sees better than she has in years, and no longer has to wear glasses even. The retinal issue is more problematic, but there again, the technology has advanced markedly thanks to laser surgery. Here’s hoping he cheers up and that the operations go well.

I understand him giving veggies away to his kids, it’s one more way of trying to take care of them now that they are out on their own and independent. If you love your family that’s what you do. I keep my Mom supplied with all sorts of food, whenever I cook pots of freezer food I run containers of it over to her. She loves my cooking, and being a little old lady she doesn’t cook for herself much. So I tend to make a lot of things I know she likes.

I wish my Dad was still around this Father’s Day, but alas he’s been gone for 18 years now. We all still miss him terribly, he was an Air Force First Sergeant, 30 year veteran, and one of the finest men I’ve ever known.

3. Phaedrus says:

It is difficult when parents get older. My dad died two years ago after two years battling cancer. Count your blessings while your dad is alive. A freind of ours is “celebrating” father’s day while preparing to attend his 10 year old son’s funeral tomorrow in Durant, OK. His son collapsed and died while attending a kids basketball camp.

4. Dana says:

Well, the cataract surgery isn’t that big a deal anymore; I had a cataract removed from my right eye five years ago.

Diabetic retinopathy, on the other hand, is serious.

5. Wry Mouth says:

Hope his surgery does go well… my pop had a cataracty lens replaced a few years back. Amazing, as it seems to be no big deal. Welcome to the Future, Pops!…

Sounds like your dad and my dad are part of the Vanishing Generation, but I vow, more regularly, to be more like my mom and dad, and make sure their values survive at least one more go-round in this world after they are gone.

Happy Dad’s Day (belated) to yours, ST!