US women’s beach volleyball team wins gold, thanks Bush??

Posted by: ST on August 21, 2008 at 9:23 am

I have read in a couple of different places this morning, like at Lucianne.com, that Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Treanor – the US women’s beach volleyball team – actually thanked the President yesterday after defeating the Chinese team to win the gold medal.  This has to be seen to be believed!

I have searched for video or links to the actual quote(s), but with no luck.  Anyone out there who finds the vid, please post the link – or a link to the transcript or quotes – in the comments.

Congrats, ladies!  Hope you don’t lose any endorsement deals because of this ;)

Caption: Misty May-Treanor (right) and her teammate Kerri Walsh of the US kiss their gold medals on the podium during the awards ceremony following their victory over China’s Tian Jia and Wang Jie in their women’s final beach volleyball match at Chaoyang Park Beach Volleyball Ground, on August 21, during the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. The US team won 2-0. (AFP/Thomas Coex)

Update 1 – 9:28 AM: Just found a quote:

“Thank you for your support, thanks for everything you do.”

Kerri Walsh’s shout out moments ago, alongside her partner Misty May-Treanor (married to Florida Marlins’ catcher, Matt Treanor) to the sitting US President, George W. Bush.

Cool :) Would still like to see vid, just to see the context of it all.

Do I sound shocked? Yeah – I guess I am, considering that anyone on the US Olympic team would dare to openly praise a President who is not liked overseas at all.

Update 2 - 9:37 AM: Political Capital posts a paraphrase of another part of the quote:

But after the match was over – after the celebration, and after Misty May sprinkled her mom’s ashes on the ground again, NBC interviewed the two women and asked them about their feelings about the match, and winning the gold for the second straight Olympics.

That’s when Walsh said it.  The statement that will likely drive those who can not tolerate anyone in the universe not being full of hate toward the President of the United States:

I just want to say this.  Thank you Mr. President – for your inspiration!  We love you, RAAAAAAHHH!!!”

I’m paraphrasing of course – I can’t find the comment on youtube, and nobody else has written on this yet that I can see, but the point remains.

C’mon – someone’s got to have a vid of this somewhere!

Update 3 – 10:10 AM: Ask and ye shall receive.  Here’s a link to video of what was said.  Thanks to ActPatriot in the comments! The .wmv link within the main link is slow loading, so have patience.

I love it. They weren’t asked about the President – they volunteered the remarks.  Good for them!

Update 4 – 7:17 PM: If the vid at Ms. Underestimated is slow-loading, here’s a shorter version of the vid that skips right to the quote from Walsh:

13 Responses to “US women’s beach volleyball team wins gold, thanks Bush??”

Comments

1. ActPatriot says:

A link here courtesy of LINK

They truly did thank the Prez.

2. Steve Burri says:

They not only gave that positive shoutout to the President, but they also expressed the great desire to have babies! Anathema!

3. royal w/ cheese says:

i saw it and heard it and loved it.
    it was my favorite moment of the olympics.
    kerri also said “for all you do” and misty added
    “we love you and we did this for you”
    the match was great and those girls are the greatest.
    IT WAS REAL AND HEARTFELT. USA USA USA!

4. :)>- Blessings, beloveds,
    I haven’t viewed ANY of the Olympics so I get my updates online. I think it’s wonderful these women chose to thank Bush. I’m sure he was just as surprised to hear the words as everyone else.

One can only admire and respect their decision to honor a man who’s so often vilified.

-Faux Maya Angelou

5. NC Cop says:

And then there’s this:

Georgians hope U.S. will help defend way of life

TBILISI, Georgia — The road to the airport is named George W. Bush Street.

Across from historic Freedom Square, where former Soviet dictator Josef Stalin went to school, is a Marriott Courtyard. And the presidential palace under construction is often called the “white house.”

The dream of Georgia is to be like the U.S.,” says Georgia’s chancellor, or minister of administration, Kakha Bendukidze. “The relationship is based on more than geopolitical considerations. It’s based on values that we share.”

When President Bush visited in 2005, more than 150,000 Georgians packed Freedom Square to see him.

What’s this?!?! A country that appreciates George W. Bush for what he’s done?!?!! A country that WANTS to be like America??

Heads must be exploding all over liberal-land.

6. Victoria says:

Thanks for the bloglink love, Sistertoldjah!

The 9:28 link you quoted was mine, and I did it from memory moments after having watched it. It was close. Walsh didn’t say “for your support”, but the rest is bang on.

Cheers,
    Victoria

7. Great White Rat says:

NC Cop…great link. That’s a sentiment you find in much of eastern Europe. No one appreciates freedom or the cost to achieve it like a people who have been rescued from a totalitarian regime. It’s why the most pro-American part of Europe is now the old captive nation bloc – Estonia, Lithuania, Poland, Ukraine, etc.

My fear is that too many Americans don’t have the spine, or the appreciation of what this country stands for, to help the Georgians achieve their goal. Contrast the values and aspirations of the people of Georgia with, say, San Francisco.

Maybe we can make a deal with the Russians. We get to make Georgia our newest state. In return, we cede SF, Seattle, Boston, and Vermont to them. Sounds fair to me….what do you think? ;)

8. Thank you for being among the first to blog about this and for providing a darn close-to-what-was-actually-said quote, Victoria :)

9. Victoria says:

Thank you for being among the first to blog about this

Alas, the video was removed. NBC must be watching real close, Sister. :(

Cheers,
    Victoria

Only if we can send Pelosi, Gates, Kerry and the screamer Dean with them. – Lorica

11. Great White Rat says:

Lorica’s amendment sounds fine to me. :d

Another report that further supports NC Cop’s point above is this one written by Michael Totten in today’s WSJ:

But apparently even rank-and-file Russian soldiers view the Georgians and Americans as allies. Likewise, these simple Georgian country women seem to understand who their friends and enemies are. “I am very thankful to the West,” Maya said as her eyes welled up with tears. “They support us so much. We thought we were alone. I am so thankful for the support we have from the United States and from the West.”

(snip)

My translator, whose husband works for Georgia’s ministry of foreign affairs, made a similar guess that the West helped save the capital. “The night they came close to Tbilisi,” she said, “Bush and McCain made their strongest speeches yet. The Russians seemed to back down. Bush and McCain have been very good for us.”

Let’s see….Bush and McCain get the support of a people who are in a death struggle with evil and who cherish freedom and democracy. Obama gets the endorsement of the Communist party and some of his supporters hang Che Guevara posters in the campaign HQs.

That, in a nutshell, is the basic problem the Democrats have in handling foreign affairs. They can’t tell our friends from our enemies.

12. Wry Mouth says:

Life is unfair. Matt Treanor gets to be a professional baseball player AND married to Misty May?

It’s just too much to take. :o/

13. NC Cop says:

I like your proposal GWR!!! I second that! How do we get it passed in the House?!?!?! :d