Gov. Palin begins meetings with world leaders

Posted by: ST on September 23, 2008 at 2:08 pm

On a day that has seen Bush speak to the UN about terrorism while Iran’s Islamofascist “leader” was listening in the same room, and a day the press threatened a revolt if the McCain campaign didn’t give them more access to Gov. Palin while she visited the UN, the Gov. herself is busy getting to know various world leaders. The NYT is among the first to report, with a photo, about her meeting with Afganistan president Hamid Karzai.

Pressies and leftie pundits alike are growing frustrated at what they describe as the McCain campaign’s sheltering of Gov. Palin from press scrutiny because they won’t give the media access to her in a way campaigns typically do of their candidates. I know the McCain campaign is fed up with the media’s pro-Obama bias, which has been evident ever since he made his big speech at the DNC back in 2004 – and I can’t blame them for how they feel there, because I believe it’s had a big impact on what people think about Barack Obama versus John McCain. That said, I think the McCain campaign should relent some and make Gov. Palin more available for press interviews on the plane with the media group that travels with them, and before and/or after campaign stops. I believe the Gov. is more than capable of handling herself, as she’s had to grapple with the biased Anchorage Daily News for years now.

The McCain campaign’s protection of her reminds me of the week or so where she was being treated as a “victim” over the lipstick on a pig comment from Obama, among other things, when she herself has never struck me as someone who would play the “I’m a woman and therefore a victim” card. The more Team McCain keeps the media away from Gov. Palin, the worse it looks. Not only that, but McCain hasn’t had a presser in a while, either. Sure, the media’s going to be looking for a gaffe, but that’s to be expected. The media’s not going to get any better in the event that Team McCain relents on this issue. But I think there’s a real possiblity they could get worse. Now is not the time to stay clammed up.

I can understand wanting to limit press access during her meetings today with the various world leaders, but limiting it on a day to day basis while she’s out on the stump with or without McCain, at this stage of the game it makes no sense.

13 Responses to “Gov. Palin begins meetings with world leaders”

Comments

1. I agree totally. Maverick’s annoyance with the press is understandable and justified, but this will only look like petulance to people who don’t follow the politics of the media closely. And, like you, I suspect she can handle herself just fine. <):)

2. Jeanie says:

I agree. He needs to let her show herself. I think she will shine.

The press however, no matter how well she does, or would do, would crucify her just the same, and they know it. They have no intention of giving her the same attention, and passes they’ve freely given Obama.

3. Jillian says:

I’m with ya. I like Palin, and even if she can’t stand the heat, I’d rather have her start trying.

4. Great White Rat says:

So the press is threatening a “revolt” if they aren’t allowed to disrupt her campaign events? Because they find the rules set by the McCain team too restrictive?

Funny…it was only a few months ago that they were whimpering about the Obama campaign controlling access too tightly (LINK) – even the Dalai Bama’s unofficial mouthpiece, the NYT, got into the act – and there was no revolt. The Obamabots just told the MSM people to shut up and sit down, and that was the end of it.

That said, I’m mostly in agreement with ST here. I’m confident that Governor Palin can handle herself quite well in front of the media. But you must expect that they will be looking for every opportunity – real or imagined – to pounce. And when they do, it will be front page and above the fold, while they ignore real campaign questions that might hurt The One.

5. Becky says:

Sister! This is first time I’ve disagreed with you. (And the other posters here as well, apparently.) I love what the crusty, old maverick’s doing (and I don’t get to say that often about him) with this “hard-to-get” routine.

Let the people get a chance to know Sarah before the media get so many chances to twist and misrepresent her words.

6. Baklava says:

I would just say ST, that we don’t know what is going on.

The assertion by folks that McCain is protecting her may NOT be what is going on. We don’t know what is going on.

They may have decided together a schedule. She may be USING time on flights and I personally will not question her use of time.

Whether she is using her time for prayer, family, working out (which she likes to do) or studying the issues…. I think this illuminates the press and lefties negativism more than it illuminates ANYTHING about McCain or Palin.

She will prove more capable than Barack or Biden during pressers, debates, speeches and policy statements. People who are impatient are just that. Impatient.

Reporters are NOT reporting facts anyway.
    The people will see her like Ronald Reagan. Strong, confident, intelligent and speaking directly to the people.

7. omapian says:

Could the Real Reason to keep Gov. Palin away from the media be to protect the RINOS in congress? The crowds they draw together have been greater than Obama and Biden can muster. Senator McCain appeals to the RINOS and Governor Palin energizes the conservative base. If they were to separate, the enthusiasm of the conservative base could be a threat to the current batch of elected Republicans who have abandoned this base to curry favor in Washington circles.
    McCain got his maverick credentials by standing up to, and opposing, conservatives while reaching out to liberal democrats. Governor Palin, in her short career, has opposed the RINOS, and drew conservative democrats to her agenda.
    When Obama and McCain talk about change, one gets the message of career politicians. When Governor Palin speaks, one hears the heart of a working mother who is tired of excuses and wants results.

8. marybel says:

After Charlie Gibson’s editing of that interview that made minced meat out of whole passages, leaving out dialogue that made Palin’s answers not only understandable but smart, I think McCain is wise to keep Palin away from the press. (Maybe when they can behave like normal journalists…which may be never) After almost a month of the most rabidly vicious partisan articles, made up out of whole cloth, why would JMac stupidly allow yet another venue for the MSM to distort anything Palin says? My guess is Palin, being a newbie to national exposure, has a lot of ground to make up, much to learn, is making many rally appearances, and is working to ready herself for the debate. Why waste her valuable face time with press that is determined to skewer her? She has even cancelled fundraising to be on the stump. Time is short, why waste it on Gibson clones looking to attack when the country is already watching? Also, when was the last time Barack had a presser? He was always and still is incredibly aloof with the press – because he was and can still be without penalty. But who is hammering him?

9. Mwalimu Daudi says:

ST, I am far older (and far, far meaner) than most of your readers. The McCain campaign should treat the MSM the same way it would treat the Ku Klux Klan, the Nazi Party, and the Communist Party. As long as members of the MSM are not breaking any laws they should be left alone, but they should be shoved as far as possible out of civilized discourse. They deserve not the slightest benefit of the doubt, nor any actions that would give them even a tiny shred of credibility.

The MSM has a long and sordid history of breaking the law and advocating violence against anyone who gets in their way (look at their worship of Communism and Islamofascists). They should be treated just like any other hate group – and deserve whatever scorn and abuse they get.

A case in point: Several years ago CNN collaborated with Iraqi “insurgents” and helped to kill American soldiers. If there was any justice in this world the producers and reporters of that monstrosity would be on Death Row now. Why do CNN “reporters” still have press credentials after that?

Make no mistake – when the GOP decides to cooperate with the MSM “in order to get their message out”, it is as ruinous and one-sided as a pact with the Devil.

10. Don L says:

All she needs to do is keep a long list of Biden’s gaffe du jours and when she makes one -read the list to the public and announce that “of course I don’t have all the experience Joe does at making gaffes but give me time and I’ll get good at it too.”

11. Karolyn says:

Sarah Palin can handle the press – or anyone else – if she relies on her own considerable talent. It is the McCain campaign’s “instructors” who are giving her poor advice. They should stay out of the way and let her be herself. That woman is the one the masses love.