Media double standards on Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden

Posted by: ST on September 30, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Last week, I wrote about Joe Biden’s “Tuzla Moment,” where he falsely claimed that while in Afghanistan back in February his helicopter was “forced down,” implying the ‘copter came under enemy fire. As I pointed out, Jake Tapper did some digging and found out that Biden’s claim wasn’t true. Come to find out, that’s not Biden’s only questionable war zone claim, as Fox News Channel managing editor Bill Sammon writes:

When Hillary Clinton told a tall tale about “landing under sniper fire” in Bosnia, she was accused of “inflating her war experience” by rival Democrat Barack Obama’s campaign.

But the campaign has been silent about Obama’s running mate, Joe Biden, telling his own questionable story about being “shot at” in Iraq.

“Let’s start telling the truth,” Biden said during a presidential primary debate sponsored by YouTube last year. “Number one, you take all the troops out – you better have helicopters ready to take those 3,000 civilians inside the Green Zone, where I have been seven times and shot at. You better make sure you have protection for them, or let them die.”

But when questioned about the episode afterward by the Hill newspaper, Biden backpedaled from his claim of being “shot at” and instead allowed: “I was near where a shot landed.”

The senior senator from Delaware went on to say that some sort of projectile “landed” outside a building in the Green Zone where he and another senator had spent the night during a visit in December 2005. The lawmakers were shaving in the morning when they felt the building shake, Biden said.

“No one got up and ran from the room-it wasn’t that kind of thing,” he told the Hill. “It’s not like I had someone holding a gun to my head.”

The rest of the press ignored the flap at the time because Biden was viewed as having little chance of ending up on the Democratic presidential ticket. But even after Biden was selected to be Obama’s running mate last month, his claim to have been “shot at” drew no scrutiny from the same reporters who had savaged Clinton for making a similar claim that turned out to be false.

FOX News has been asking the Obama campaign for details of the alleged shooting in Iraq ever since Biden was tapped to be vice president. Biden campaign spokesman David Wade promised an answer last week, but failed to provide one.

No surprise there.

The media has engaged in a blatant double standard by by and large not following up on Biden’s Iraq and Afghanistan claims in contrast to how Hillary Clinton was skewered by the press for her false Tuzla claim, but that double standard is far from the only one. Remember how news outlets both on the ‘net and TV reported non-stop for about two or three days back in early January when Hillary Clinton “got emotional” and teared up a bit on the eve of the New Hampshire primary? Compare that with the lack of sustained media interest over several incidents of Joe Biden caught tearing up on the campaign trail. Yeah, several outlets reported on it, but you didn’t see the wall to wall, 24-7 coverage of any of the incidents like we did with Hillary Clinton’s show of her “softer side” while in NH.

The main reason, I suspect, is that Senator Joe Biden is on the side of “The One” – the MSM may not want to show Biden’s tears in an effort to not portray him as weak. Exactly the opposite with HRC. Of course in her case, the media frenzy backfired, as many attributed her New Hampshire win to a couple of things: the so-called “Bradley Effect” and her tears. As a testament to the attempt at portraying her as weak because she cried not working, the media didn’t spend nearly as much time covering her second crying moment in CT a month later.

Just sayin’.

8 Responses to “Media double standards on Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden”

Comments

1. Severian says:

You can tell Sarah Palin is inexperienced, why, she doesn’t even have a shamelessly embellished, exaggerated, under fire story to lie about!;)

Jake Tapper did some digging

More like a light dusting honestly. =))

I will not be surprised when several news agencies go out of business after McCain gets elected. People are hungry for the news, but they want it abit more fair and balanced. Not this anything for Barack Obama crud that we have now. – Lorica

3. Steve Skubinna says:

Sure, mock if you want, but let me tell you something: I sat next to a guy in a bar one time, whose brother once lived in a country where some other guy got shot, like, the year before.

And so I got some respect for High Speed Hillary and Fightin’ Joe, who are willing to lay it on the line for us. Yup, when you’ve been in the shit like I have (‘cuz I didn’t see none of you armchair warriors in that bar, man), the whinings of a lotta wannabes like all you pansies just don’t cut it. But that’s cool – me and Joe and Hillary are still willing to pay any price, bear any burden to protect your right to disrespect our sacrifice.

Semper Fi Fo Fum, man.

4. Steve Skubinna says:

Okay, maybe I should clarify because I don’t want any of you nitpickers to try discrediting my story: the guy that got shot was just shot at, and he was actually in the next country over from where the first guy’s brother once lived.

Which does not invalidate the larger point here.

5. Steve Skubinna says:

Okay, that guy that got shot, what I meant to say was that he got a shot, for tetanus or measles or something.

But my story still stands.

I think Sneery is possessing Steve right now. – Lorica =))

7. Steve Skubinna says:

Dude, that’s harsh. Sneery already thinks I’m some sort of war criminal, like his Dad. His Dad is retired Air Force, and spent his career managing golf courses, swimming pools, and clubs, but Sneery just knows that was a cover for black ops. He’s always badgering his father about what kinds of war crimes he committed, and has concluded that his refusal to discuss it is telling. Must have been some wicked bad stuff, figures Sneery.

He doesn’t pester me about it because while your basic 17 year old will give his parents all sorts of grief, the scary old guy down the street is another matter entirely. Sneery’s dad and I went out target shooting, and the kid was convinced we were really just checking to make sure the bodies were still undisturbed. He stayed away from my end of the street for a week.

Funny thing, Sneery never gives his mother any problems. But she just hasn’t been the same since Jerry Garcia died. She sits in the living room with the drapes closed listening to Grateful Dead bootlegs. I think she’s got every concert taped between ’69 and ’86. Between her and Sneery I don’t know how his Dad stays normal.

Hey, I like Workingman’s Dead as much as the next guy, but Jimmy Buffet’s more my idea of party music.

Well thank you for letting me know that you are the real Steve Skubinna. =)) Poor Sneery, anyone who has had to listen to the Grateful Dead for the last 16 years or so, should really seek out some counselling. – Lorica