Which party is the party of rage?

Posted by: ST on October 12, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Don’t believe the “rage” narrative being set by the ObaMedia about conservatives who are angry about the state of the race. Michelle Malkin decimates the narrative here in a post titled: Crush the Obamedia narrative: Look who’s “gripped by insane rage” – consider it a must-read.

Read related thoughts via Rick Moran.

Update 1: Still more, via the Rock Hill (SC) Herald:

Vandals spray-painted the words “Republican means slavery” on the door of the York County GOP campaign headquarters overnight Friday.

Party volunteers called police after discovering the message when they arrived at the office on Rock Hill’s Oakland Avenue. The vandals also stole about 45 candidate signs from the front yard and spray-painted over a banner that carried a picture of Republican presidential nominee John McCain. Their messages included lettering and symbols sometimes used by gangs.

Update 2 – 2:40 PM: Still more, via the Philly Inquirer:

Outside the Bellevue, Palin, sitting in her car, gave a little back and forth wave to the protesters, who in return gave her thumbs down and rounds of boos.

“Back to Alaska, They shouldn’t have Asked ya!” read one poster on the median.

Police said about 400 protesters lined the streets outside the hotel, the same number that organizers expected at the fund-raiser, chanting to each other and to passing motorists. Inside, Palin got her hair and makeup done at Pierre & Carlo Salon & Spa.

At times, Republicans attending the event and protesters confronted one another.

“They are hooligans,” said Bucks County restaurateur and McCain supporter Andrew Abruzzese, after he flashed a peace sign at protesters, who responded with raised middle fingers. Another Republican complained of being jostled.

Of Palin’s rise from PTA activist to City Council to mayor to governor to vice presidential candidate, Abruzzese said: “You couldn’t get a more natural progression than that.”

Several Republican attendees complained of the protesters’ vulgarity, especially in light of recent criticism of the behavior of people at McCain-Palin rallies.

Outside on Broad Street, waiting for Palin to leave, one man was heard saying: “Let’s stone her, old school.”

Another protester shouted at someone entering the hotel, “Wait till your daughter wants an abortion, you hypocrite.”

(h/t: ST reader GWR)

27 Responses to “Which party is the party of rage?”

Comments

1. ChenZhen says:

The difference is that these people are at the McCain/Palin rallies and expressing it to their faces. McCain actually got booed for saying Obama was “decent”.

2. LeavesOfGrass says:

ChenZen: I don’t think that’s much of a difference. Hate is hate no matter where it is. It just LOOKS worse because it is in front of him. Kudos to McCain for standing up to the woman who called Obama an Arab. I think it’s funny that being an Arab is actually considered a bad thing. The obvious assumption is that you’re a terrorist.

I think the Obama hatred is more disturbing because (IMHO) it is racially motivated. I think the hatred for McCain/Palin is more due to ideological differences but of course I can’t prove that.

3. NC Cop says:

LOL!! What a joke ChenZen!!!

What about the people who vandalized the private property of someone because they disagree with them? Any comment on that?

The left is full of rage since they lost the election in 2000. 2004 only amplified it when they thought they had a winner in John Kerry.

Comparing people booing to some of the bile that has been coming from the left is ridiculous. Only in a liberal’s mind are they comparable.

I noticed that they indicted the young man, the son of a DEMOCRAT politician in the Palin hacker case. Interesting how it wasn’t given much coverage.

The democrats have proven that they will use all means, legal and illegal, to win the election. Apparently the ends do justify the means, as long as it favors the democrats.

Oh, and as far as saying it to their faces. Most conservatives/Republicans have to work for a living. They don’t have time to go to rallies and scream obscenities at candidates. I mean, someone has to work to pay for all that welfare, right?

4. Right, Leaves. You think the vast majority of “hate” against Obama (and let’s face it “hate” to the left equates to vocal disagreement with Barack Obama’s policies) equates to “racism”?

Do you think that the type of hate Malkin noted that comes from the far left in her post is “not as bad” as the small amount of racial hate coming from a few on the far right just because it’s based on color? Do you think ideological hate is “more acceptable”?

Chen – your post makes no sense. Are you saying that because McCain supporters are showing their anger at campaign rallies that makes them worse than the lefties who express their hate in the dead of night or behind closed doors online where they can’t be challenged? How about the guy pointing a rifle at the head of the Gov. Palin “art” display? Or the “Mother I’d Like to Punch” “art” display? Or the “professional” photographer who photoshopped her pictures of McCain to include blood on his mouth, and a monkey defacating on his head? Do you think this is somehow “better” than a conservative expressing frustration at a McCain Palin rally?

Why is it that both of you feel the need to justify liberal hate? Is it really that hard for you to admit?

5. Jenn says:

I’ll second any booooooo for saying Obama Bin Bollocks is “decent”. He wouldn’t know decent if it slapped him upside the head.

Sorry, but decent people don’t chill with commies, terrorists, anti-American hate filled racist preachers and cultists.

6. Sparky says:

You must understand, the Dems love people that HATE AMERICA. The Dems hate America as much as we hate terrorists. The Dems have been praying for years now that America would lose the war in Iraq. They are tickled to death that America is in a financial crisis, a crisis they started with the C.R.A. If you profess a vile hate for everything America stands for, you will be welcome with open arms in the Democratic party. The Dems are filled with people who feel guilty for everything and anything. Our country is the reason for everything that has gone bad in the last 200 years. After Obama is elected, those who disagree will be sent to re-education camps. Group think tanks will straighten us out. Welcome to the United States DNC Karl Marx Institute of group thinking.

7. Great White Rat says:

Leaves, are you serious? You’re comfortable parroting the line that any attacks on Obama – for his tax plan, for his foolhardy Winnie-The-Pooh foreign policy, for his dissembling about associating with the likes of Ayers – are “racially motivated”. Yet you offer no proof, which isn’t surprising because the only side that has even mentioned race is the Obama campaign. And they do it at every opportunity to distract foolish people like yourself from considering the true issues.

Your faulty reasoning is that Obama is black, and therefore any disagreement with him or concern about where he will lead America is racist. Let’s play a little role reversal here. Sarah Palin is a Christian. Therefore I submit to you that any disagreement with her stamps you as an anti-Christian religious bigot who burns Bibles in your spare time.

Ridiculous? Of course, and so is the idea that you’re a racist if you don’t march in lock-step with Obama. Yet you only see one of those silly theories running around loose in the media. And that’s because the Obama campaign is interested in keeping your mind off the real choices facing America, and it’s easier to do that when you’re fear-mongering loudly about racists hiding behind every tree. The McCain campaign isn’t stooping to such dishonest tactics.

As for Chen, you’re saying that as long as someone doesn’t vent directly to a candidate, it doesn’t count? That’s weak tea, even for you. All the hate the left has spouted our over the years doesn’t matter. Have Air America hosts talk about murdering the President, and that’s OK with you…because there wasn’t a Democrat presidential candidate in the room when they did it. Take a shotgun and shoot up Republican storefront HQs, as happened often four years ago, and you look the other way unless there’s a film of John Kerry loading the shotgun. Slash tires and spray-paint vehicles with bumper stickers for McCain, and it wouldn’t bother you unless we have a Home Depot receipt proving Joe Biden bought the shiv or paint can. Have Alec Baldwin go on national TV and call for murdering Henry Hyde, and you chuckle and pass it off because it wasn’t an election year, therefore no candidates present. And judging from the remarks one of your fellow Obama supporters spewed yesterday (see the update above), the idea of stoning people who disagree with leftist policies seems to be catching on.

Most of us here have observed long ago that the left has completely taken leave of common civility and decency. Thanks for proving it once again.

8. Steve Skubinna says:

This is not the behavior of people confident of victory – unless they’re anticipating inflicting vengeance upon their opponents after they win. Either way. it’s ugly.

And if Leaves and Chen want to equate booing Obama with physical assault and vandalism, or even with the vile filth spewed at McCain and Palin, then all I have to say is: Racist racist racist. Racist racist. Racist!!!!

9. Marshall Art says:

Leaves,

Your faulty reasoning is that Obama is black, but he’s only half black. I don’t like either half. The last thing I’d ever care about in a candidate is either skin color or gender. I care about what side of the issues he puts himself and so far, he’s on the wrong side every time. Race. Who the hell cares about race anymore? I mean, besides the lefty/lib/Dem contingent?

10. Jeanie says:

After all of the meanest, cruelest most vile treatment that Mrs. Palin , and her family took at the hands of Democrats/Liberals, and their supporters….well…what goes around, comes around. It was disgusting, and still is. The attacks have tapered, but they’re still out there.

I don’t agree with any racial slurs, but people are fed up, and angry. The press has sat on vital information for months, on Obama. He has yet to be properly vetted. So when Palin takes the lead to do this, they cry racism. I’m so sick of hearing racism.

Aren’t the threats the left make, of rioting if Obama loses, racism? Is it racism when a black person decides he’s not really on board with Obama’s ideologies, so wants to vote the other way, and gets called a traitor, or worse, by other people that are black?

It just amazes me how many times we sit here, and listen to one excuse after the other, why it’s ok for Obama, but God forbid anyone else. Obama got help from a man, getting into Harvard, and this man espoused how he, would like to cut the ears, and noses off of white people. Isn’t that racism? Terrorism?

I go to the ABC website, just to debate. I was pretty much denied my freedoms of speech today..when posting vital info they choose not to report on. Seems it’s already starting. If you don’t glorify the Messiah, as Farrakhan put it….you’re to be shut up!

11. Proof says:

Add to the tales of rage the two hotheads in Portland who firebombed a McCain sign. No hate there!

12. NC Cop says:

CNN is the same way. I noticed my comment was “awaiting moderation” while several comments posted AFTER mine were already there.

Paging George Orwell!!!!!

13. LeavesOfGrass wrote “I think the Obama hatred is more disturbing because (IMHO) it is racially motivated.”

Sigh.

Folks, we’re going to hear this for 4 (or 8?) years if Obama is elected. This will usher in a new era of McCarthyism that will make old Joe look like a pussycat.

Also, I saw the Malkin piece. It’s a pretty awesome, and distrubing, roundup of leftist hatred.

14. BeachBabe NC says:

Ahhh Tom Red.. Bite your tongue, 4 to 8 yrs.. of Obama in office. hmmm I wonder how living in Australia would be?

As far as I am concerned, the News Media owns the anger the Republicans feel. How many jack ass stories do we have to endure??? All in the name of bringing down a Vice Presidential Candidate. It is idiotic to believe that this anger is based on race, and someone needs to stop listening to the Main Stream News media. – Lorica

16. LeavesOfGrass says:

Wrong. Contrary to what you think, I think it’s possible to disagree with someone ideologically without injecting race/color/whatever into the argument. And I realize this isn’t possible for some people.

But I think to ignore the fact that some supporters showing up to McCain / Palin rallies (and apparently getting microphone time) are not racist is simply disingenuous. Are hate filled people showing up to Obama rallies? You bet. The Philly Inquirer article clearly shows that.

Do you think ideological hate is “more acceptable”?

No I don’t and I’m sorry my post came across like that. Like I said, hate is hate no matter what side it’s on. Malkin is correct in that there is hate on both sides. But lets not ignore the hatred problem on one side just because the other side does it. Where’s the blog post on this site that’s bashing the racist supporters showing up at McCain’s rally?

17. LeavesOfGrass says:

Actually I wasn’t really talking about the fact that he is black (or mulatto as you say). I was referring to the problem that he is wrongly considered an Arab. A lot of people on the right seem to care about it otherwise they wouldn’t be bringing it up. Why is being an Arab a bad thing again?

Personally I don’t really care for most of Obamas’ stances on issues. I figured I would be lumped in with the left from my initial comment. This is far from the truth.

18. Jim Treacher says:

McCain actually got booed for saying Obama was “decent”.

People at a campaign rally booed the name of the candidate’s opponent? I’m not sure the republic will ever recover.

19. Steve Skubinna says:

Way to go, ST, you got Treacher! Can a visit from Lileks be far behind? And get ready for the Instalanche!!!

20. Great White Rat says:

Leaves says:

One ill-informed and prejudiced person in a crowd is hardly “a lot of people”. I invite you to search the archives here, or in almost any other right-of-center web site. You won’t find a trace of that sort of thought. I’ve never heard it from any of the regular commenters here, and certainly never from ST.

On the contrary, you’ll find that our disagreement with Obama is entirely based on his politics, his naivete, and his lack of executive experience. But as I said above, the Obama campaign apparently thinks it’s to their advantage to pretend it’s all racially motivated.

21. Great White Rat says:

One final thought: which side marginalizes haters, and which side puts them front and center?

McCain is busy telling his audiences that they shouldn’t even BOO Obama, for Chrissakes. He’s gone beyond distancing himself from the haters, he doesn’t even want us to be vocal about our disagreement with the other side.

On the other hand, Obama is telling his side to “get in our faces” – to crash rallies, to be disruptive, to shout things like the Inquirer article noted.

And also bear in mind that all of the Democrat candidates in the presidential primaries this past year – every single one – made a point of crawling on their hands and knees to the hate and bile convention known as the Yearly Kos to beg for their support.

And you’re coming here and worrying because one misguided person in a crowd thinks Obama’s an Arab?? Give me a break… 8-|

Speaking of insighting hatred.

WASHINGTON (AP) – Rep. John Lewis, a Georgia Democrat and veteran of the civil rights movement, says the negative tone of the Republican presidential campaign reminds him of the hateful atmosphere that segregationist Gov. George Wallace fostered in Alabama in the 1960s.

LINK

Did anyone tell this person that George Wallace was a Democrat?? That he stands in agreement with the party that wanted him to be a slave, that wanted to keep him from voting or being represented. So much foolishness. So many deceived.

Attempting to play on white guilt by comparing McCain to Wallace is racist. How about a statement condemning Obama’s surrogates who have questioned McCain’s use of his life experiences. This election cycle has gotten to the point of stupidity. I am seriously so happy there is only 3 weeks left.
    - Lorica

23. LeavesOfGrass says:

I agree!

Link please?

One person? Come on dude….if you honestly believe that there are not a whole subset of people on the right who are actively promoting the idea that Barack is an Arab then you’re just being naive. Simply Google it and you’ll find plenty of such cases. And I’m not suggesting that McCain is promoting such ideas either. He’s clearly not.

24. Great White Rat says:

Leaves, again, are you serious? Do you really mean that you missed Obama’s challenge to his supporters? It’s been all over the news and the web for nearly a month now.

On the chance that you really did miss it, and aren’t just stringing us along, try this link, which comes from AP, a generally pro-Obama source:

In Elko, Obama tried to anticipate his critics and called on the crowd of about 1,500 to sharpen their elbows, too.

“I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors. I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face,” he said.

And if you’re next going to claim that this isn’t encouraging the sort of hate and intolerance you’re seeing from the left, think about their past history and how “get in their face” will be interpreted by the average Kossack.

Now, here’s a question for you: are you going to the leftist web sites and expressing your concern for hate campaigning there? Do their firebombings and their past history of physical – not verbal – violence bother you as much as the possibility that some people mistakenly think Obama’s an Arab? If you have, please link. I think I know how the leftists would react to any such comments, but I’d love to see it in action. If you haven’t – if you think thoughts are worse than deeds – then frankly, I think your standards for judging the sides are in serious need of re-evaluation.

25. LeavesOfGrass apparently doesn’t have Google on his computer.

Thanks, GWR, for sparing me the trouble of having to post the link myself!

26. Great White Rat says:

Leaves, if you haven’t disappeared, take a look at this charming piece of work, found right on Obama’s web site. Then try to tell me Obama isn’t intentionally running a campaign of hate….while at the same time McCain is telling his supporters to refrain from even booing Obama.