Posted by: ST on March 2, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I can’t really find too much to argue with what Michelle Malkin said here regarding RNC Chair Michael Steele’s recent comments (audio and video here of Steele’s comments and Rush’s response) about Rush Limbaugh and how Steele fed right into the mainstream media/lefty (but I repeat myself) playbook in agreeing with their over-simplistic characterizations of Rush Limbaugh – and of the convention goers at the GOP National Convention. For the last comment, where he didn’t speak up and protest when the interviewer (CNN’s D.L. Hughley) said that the GOP convention looked like “Nazi Germany,” Steele owes every single conservative an apology. You’ve got to stand up for your party, Michael!

As far as his comments on Rush Limbaugh, the gang at Hot Air make some good points here that also speak to what this “issue” is about and how Steele is someone in a position to have to try and play things “down the middle” now, and most of the commentary there seems to be at odds somewhat with Malkin’s analysis. No way would Steele outright say he wants “Obama to fail” because he would fall into the media’s trap of trying to pigeonhole conservatives. But he could have easily said that it’s more of a thing of wanting to see America prosper and succeed, but not as a result of the socialistic policies taking root but instead because of the strong spirit and determination of the American business owner and worker.

It’s certainly not up to Steele to explain and rationalize for Rush, but anyone who watched Rush’s speech this weekend knows what was at the heart of what he was saying, and it was that conservative ideals aren’t just good for conservatives; they’re much better for America than the socialism disguised as “compassionate liberalism” this country is being force fed thanks to Barack Obama and his administration, and the Democrats in Congress. There was a way Steele could have argued that point without coming across as a Rush devotee – AND without throwing Rush under the bus. As I’ve said a thousand times before, it’s not so much what you say, but how you say it.

With Barack Obama already setting the tone in DC in terms of trying to paint everyone Republican as a mindless “RushBot,” it’s important for Steele, Cantor and other prominent Republicans to make it clear that they speak for themselves and, oh yeah, that there are many conservatives and conservative pundits – including Rush – who think similarly because they too are … gasp! … conservatives. What Steele did here, again, was to feed into every media stereotype there is as it relates to Rush and the conservatives who listen to him. This will, unfortunately, set the standard for arguments from him along these same lines for months to come, where he will do everything he can while on liberal news networks to try and “appeal” to lefties who wouldn’t touch the Republican party with a ten foot pole, and he’ll do so by being “agreeable” to certain liberal myths about conservatives in order to “fit in.”

I’m not sure what else to add to this. I know I rambled on a bit but my thoughts on this were all over the place. I guess I should have just written one sentence and said: “Michael Steele, I am disappointed in you.” I’m one of many conservatives who have talked him up over the last several years as being a rising star in the party, as one who could help rebuild it and get it back on the map. But if he’s going to continue to treat conservatives with this kind of contempt and not stand up for them when they’re compared to one of the most vicious regimes in the history of the world, then I will no longer considermyself as a part of his support network.

Update: Steele has revised/clarified/whatever his remarks on Rush and has apologized for saying things that don’t bring the party together. Whatevs.

8 Responses to “Michael Steele goes from massive support to massive outrage in just a few seconds”

Comments

That “rising star” just flamed out. He is no better than the jackass wannabees we have been sending to Congress the last 12 years who say they’re conservative and then vote for every piece of pork in sight, including the tons they themselves put in.

For God’s sake, congressman, it’s my money, not yours. And for God’s sake, Mr. Steele, it’s our money, not the guvmint’s, and if the Big Zero and the donkeys (with the help of three so-called Republicans) plan on burying us all in a mountain of debt you bet we want him and them to fail. At that, anyway. And “health care” (a thought-up name to fool people into getting a health delivery system as bad as England’s or Canada’s). And almost any other program they (and the MSM) keep telling us they have a “mandate” for.

Get a life, Michael. Or a new set of hearing aids so you can hear what we knuckledraggers are screaming about.

2. NC Cop says:

Criticism of Rush wasn’t that big of a deal, but if that’s all he’s got to say when someone says the Republicans resemble the Nazi party, then I do not think this is the new leadership we need.

He should have blasted that guy, verbally of course, into next week. The Nazis were one of the most ruthless, murderous, hate filled organizations in the history of man. To casually compare the Republicans to them is nothing short of disgusting and ignorant, but hey, it is CNN.

3. Carol says:

As I learn more about Steele, he reminds me of John McCain … kissing the mainstream media’s butt and headed for the same trap. Sooner or later both sides are going to have to admit Rush makes sense. I truly am praying for a miracle, someone who can bring everyone together to fight this Obama machine. I enjoyed Rush’s speech. It sure made a lot of sense to me.

4. I’m very disappointed in Michael. Like you, ST, I’ve been a strong backer of him since I first heard of him in, I think, the 2006 Maryland senate race. His characterization of Rush was bad enough: I’m not a fan of Limbaugh, I think he often goes too far and oversimplifies, but I watched that speech at CPAC and it was very good. Not mean-spirited, not angry, but humorous, engaging, and at times insightful. I have to wonder if Steele saw it.

The lack of a retort to the “Nazi” comment really bugs me, however. It was sheer bigotry (anti-White bigotry, at that) on Hughley’s part, it cheapened the true horror of the Nazis by comparing them to a political convention, and it was historically ignorant: American conservatism is classical liberalism, aiming toward a small government of limited powers in a free market system. The Nazis were race-obsessed nationalist socialists who believed in the totalitarian control of the State over society. The difference between that and American conservatism couldn’t be more stark. For Michael to sit there and take that insult quietly, to not defend the US Right and Center-Right from that load of garbage … I’m just left shaking my head and thinking “WTF??” ~:>

5. forest hunter says:

Have we learned nothing from history, even as recent as the last election cycle, if nothing else. Bipartisan is merely code for leave your values and character outside on the hook, come in and break bread with confirmed slayers of the Constitution and enemies of the State. I have no burning desire to work with those who are committed to the destruction of America! PERIOD! The jackals who would portray themselves to be *lookin out for the little guy* want nothing short of absolute control over the lot of us. Those too blinded by the *Johnny feel good* speeches are caught in a web of self-induced, euphoric, thoughtless emotions. They already made their choice of who they serve and it aint the people of America!

…..and Ann Coulter is too easy on’em!

We need to stand together and get after these miscreants! Their malfeasance is beyond my ability to compromise a thing with them, apart from either tar and feathering or a hanging of each and every last culprit.

6. Foxx says:

Another slap in the face by another so called leader. Steele for the fail.

7. Lyn says:

Who the hell is Hughley? Never heard of him. What did Steele have to gain from giving this Hughley any kind of interview? Credibility? Steele was stupid. Republicans need a sharper lead man.

8. Greg says:

Michael Steele might have apologized to Rush (kind of sort of) but he hasn’t apologized to me.

The controversy about Michael Steele and Rush Limbaugh (who I don’t really particularly listen to anymore) is more than about Rush. When the liberal talk show host said that CPAC looked like a bunch of Nazis Michael Steele nodded in agreement.

Some said his nodding wasn’t in agreement with that statement but still at the very least he was quiet and did not speak out against that outrageous statement.

This is more than about Rush the person. This was about the speech he gave and if you listened to the speech and agree with it then it is not only Rush but you, and all other grassroots conservatives that Michael Steele has rebuked in the harshest of terms.

Well, if that is the way the “leader” of the GOP feels about me then I say no, no, no, not God Bless the GOP, GOD D**N the GOP. It isn’t the party I thought I knew!

Edited. – ST