Attempts at delegitimizing the Tea Party movement have failed

Posted by: ST on April 15, 2009 at 6:54 pm

It’s been comical the last couple of months to watch the far left attempt to delegitimize the Tea Party movement by suggesting it was “organized and coordinated” by big name right wingers and right wing groups, an implication that the movement is not “grassroots” and therefore “not real.” Of course, they’re doing so today – perhaps they’re feeling left out? – and in the process trying to paint the movement as a “closet” racist movement because a few kooks in crowds of thousands in certain cities made a$$es out of themselves (in contrast to the regularity in which left wing kooks pretty much control anti-war/military/US protests).

First things first: The facts on the origins of the movement speak for themselves. There may be big name sponsors of the parties now, but that no more detracts from the movement itself than the fact that big name anti-war groups have sponsored and/or organized massive anti-war protests nationwide over the last several years (examples).

Second, the pictures don’t lie. Malkin’s got several here from around the country (including a video). Here’s a write-up in today’s online edition of the Observer on the Tea Party held here in Charlotte, where our liberal paper estimates at least 2,000 were in attendance. Here are photos and video of the Naples, FL Tea Party. A sizeable number of people in this country are fed up with escalating taxes and a growing nanny-state government, and they’re making their voices heard. That is grassroots, I don’t care how you slice it.

Oops – I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to interupt the left’s meaningless rants with a cold dose of reality. My bad.

Carry on.

• The Right Nation trackbacked with Tea Party Round-Up & Open Trackback...
  • 16 Responses to “Attempts at delegitimizing the Tea Party movement have failed”

Comments

As noted elsewhere, attendance would have been significantly higher nationwide but the people who hold to the stated aims of the Tea Parties are generally the ones who are also productive members of our society, not the ones with any amount of time to do whatever to protest anything because it’s the guvmint’s job to make them happy.

2. Diane says:

Hi! I saw this linked from MM. I’m in Winston Salem, NC and they said close to 3000 were at the Sawtooth center today. I thought it was closer to a little over 1000, but, I did leave early.

What was so heartwarming was the nearly constant wailing of car horns of happy approval. When I stood with these folks, all I saw was total civility. No one with effigies and blood spurting from faux presidential orifices as in leftist protests of the not-so-distant past. No, these were families, friends, and fellow Americans. They were sure of their convictions and their constitution and took time out of their day and work to say no MORE. I was so pleased.

While it makes me want to pull my hair out to see CNN (despicable) reporters act as if they’re in the midst of a lynch mob, we know the truth. And these numbers alone should mean something to every elected official on both sides.

Thanks for your report!

3. russ says:

Went to the one in Columbia SC. I was really impressed with the crowd. I saw one anti- Confederate flag guy ( the left will not leave the issue alone dispite a compromise that removed the flag from atop the StateHouse and placed it at the Confederate Memorial). He disappeared in a short span of time.

4. Honda says:

We (2 adults, 4 children) just got back from Houston and the response was incredible at Jones Plaza. I’m estimating that we had close to 1,000 in the plaza itself and another 200 or so outside the plaza.

Why were they outside you ask? Because local authorities had determined that we were causing a problem with traffic and closed us down and would not let anyone eles in.

However, everyone was civil, we were fired up and the infiltrators minded their own business. If you add up the various attenders from the suburb cities (e.g. Katy, Sugarland, Ft. Bend, Kingwood, etc.) “Houston: probably hit over 2,000.

God Bless America

5. Kathy says:

I went to the one in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. I was so proud. How many protests start with an invocation, the Pledge of Allegiance and the Star Spangled Banner? There wasn’t any nastiness or anger. We didn’t have politicians speaking, just everday folks from the crowd who talked about the issues. I’m proud to be a citizen of the United States.

6. Diana says:

My husband and I just got back from a Tea Party in Downtown Dallas and I would estimate about 2500 to 3000. I was suprised at how many college age people that I saw. Good. They are the ones that will be paying for this mess so they need to pay attention!

7. I was at the rally in Charlotte. My husband was interviewed by the WBTV (CBS ch. 3) – it was broadcast at 6pm. The other media there – the local NBC and ABC affiliates were there but did NOT report it in their newscasts. However they did do a segment on Obama’s speech. No bias there, eh?

There were a minimum of 2000 there because there were 2000 fliers produced for the event and those were gone quickly – so I’d say closer to 3000. We occupied the entire space for the protest and overflowed on the opposite side of the street. Very orderly and nice crowd.

Grassroots is LOCAL – and that’s what makes the politicians nervous today – because all politics is local. “Vote ’em out” was a popular chant in the crowd today.

My favorite sign: “Reduce spending, elect drunken sailors”.

8. STFleming says:

I am a 63-year old grandmother who just found out today that I can’t get my $400,000. home refinanced at the lower interest rate because it is only now worth $260,000. I was planning on going to the tea-party in Kalamazoo anyway. Drove with another disabled Senior citizen where we carried signs to express our disapproval of Big Govt. I am a volunteer driver for the county to get needy people to their medical appts. Today my client let me know that she wanted an ice cream cone too. What have we in America become?

9. camojack says:

I was going to ride my Harley to a “T.E.A. party”…but it was raining.
      (April showers an’ all that)

I guess I’m just a “fair weather patriot”… :(

10. Carolynp says:

I took my two young kids (5 & 7) to the Salem Oregon Tea Party. Someone said they overheard the press saying there were a thousand folks there, and we were all saying it looked like FAR more to us. An amazing turnout for such a liberal state. My husband said there was nearly a fight at his office when one guy said the protesters were a bunch of biggots and a few someone elses said they wished they could join the protest. I should also mention that our protest was huge DESPITE the number of people who were either working on taxes or doing taxes, I suspect this would have bumped the numbers.