9/11: 8 years later

Posted by: ST on September 11, 2009 at 8:50 am

So many lives lost, so many dreams shattered. An America changed forever.

Even though it’s been eight years since 9/11, sometimes it feels like it really wasn’t all that long ago. The pain is still fresh for a lot of us – especially for those who lost loved ones because trained Islamofascistic thugs wanted to send the west a “message” that “infidels” must pay for their “crimes” against Islam. The pain is still fresh to the point that it is still hard for a lot of us to talk about what happened that day without choking up, hard for us to comprehend what was going through the minds of 9/11 victims like Peter Edward Mardikian, a young newlywed who didn’t work at the Twin Towers but nevertheless was at Windows on The World for a business presentation that morning.

Years ago, I wrote my story about how I had been in NYC on that tragic day, not at the Towers but in Times Square as a friend and I were preparing to leave to go back to our respective homes that afternoon. We didn’t make it to our respective homes until Friday of that same week, but we considered ourselves the fortunate ones. We were out of harm’s way, and didn’t lose anyone we knew. But nevertheless we felt a numbing, gutwrenching pain over the senseless losses of life, of the uncensored images we saw of the towers burning, the people jumping. It’s a time in our lives we will never, ever forget.

No one should ever forget.

God bless the families of the victims, and God bless the men and women of our military who have waged war and continue to wage war against Islamofascists all over the world.

• A Blog For All trackbacked with 9/11: Eight Years Later...
  • 11 Responses to “9/11: 8 years later”

Comments

1. Kate says:

My sincere condolences go out to all survivors in NYC and to you Sister….this is something that should be remembered and a lesson should be learned from it out of respect for all the loss of life and pain. That lesson is: Know your enemies.

2. Army Mom says:

Even though I was not there, I too feel gut wrenching pain and anger over 9/11. America was irrevocably changed. I cannot imagine how deeply it affects you Sister, having been there on that day.

Never Forget!!

Today, I am wearing black. Tomorrow, I go protest.

ABC ran a short in their evening newscast that was designed to give traction to the “Truthers”, and I personally think all three networks should be avoided because crap like that has no business in our country today. The story was spun to evoke questions along those lines; it could have just as easily been spun to show the incompetence of government work.

Now, Truthers would have us believe a vast conspiracy of untold detail and magnificence. That is one version. The other is untold incompetence resulting in missing an obvious chance (in hindsight, of course) to delay or stop the tragedy of 9/11.

I know which version I’d chose, based on my experience as a government worker and my experience as a citizen, and it wouldn’t be to give the government credit for being able to accomplish anything resembling competence.

4. Anthony says:

I can’t imagine what it must have been like to be in New York that awful day. I’m glad you weren’t hurt.

It was still dark in Los Angeles, and I was getting ready for work when I heard of the first plane hitting the tower on the radio. I tuned in to CNN just in time to watch the 2nd plane hit, and to hear some idiot talking head wonder if something hadn’t gone wrong with the auto-pilot controls. (!)

On the way to work, I passed the Federal Building and saw it ringed by FBI agents in body armor and carrying assault weapons, and soon after I got to work, the towers fell. Now I know how my mother and father could remember every detail of where they were and what they were doing when they heard of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor: it’s just burned into your memory.

And now, eight years later, we have a president who writes about a “national day of service.” Message to the President and Commander in Chief: Forget the platitudes. We’re at war.

5. Great White Rat says:

I was in a corporate training seminar at the Newark Airport Hilton, right across US 1 from the airport where Flight 93 began its journey. From the upper floors, there was a horrifyingly excellent view of the burning towers. It’s one thing to see it on TV, it’s another to be in a room and hear someone say “What the hell happened to the other tower? It was there a second ago.”

That night, the local police sealed off every entrance to the airport with snowplows, the heaviest vehicles they had on hand. Every plow was accompanied by at least one police cruiser, and the police were armed with rifles at the port. NO one was getting in there that night.

6. Great White Rat says:

Amen to that, ST.

Here’s another view. Can you guess whose?

We must also engage, however, in the more difficult task of understanding the sources of such madness… Most often, though, it grows out a climate of poverty and ignorance, helplessness and despair.

We will have to make sure, despite our rage, that any U.S. military action takes into account the lives of innocent civilians abroad. We will have to be unwavering in opposing bigotry or discrimination directed against neighbors and friends of Middle-Eastern descent. Finally, we will have to devote far more attention to the monumental task of raising the hopes and prospects of embittered children across the globe—children not just in the Middle East, but also in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe and within our own shores.