Obama denied: 2016 Summer Olympics go to Rio

Posted by: ST on October 2, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Will the world come to an end?

COPENHAGEN — The Olympics were awarded to a South American city for the first time when the International Olympic Committee on Friday voted for Rio de Janeiro to host the 2016 Games.

Rio de Janeiro beat Madrid in the final round of voting, 66-32. The committee delivered an unexpectedly early knockout blow to Chicago, which was eliminated in the first round. Tokyo was gone in the second.

Jacques Rogge, the president of the committee, made the announcement, sending crowds in Rio de Janeiro into celebration.

The announcement was shown live on Rio’s Copacabana beach, where tens of thousands of people had begun the party early in front of a main stage flanked by screens. As the envelope was opened in Copenhagen and the city’s name rang out, a loud scream rose from the crowd. Confetti exploded from the stage, as the people, dressed in shorts and bikinis, jumped to samba music and waved Brazilian flags and balloons of green and yellow, the national colors. The crowd spread to the water’s edge, and more people continued to arrive for a celebration that promised to last well into the night.The scene was different earlier in Chicago as throngs in Daley Plaza gasped in disappointment when Rogge announced that Chicago was out. It was a surprising verdict, especially after President Obama’s whirlwind trip to boost the bid of his adopted city. Mr. Obama was the first American president to make an in-person appeal for a bid city, and the first lady, Michelle Obama, had also come this week to lobby I.O.C. members for votes. The Obamas were flying back to Washington at the time of the vote. A spokesman said Mr. Obama still believed it had been worth the effort.

Chicago’s bid leaders had worked for nearly four years and spent close to $50 million to try to bring the Summer Olympics to the United States for the first time in 20 years. Chicago had been considered among Olympic insiders as a favorite to win the Games, along with Rio.

Instead, the I.O.C. crushed an American city’s hopes for the second straight time. New York’s bid was eliminated in the second round of voting for the 2012 Olympics.

The WH, who earlier this week had the audacity to question the patriotism of those who thought he should be worrying about more urgent matters like, oh, I dunno – Afghanistan? – had this to say on the question of whether or not it was appropriate for the POTUS to be lobbying for the Olympics:

Q Did he put too much presidential prestige on the line by coming, win or lose?

MR. GIBBS: No. Three world leaders showed up here in addition to us. Again, if he hadn’t come, I’m sure people would say, I can’t believe he didn’t go and push the American bid for the Olympics; we’re out of the first round because the President didn’t — you know. Look, if you can’t take that sort of just base level of gnat-like criticism, then it’s probably the wrong gig.

Got that? If you felt like the President had more pressing needs to address in this country right now, then your criticism – according to the WH – is nothing more than “gnat-like.” Yes, I know – you’re just as shocked as I am that Gibbs would say something like that about his bosses’ critics.

Oh well. They’ve still got the Olympic-esque Greek columns/temple set on which to look back fondly.

And speaking of Rio, I can’t end this post without including the video for the song Rio, which was done by one of my favorite 80s bands – Duran Duran:

Related: A quick Rio ‘factbox” – via Reuters.

23 Responses to “Obama denied: 2016 Summer Olympics go to Rio”

Comments

1. Mwalimu Daudi says:

Obviously the International Olympic Committee is a pack of racists who are afraid of a black President.

2. Great White Rat says:

You beat me to it, MD…. :)

Actually, MD, it’s us gnats who are the racists.

I also suspect this is a partial payback for the trampy “gifts” Duh-1 has been giving European leaders.

Ain’t it wonderful we’ve got such an acute diplomat for POTUS now, instead of a shoot-from-the-hip cowboy (who probably would have decided at the last minute his presence was all that was needed) absolutely no one outside the U.S. liked, and darn few inside? Why, Frenchy K. himself couldn’t have done much better, Duh-1 was so good at tet-a-tetting.

Hopefully, this is just the first in a long line of defeats for that arrogant toad.

4. Great White Rat says:

The surprising thing is that he didn’t have his usual collection of Chicago thug attorneys try to throw all the other cities off the ballot. That’s his normal modus operandi.

Maybe he figured that because he’s now president, everyone would simply be taken in by his complete awesomeness, and reciting a few lines off the old teleprompter would be enough to win the day.

5. Brontefan says:

I work during the day… so did he apologize for us again??

6. Nancy in Texas says:

I’ve read elsewhere that The Won and his troop of libtards are blaming Pres. Bush for this. They’re claiming that Bush made things for “foreigners” too difficult to make them want to come here. Never mind that this lousy POTUS spent his apology tour trashing America. How much did WE have to pay so that these people and their tiresome racist pal, Oprah, could make the “sacrifice” to fly in luxury to Copenhagen while we peons are trying to figure out how to cope with the stimulus fallout?

7. Good choice on the song “Rio.” I emailed the video around to my office mates.

8. What a shame the racketeering scum of the Chicago Machine won’t have this windfall to skim-off of, LOLOL

Aren’t things going great since Valerie Jarret has been running the country?

9. Jo says:

Unbelievable and what an insult! Were they not blown away and taken in by his inherent wonderfulness? Didn’t they find his self-centered, egotistical, narcissistic speech awe-inspiring and convincing??? How could this have happened??? Did they miss the memo that he is THE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT OF AMERICA and therefore entitled to whatever he personally wants to pay back his AFL-CIO cronies and Chicago thugs?

10. Pascal-Henri says:

As a fact,because I worked and lived in the USA,UK and France the past 30 years (am only 46),I know this: So the USA haven’t got the 2016 Olympics,no matter (as they had it quite before): It will give a chance to Brazil to show that they can use that opportunity to better their schooling system and many poor areas and their big logging crisis.

In judging,you must see the whole: The USA is only 233 years old so giv’em a break. BrazilChina,South Africa…to give a few are far older and are they as democratic,free,greened? Ummm,you tell us…so let’s chill and good luck for Brazil,as there is still 6 years to go…

11. Tango says:

…I was in Chicago twice last month. Who in their right mind would vote to go there when they could go to Rio? b-)

12. Bill says:

Looks like the politicians/criminals in Chicago won’t be getting their Olympic stimulus.

Now I’ll just sit back and wait for Carter, Sharpton, Pelosi, and the rest of the Dumocrats try to blame it on racism.

And to the people of Brazil….contratulations!. You’ll enjoy losing billions of dollars that you could have used for more important things in life.

13. Kate says:

News flash…covered by MSNBC last night….video of conservative organizations and talk persona wallowing in the defeat of Obama’s Chicago 2016 Olympics bid…..and whose to blame…..former President Bush! Again, retread excuse. How long do you think they will get traction with that? Maybe next time they can say the dog ate the really good speech?

My question is to the libtards at MSNBC….are you spying on the conservatives as a rule and then making that news? Hey, you are boosting their ratings you fools!

I found I had a weird sense of happiness, a tingling up my legs, so to speak, as I watched the assembled crowds in Chicago when they were told Nix to Shytown….first ballot! They had puzzled looks on their faces….clueless in Chicago. Hey Sister I wanted to do the Happy Dance, too!

14. Great White Rat says:

He probably thought the IOC voting was like Chicago voting, where he could count on the votes of every long-dead IOC member. Maybe Axelrod told him it was all arranged. :d

And of course this is Bush’s fault! If Obama’s dog Bo has an accident on the best White House rug, I’m sure he and MEshell mutter “Damned Bush” while ringing for the servants to clean it up.

15. Alex says:

Going to Copenhagen on a sales pitch was an amateur move and beneath the position which Obama holds. We are clearly in a rut of second-rate leaders…first, Bush and now Obama. :((

16. “MR. GIBBS:…if he hadn’t come, I’m sure people would say, I can’t believe he didn’t go and push the American bid for the Olympics”

No, I don’t think so.

Pascal-Henri, I’m sure your experience abroad gave you quite an education, but I must take issue with a couple of points.

First, Brazil is not appreciably older than the United States, and certainly not any older if one considers their age as starting when independence from Portugal was attained.

Second, I find it hard to believe anyone would think a democracy is defined by a country that allows only one party to run in an election and allows only one candidate per position. Call me old-fashioned, but that just doesn’t seem to fit any definition of democracy before the Russian Revolution nearly a century ago.

‘Course, when you’re the only game in town you can call your electoral process anything you want.

And if you’re a liberal, you can define any term any way you want and be correct because, gosh darn it, those libs are just so much more intelligent and intellectual than us knuckledraggers and what do we know about the reality of illusion, anyway?

18. Burn the Witch says:

Ya know, with two wars goin’ on, the economy, healthcare reform, etc…the More Important Things™ that He and His Media have to worry about right freakin’ now are aquiring games & stuff for 2016.

Gibbs is again showing both his ability to read minds and foretell the future. He is such a dumbass, he makes dumbasses look smart. Actually I have to wonder if Chicago wouldn’t had made it further if PBO had stayed in the US. I guess we will never know, especially since I am not Robert Gibbs. What an idiot.

Actually Alex, I think the 2nd class leaders tends to skip a President and it started with Clinton, not Bush. – Lorica

20. Severian says:

Chicago made the cut to become one of the finalists along with Rio, Madrid, and Tokyo mid-year in 2008. Hmmm…who was president then? Seems to me it starts with a B…Bush! That’s it. We made it into the finals with Bush as pres, and lost with Obama as pres. Seems to me by the “logic” the left uses in blaming Bush, it’ really is Barry’s fault, after all, we didn’t have any problems making the finals with Bush in office! ;)

Sev, that was just a quirk of an obviously tilted capitalist system, and this vote goes to show just how anti-progressive all those damned capitalists running that show are.

Yeah, right.

And I find it intriguing that now we who are gloating about the failure of Duh-1 to dazzle the socks off of foreign jerks with his egocentric, narcissistic speech(es) are anti-American and America haters.

To which I answer, are we the ones who’ve been running around the world apologizing for our very existence?