Sister Swine Flu

Posted by: ST on October 9, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Rumors of my blogging demise have been greatly exaggerated :D

I’m not down for the count, but am down for the moment. Thought I was valiantly fighting the common cold this week, but decided to go to the doctor this morning because I was not getting any better, and after tests were run, I hear the big news:

“Your test was flu-positive.”

(Me) “Oh, ok – you mean the seasonal flu?”

“No – H1N1.”

*Stunned look.*

Fortunately, the PA I saw eased my fears on the hype surrounding the swine flu, so I’m calmer about it now than I was when she first hit me with the news.

I’m on three prescriptions, the main one being Tamiflu, one of the side effects of which is mood swings. Lucky for me my mother has the patience of a saint.

And speaking of, I’ve tried to keep family and friends far away from me this week, even going so far as locking my glass door when mom and dad came by and dropped off a few groceries I requested. I asked them to put them on the porch, and mom kept insisting on trying to come in and I (for once) won the battle. I hated doing that.

But I’m here at mom and dad’s now, as they both did not want me to battle this alone over the weekend. I did not have a choice in the matter. Dad had to drive me, as luck would have it my car wouldnt’ start this morning as I was headed out for my appt. Sigh …

My family, friends, and employer have been fantastic through all of this. Totally understanding, and totally not putting any pressure on me to do anything but get some rest and eat plenty of chicken soup (I’m so sick of soup right now – not even going there).

I have slept a vast majority of this week, and today was the first time I had stepped outside into the fresh air outside of taking out my “sick trash” yesterday. Too bad it had to be raining today :(

Mega-props to Anthony and Steve for taking care of my baby while I’ve been under the weather, especially doing so on such short notice. I miss blogging so much, but it takes a lot of energy for me to sit up and do anything for any length of time right now (primarily due to the meds and just flat out being zonked).

I also appreciate very much the well wishes and prayers that have been posted here at the blog and via email. They really do mean alot. I miss y’all and thank you so much for your patience. I hope to be back to normal in a few days, but in the meantime Steve and Anthony will hold down the fort. Even when I do return, it’ll be light because I’ve got a lot of things personally to catch up on as well as a lot of things to catch up on at the 8-5. I will have to learn to pace myself.

Oh, and on Barack Obama winning the Nobel? I’m trying not to think about it. I’m already sick enough.

Later, y’all.

27 Responses to “Sister Swine Flu”

Comments

1. Helen says:

If you weren’t taking all that medication I’d suggest hot whisky, lemon and honey. But maybe you’d better leave the whisky out. Hey get better soon. Don’t worry about swind flu – it is not Spanish influenza. It has carried off far fewer people than ordinary flu does in a cold winter. #:-s

2. My doc tells me Relenza and not Tamiflu is the med to use.

Good piece on Obama’s Nobel prize. Check out my thoughts on the credibility of the NPP Committee at LINK

3. Severian says:

Wow, the dreaded piggy flu! Stay safe and rest and get well soon! Hope you recover well and quickly.

4. steveegg says:

Get well soon, ST. We’ll try to keep things humming for you.

5. Anthony says:

Rest well, ST. And don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll love the blog remodeling project Steve and I have in mind. >:)

6. NC Cop says:

Have some chicken soup, then wrap a hot towel around your head, grab a nap.

Ok, what movie is that from? Anyone? Anyone?

Well there is 1 bright side to all of this!! At least now you don’t have to get the vacine. Get well soon Dear, please know you are in my thoughts and prayers doublely now.

Ohhh and did you all hear, the Barry won the Nobel Peace Prize!!! Oiy!! I think I heard that joke before. LOL :D in his speech today he was talking about being in good company, like Yasser Arafat?? /shakes head. – Lorica

8. steveegg says:

I’m bad with movies, NC Cop. It does sound like good advice, even if it is from Hollywood.

Anthony, that was supposed to be a secret :o)

9. Hi … I’m a friend of @AsianBadger and @SteveEgg …

I had a swine flu scare in 1981. I was pregnant. There was no cure. He’ll be 28 tomorrow.

10. Great White Rat says:

Ouch….let me echo the rest of the regulars: concentration on staying rested and keeping on the medication. We all miss you, but your health is the most important thing. Get well soon!

(Psst…Steve…the H1N1 isn’t electronically transmitted is it?) >:)

11. Take care. Watch some bad movies.

12. Ron Russell says:

You’ll be back in the game by Monday! Get well soon. Barry said he would give the mill to charity—I hope so the country needs it. Yep thats us now–a charity case.

13. Peter says:

Instead of just lurking I’m sending a couple of prayers up for a speedy recovery.[-o<

14. Jimi says:

Sister,

Just get well and don’t sweat the small 5hit here okay? Your family needs you well, that is the main thing. You are a true patriot and a needed voice and we look forward to your return. God Bless.

Thx
    Jimi

15. PeterM says:

Get well soon. You have followers from the Philippines — ok, at least one. :d/

16. Rovin says:

Get well soon Sis…..

And, this weekend will be perfect for laying back and resting while the rest of the world ponders our presidents newest “narcissistic tool of nobelity”. Barring the moon retaliating from our recent assualt, or Israel dropping “a surprise” on Iran, I doubt there will be much news to write about.

I do suggest (if the laptops available) that you read a great essay written by Doc Zero, a writer for Hot Air in the Greenroom, called “The Peace of the Grave” on Obama’s latest award.

Rov

17. nina says:

Get well soon!

18. Kate says:

Rest Well Sister T…..a little side note from a friend in the nursing staff of a hospital. They were in a quandary about calling the new flu strain the “Mexican” flu, then the “swine” flu so it was suggest that they just call it by it’s strain “H1N1″. One nurse was reading a chart out loud and asked, “Hey what is this HiNi flu?”

A little tush humor from the folks in white coats.

19. Tango says:

….joining the gaggle of well wishers here and keepin’
    y’all in the nightly knee mail. b-)

20. Chris in NC says:

Get well soon ST! We’re praying for ya!

21. steveegg says:

GWR, I don’t believe so. It’s also not as deadly as the first cases in Mexico were (Carrie and her son are proof of that).

22. TexasFred says:

If you had Bird Flu you could get a TWEETMENT…

With Swine Flu they give you an OINKMENT!

Get better soon… My daughter was in ICU for 6 weeks with the flu, they had to take her baby 12 weeks early…

The daughter is home now and getting her strength back, the baby should be home next week, BOTH are great, and we are send OUR prayers YOUR way!

23. Jeanne C says:

ST get well soon and the Lord bless you.

24. saveliberty says:

Get well soon!

25. Yax K'uk' Mo' says:

Blah. Hope you’re feeling better soon, and remember, you’re parents are always right (usually) :) The angst you had about not exposing them to the flu was probably nothing compared to their worry about you, I’m sure…besides, I find I always recover faster when I can interact with people throughout the day, rather than the boring cycle of sleep, watch TV, sleep, watch TV, sleep, etc.

26. Chick says:

Just Learned, ST. Sending you happy, healthy thoughts. :d Get healthy for the winter-month battles.

Feel better.:)

27. Elektra says:

Hoping you feel much better real soon, Sister.
    [-o< @};-