President Obama’s Afghanistan “surge”

Posted by: ST on December 1, 2009 at 7:27 pm

As expected, the press has gotten advanced excerpts from President’ Obama’s upcoming speech on his plan for Afghanistan, which he will officially announce tonight in a televised address from West Point at 8 ET. CNN has snips from the speech, and the Guardian is liveblogging the unveiling of the plan and the media reports surrounding it.

His decision, which was widely reported last week, is being met with mixed reactions from both Republicans and Democrats. The criticisms from Republicans (with Senator McCain being a leading voice) are in reference to both the closely related timetable and “off-ramps” issues, and the criticisms from Democrats are, well, what you would typically expect from the rabid anti-war wing of the Democrat party.

I’m not sure if I’ll be watching it (will probably catch the video and transcript of it later tonight), but for those of you who want to but who can’t get to a TV, you can always watch via C-SPAN.org.

7 Responses to “President Obama’s Afghanistan “surge””

Comments

Those West Point Cadets don’t look all that fired up. I guess they can order them to be present, but they can’t order them to be happy.

I find it odd that here is a man who just said that we must move forward unwaivering, and yet just last month it seemed to me that he was ready to abandon Afghanistan. – Lorica

2. Kate says:

My nephew is one of those Cadets….I pray that this joke of a POTUS will not be using them as just another photo op….oh, look how presidential I am and truly the Commander in Chief.

Sorry I am skeptical about all the nice noises he made….about the surge….he flips and flops.

If this is so important for the whole world….why dodge our responsibility? We are there and we have the means to garner support to root out the Al Queda and Taliban forces that seek to make Afghans the servants of a fascist state and how about securing our borders, sir?

3. Tom TB says:

What could POTUS possibly know now, that he didn’t know last Summer?

At best, he was using the forum (West Point) to announce a policy decision that should’ve been made at least 2 months ago.

At worst, he was using the opportunity to soften up a semi-brainless class (college students) so that when he orders them to attack fellow Americans they will be more willing to do so because, ya know, our glorious leader told us to.

Yes, I know, the military academies are supposed to be free from all that crap, but have you been paying attention to the “news” coming out of them in the last 2 decades?

Did you all see this video of Chris Matthews calling West Point the “enemy camp”??? That SoB should be floated out into the North Atlantic on a raft and told to paddle to Europe. – Lorica

To any leftist, the United States military is “the enemy camp”. That puts this CIC as a complete opponent of them.

Problem for him is, he can’t because that’s one of the few parts of the Constitution he’s read and understands.