Census oddities

Posted by: ST on March 30, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I posted this on Twitter last night and meant to post it here but it slipped my mind.

Why does one side of the Census postcard say it’s “required by law” to fill out but on the other side it says “you’ve been sent a *request* to fill it out”? No wonder the Census return rate is down at this point from the 2000 Census return rate. That and the fact that more and more people in this country are simply fed up with the federal government, a government that laughably suggests via their many Census ads that filling out the Census gives ordinary Americans the power to bring their “fair share” of federal tax dollars to their respective communities. Of course, they don’t mention that the more federal tax dollars poured into the community the more than community is answerable to Washington, DC. This is supposed to be “empowering”? No thanks.

And don’t you love the “non-invasive” Census questions, oh, like asking you for your name, birthdate, and phone number? :-?

17 Responses to “Census oddities”

Comments

1. Rose says:

Yet, you have to tell them who is residing in your home as of April 5, 2010, but it due by April 1, 2010. How do you know who might or might not be residing in your home four days later? How do I know someone might not leave or heaven forbid pass away?

2. ZippyTheWerewolf says:

One talk radio commentator (it might have been Hannity) suggested that everyone check ‘other’ and write in ‘American’.

I wonder how many tax dollars it costs to send out those reminder postcards that came 3 days after the ‘non-census’ forms were sent.

3. jeff says:

Regarding the question of race, I’m torn between Daytona 500 and Human.

-Jeff

4. loiseller says:

“And don’t you love the “non-invasive” Census questions, oh, like asking you for your name, birthdate, and phone number?

They got our names…. The rest of the 11(?) questions were answered “NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS”.

When a ‘count’ starts morphing into something the liberals are always trying to ram down on us (Ethnicity, et al) it’s time to say enough.

Just sayin’.

5. Jennifer says:

Maybe everyone is afraid of committing perjury. You do have to tell them how many people live in your house on 4/1/2010. Don’t know about you, but I don’t have a crystal ball :d

6. You know, in reality, we here in “red” states should make a point to fill out every single census, that way our states get more representatives, and blue states lose them even more than was projected :d

If the government wants to know how many people live in my house, that’s fine, once every ten years, just like the Constitution dictates, for apportionment purposes.

But when they start asking what race everyone is, how many bathrooms are in the house (take a hint, government – the number of bathrooms is insignificant, but the number of bedrooms does count. Check the building codes!), or if grandma had corns, that’s none of their business, none of the census bureau’s business, and none of the IRS’ business. Not even if it’s mandated by executive order, because the Constitution only mandates counting people.

Taxes too high? Get rid of the thieves that vote for more and more government intrusion into your private lives!

8. ClassicFilm says:

In the spirit of Jeff’s responses for the census race category, I’m toying with Amazing or Three-Legged.

9. Tom TB says:

We had already mailed the form, which was identical to the one mailed out ten years ago. No, I haven’t discovered that in the interim discovered that my ancestry has changed, and my command of the lovely Spanish language is likely the same as before. I like the tough cop-nice cop writing though; one side “required by law”, other side “please”.

10. William wrote:

You know, in reality, we here in “red” states should make a point to fill out every single census, that way our states get more representatives, and blue states lose them even more than was projected :D

Great idea! ;)

11. camojack says:

Since it asks some questions about things as of April, 2010…I’m not planning to mail it in until April, 2010. Anyway, I’ve already filled it out as much as I’m going to; number of residents at my address and race: American.

I suppose they’ll be sending a representative to “La Casa de Camo”, my rambling estate…

12. I’m surprised they didn’t ask for your party affiliation, but then again, they don’t really need to do that, plus they know they’d really catch hell if they did.

As for the phone numbers, just because they call doesn’t mean I have to answer, nor does it mean they might necessarily like to hear what I have to say.

13. Anna says:

I work for GRITtv an alternative news outlet in New York City. This past week we’ve been discussing the census reports both by their own merit and in the context of Haiti. Check out our interview!

LINK

14. Tango says:

Doesn’t appear like the census is going well. I got a “recruiting” card in the mail a couple of days ago wanting me to join the ranks of paid census workers.

Riiiiiiight! b-)

15. Craig says:

So my question is this…

If they know where you are well enough to send you the form, what’s the point of counting people who they already know about?

The only ones who really mater for census counting are the ones for whom they DON’T have a way to mail a form.

I got the Pre-form that said expect one. But I still haven’t got an actual form yet.

Very efficient system… It seems to have become little more than a govt subsidy program to generate extra work for the ailing postal system.

16. Dr.D says:

I have yet to figure out why they need a name in order to COUNT. I realize that they are numerically challenged, but just a number should be quite enough, I think.

17. Samantha says:

And why doesn’t everyone just say there are a few extra people in their household, so their area gets more representatives??

They got our names, ages, and address – that’s all they need.