Caption This: “Rodent scurries by Obama” edition

Posted by: ST on May 21, 2010 at 9:51 am

This is just priceless (via Memeorandum):

Rodent scurries by Obama

A small rodent runs in front of President Barack Obama as he delivers remarks on Wall Street and Financial reform, Thursday, May 20, 2010, in the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington.« Read less
(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

Here’s the story, via AP:

WASHINGTON – In his battle with the titans of Wall Street, President Barack Obama almost got upstaged by a rat.

But he didn’t even seem to notice. Assuming that’s what it was, scurrying in front of his podium Thursday in a sun-drenched Rose Garden.

Obama had just begun an afternoon statement to reporters lauding the end of a Senate filibuster on his financial overhaul plan when some kind of rodent — opinions differ on which — dashed out of the bushes to his right, just outside the Oval Office.

It’s not clear if the president could even see the streaker, but he didn’t show any reaction. And he concluded his statement minutes later, returning to his office without answering a few shouted questions on other topics.

Once he was safely inside the Oval Office, a fierce debate erupted among the photographers and reporters who’d witnessed the dash. Was it a rat or a mouse? Or maybe a mole, or a vole, or some other kind of related creature.

[…]

Moreover, rodents of all kinds are pretty common in Washington. From time to time, city officials issue alarms about surges in the rat population when residents put out extra-big summer piles of garbage.

Washington is, after all built, along a river, on what used to be a malarial swamp.

Well it’s still a swamp, and it’s still infested with all kinds of rats, especially the kind that look like humans who, strangely enough, have been put into positions of “leadership.” And they don’t all come from our country, either.

Cross-posted to Right Wing News.

54 Responses to “Caption This: “Rodent scurries by Obama” edition”

Comments

1. NC Cop says:

“What was that saying? What is it rats abandon? Oh, that’s right, a SINKING SHIP!”

2. Tom TB says:

“Another Security Lapse at the White House; Investigation to Follow…”

3. proof says:

The First Lady’s nutritional campaign coincided with President Obama’s state of the economy speech:
    “Rat. The other white meat!”

4. daveinboca says:

I thought it was President Calderon making a cameo appearance or else one of the White House Press Choir having to run for the loo after bad food in the White House Mess. Seriously, Wash. DC does have the most humongous rats of the rodent variety I’ve ever seen inside the USA [I saw a couple of larger ones in a temple in India!].

Of the human variety, just look at the Demo-rat Party and their DNC enablers!

5. Jeff says:

Ick. Disgusting vermin.

The rat’s pretty cute, though.

6. SpeakEasy says:

You’ve got it all wrong; That was an aide. He forgot to take the servant’s entrance.

7. Eric Eikenberry says:

“Today, President Obama introduced the newest member of his White House team; Scurvy the Rat. ‘Scurvy’s had a hard life. He came to this country in search of a better living conditions, and thanks to my omnipotent blessings, and a ride in President Calderon’s luggage, has finally found it.’ Press Secretary Gibbs later announced that Scurvy was expected to vote Democrat in the 2010 Midterms, and had already applied for Welfare and free insurance.”

8. I’m literally LOL, Eric! =))

9. Susan says:

Where there is one rat, there is an infestation.

10. IR Rod says:

Rats begin to abandon the sinking USSocialist OBAMA

11. Ken says:

Good one Jeff. :d

12. FeFe says:

“Another gubmnt cheese announcement! Weeeee”

13. GerryZ says:

“Birds of a feather.”

14. “Obama’s favorite ass gerbil makes a run for it.”

15. forrest says:

Was that the Socialism Czar scurrying across the floor?

16. FenelonSpoke says:

Rat king rushes off to make his appearance as next speaker in “World Leaders Bash America” evening.

17. Great White Rat says:

Ahem….we are not amused, people. ;)

18. rudytbone says:

Excuse me. Omen coming through.

19. Zippy says:

<<laughing and snortling at everyone’s comments .. too funny!

I can’t think of a more appropriate commentary than to have a rat run in front of itchy rat himself. My apologies to the the rat.

20. Zippy says:

<<laughing and snortling here.. too funny.

I can't think of a more appropriate commentary than to have a rat run in front of itchy rat himself. My apologies to the the rat.

21. Chris says:

That was the special chef brought in to prepare the state dinner.

22. DreamLiner says:

Even Rats aren’t afraid of the Obama Administration!

23. Eric Eikenberry says:

Thank you, Sister. I got a BS in “Snark” in college, and with the current administration in place, have found a full-time use for my talents.

I wish I had a blog as nice as yours where I could “stretchh my legs” and really rev up the snark-o-meter!

Come on, guys. Geithner just forgot his human disguise.

25. Eric Eikenberry says:

My follow-up was this:

“When told later about the rat, President Obama said ‘Damn it, I was saving that for Palin’s Christmas gift!'”

or

“Press Secretary Gibbs announced today that a rat was briefly spied during a White House announcement. To which the press corp replied, in unison though certainly not pre-planned, ‘Yes, we know. He’s been here since Jan 20, 2009.'”

26. Eric Eikenberry says:

But perhaps best of all:

“Today, President Barack Obama announced the Democrats’ 2010 Mid-term Congressional Election slogan; ‘Run, ‘Rats, Run!’. “We, and by we I actually mean I, feel that this slogan will serve as a rallying cry for Democrats everywhere, uniting all of us here and in Mexico in our quest to control Congress until we, and again I mean I, have run this once-great country into the ground like an Air America broadcast.

Off camera, Mexican President Calderon could be heard expressing a bit of confusion, saying “I don’t see what’s the big deal. We see rats all the time at my press conferences.”

27. Eric Eikenberry says:

“Today the White House announced the inclusion of rat meat on public school menus as a means of helping to close the Federal Deficit. “It’s lean, it’s mean, just like Michelle!” the President quipped offhandedly.

Later, aides were spotted preparing the sofa in the Oval Office with blankets and a pillow.”

28. Chris says:

The rat was a plant…just watch, now Obama is going to enlist Kathleen Sebelius to create a panic over the looming Bubonic Plague that will surely dessimate the global population without government intervention.

Not only that, but it was a species native to the equator and it’s presence in DC is another sign of the ravages and dangers of global warming.

It’s a two-fer

29. Great White Rat says:

Hmmph…well, as far as I’m concerned, you’re all just a bunch of raaaaacists species-ists. :-w

Exceptin’ for Zippy, who at least had the good grace to apologize to the rat….

30. Bryn says:

It’s not a rat, it’s too small, the wrong color, and doesn’t have enough tail. Mole, vole or shrew, it’s too large to be a mouse. Mole seems like a good bet.

31. SteveP says:

“Hi cousin Barry. I’m late, I’m late, for a very important date.”

32. Paul in N.AL says:

Here the president (left) talks about financial reforms, while the first lady (right) is seen chasing the children (out of frame).

33. democratsarefascists says:

“EVERY RAT FOR HIMSELF! OUTTA MY WAY!”

34. msspurlock says:

“Ay, caramba! No tengo green card! Vamamos!”

35. Even the rats are running away from Michelle’s all natural garden.

36. eaglewingz08 says:

Obama’s releases of national security secrets to US enemies puts out of work the last paid mole in the WH.

37. T-Dog says:

It is true……..ghetto is lot a location……people take their ghetto with them

38. Doug says:

It was Gibbs without his glasses.

39. MarkJ says:

“Leave the ‘prompter. Take the vole-olli.”

40. K in NC says:

“gotta get my papers, gotta get my papers, where’d i leave my papers . . . . “

41. Jake G says:

And that mi amigos, was Speedy Gonzales “the fastest mouse in all Mexico”. Ariba Riba!!

42. POWinCA says:

It was a Demon Rat.

43. Kate in MI says:

it’s Hilary Rodent Clinton!;)

44. FreedomLover says:

“[The rodent] dashed out of the bushes to his right, just outside the Oval Office.

“As photographers snapped away, the critter trundled straight past the gray podium with the presidential seal and made a bee-line for another set of bushes to Obama’s left.’

I think it depends on your point-of-view. From where I sit, it ran from the left and to the right. Perhaps this is symbolic of the way the American people are running these days. But the AP is so Obama-centtic that, naturally, they painted the word picture from HIS point of view.

45. Jo says:

LOL! Looked like Rohm Emanuel to me.

46. Janelle says:

Actually, we need a mole in the White House.

47. CZ says:

DEMOC

RAT!

48. FrankNitti says:

Tom TB says:
    May 21, 2010 at 10:11 am

“Another Security Lapse at the White House; Investigation to Follow…”

then by a panel of experts……got to save or create where we can.

49. FrankNitti says:

#
    NC Cop says:
    May 21, 2010 at 9:55 am

Too funny

50. Sarah says:

Oh, no reason to panic or worry, people – that’s just an SEIU leader on his way to the after-speech buffet.

51. Dana says:

From the President’s point of view, the rat was moving determinedly to his left; for the rest of us, we know this smart rat was heading toward the right.

52. SteveB says:

I think that was one of his new “Czars” reporting for duty.