You get what you ask for, Minnesota liberals

Posted by: ST on August 6, 2010 at 11:38 am

Via The Hill:

Al FrankenSenate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) scolded Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) on the Senate floor Thursday for allegedly mocking him while he delivered a solemn speech on Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan.

[…]

Franken, who was presiding over the chamber from the dais, gesticulated and made faces while McConnell explained his opposition to Kagan, according to witnesses.

[…]

McConnell grew increasingly angry as Franken made fun of him before a crowded public gallery and Senate aides lining the chamber walls. Senate aides said they were shocked that Franken would flout the decorum of the chamber during such a solemn occasion.

After McConnell finished his remarks, he walked up to the dais and rebuked him.

“This is not ‘Saturday Night Live,’ Al,” McConnell said, making reference to Franken’s career as a writer and actor on NBC’s long-running comedy show, according to a witness who overheard the exchange.

After the vote, Franken walked to McConnell’s office to apologize but couldn’t find him. He has sent a personal note, instead.

“The Leader thought I was disrespectful while he was giving his speech on General Kagan,” Franken said in a statement to The Hill. “He is entitled to give his speech with the presiding officer just listening respectfully. I went directly to his office after I was done presiding to apologize in person. He wasn’t there, so I’ve sent him a handwritten note.”

Allah Pundit notes:

At least he didn’t cut him off like he did Lieberman, but give him time: If he’s already sufficiently far gone to shock Senate aides with how much of an A-hole he can be, I’m sure there’s more to come in the months ahead.

Hopefully nothing like this, though. Or this.

I’m so glad the “adults” are in charge now. Aren’t you? 8-|

Cross-posted to Right Wing News.

9 Responses to “You get what you ask for, Minnesota liberals”

Comments

Franken probably had a writer do the apology note. I’m not real sure he himself can write or, if he can, knows how to spell that well.

Idiot. And slug. The people of Minnesota may deserve him, but the rest of the United States doesn’t. Except maybe CA.

2. Disgusted says:

“Senate aides said they were shocked that Franken would flout the decorum of the chamber during such a solemn occasion.”

Surprised that a clown can’t keep from performing? My guess is that Franken knows people love his antics and mistakenly believes that we all love them anywhere, anytime. Like many post-Americans he feels there is no dignity due to American insitutions and behaves as he wants. Kudos to the Senator for calling him on it directly and publicly. How sad it is that Senate aides have to watch our generation abuse and mock the institutions that they are there to uphold.

3. ShiftyJ says:

The Senate aids were probably lining the wall to look at one SNL’s least funny writers.

4. Zippy says:

What a profound idiot and typical of his genre of arrogance and entitlement mentality.

5. Newk2 says:

As a Minnesotan I would profess that he was not elected but rather stole the Senate seat with the help of Acorn and their cadre of convicted felons.

6. mike191 says:

The practice and meaning of decorum is lost on Franken.This is what the Democractic party has evolved into,pernicious fools who have disdain for everone except themselves.

7. Jo says:

Franken is one of the biggest jokes in the Dem-tard’s wanna be comedian lineup. I hope the Minnesotan’s are just thrilled with him. I love to listen to Garrison Keillor’s Prarie Home Companion Tales of Lake Woebegone but again, I can’t understand why Garrison, a Minnesota native, and most of his audience are usually flaming liberals and this ‘Honorable’ Nutjob, Franken has been a frequent past guest on his show. Either I or they are missing something. What did Shakespeare say? “All the world is queer except for me and thee and sometimes I suspect thee.”

8. CCDave says:

Franken will always be the bumbling baggage handler that made faces at the guerrilla in Trading Places.