Dear Mr. President: I appreciate your concerns for troop welfare, but …

Posted by: ST on September 9, 2010 at 10:35 am

In an interview this morning that aired on ABC’s Good Morning America, President Obama weighed in on the controversy surrounding the Florida church that plans to burn the Koran on 9/11:

WASHINGTON (AP) – President Barack Obama is exhorting a Florida minister to “listen to those better angels” and call off his plan to engage in a Quran-burning protest this weekend.

Obama told ABC’s “Good Morning America” in an interview aired Thursday that he hopes the Rev. Terry Jones of Florida listens to the pleas of people who have asked him to call off the plan. The president called it a “stunt.”

“If he’s listening, I hope he understands that what he’s proposing to do is completely contrary to our values as Americans,” Obama said. “That this country has been built on the notion of freedom and religious tolerance.”

“And as a very practical matter, I just want him to understand that this stunt that he is talking about pulling could greatly endanger our young men and women who are in uniform,” the president added.

Said Obama: “Look, this is a recruitment bonanza for Al Qaida. You could have serious violence in places like Pakistan and Afghanistan.” The president also said Jones’ plan, if carried out, could serve as an incentive for terrorist-minded individuals “to blow themselves up” to kill others.

“I hope he listens to those better angels and understands that this is a destructive act that he’s engaging in,” the president said of Jones.

Although an elemental part of me understands the base desire to, via the burning of Korans, strike back at radical Islam and all the terror it has brought both to our shores and the international community for decades, the Christian part of me says there’s a better way for this Christian pastor and his church to both strike back at Islam and commemorate 9-11: Celebrate the lives of the victims, mourn their passing and, most importantly, preach the word of God.  There is NO better way to ultimately counter and defeat radical Islam than by preaching God’s word.

So, in essence, I pretty much agree with BO’s call to the pastor to not carry through with his Koran burning.   BO’s reasons, of course, have little to do with appealing with the pastor on a Christian level but instead by trying to get him to understand that something like this – which is needless coming from any Bible-believing church – could put our men and women in uniform in even more danger. Sure, Pastor Jones has the right to do it, but as I’ve said before, having the “right” to say/do something doesn’t always make it right to say/do.  I have “the right” to take an evening walk  in a bad neighborhood in the middle of the night alone, but why would I do that?  I would be unnecessarily putting myself at risk.   I can easily accomplish my relaxation goal by taking a walk in a much safer neighborhood with friends.

But I’m trying to figure out exactly where the President’s concern for the welfare of our troops was when he was busy last year making available for public (read: enemy) viewing papers on the aggressive interrogation   techniques the CIA was using to obtain information from the enemy, and other classified documents related to Bush-era counterterrorism measures that should have remained secret.   While I’m glad to see the President is worried that the actions of the pastor could harm the mission, and also further endanger our men and women in uniform already in harm’s way overseas, I sure would have liked to have seen more of this concern last year when he was eagerly showing how “transparent” his administration was going to be – with secret documents from previous administrations.   Not only that, but to be frank, if he’s going to argue this from purely a “rights” perspective” – as he did when he announced how it was “essential” to protect the rights of Muslim Islamists in the US and why we should “respect” their “right” to build the Ground Zero mosque, he should know that the pastor and his congregation have just as much right to burn Korans as the radical imam and his cult like followers have the right to tap dance on the footprint of the World Trade Center.

In both instances, again – having “the right” doesn’t make it “right.”  Something neither this President, nor Pastor Jones, clearly understands.

Oh – and BTW, don’t think the Christian bashers in the MSM aren’t milking this for all it’s worth.

9 Responses to “Dear Mr. President: I appreciate your concerns for troop welfare, but …”

Comments

First, I don’t believe this president has the qualifications to make any comment on what any portion of Christianity is or isn’t.

Second, if he is appealing to this yoyo to do the “Christian” thing because the yoyo is a “Christian,” he needs to appeal with Christian reasoning (i.e. – with Biblical reasons), not secular reasoning. Secular reasoning holds no more water for a Christian than Biblical reasoning holds for an atheist.

And lastly, why is the president inserting himself into this issue? All I can figure is that he sees it as (finally) one where he just can’t end up on the wrong side of it on down the road, and he will be seen by his muslim buddies as defending the faith, too. It’s a can’t lose situation for him.

2. PE says:

Does the President of Mexico know about this? What is his opinion? Call a joint session of Congress so he can speak there and provide his advice.

3. Joseph Brown says:

Let me see if I have this straight. According to the man-child in the WH, it’s ok for the Muslims to thumb their noses at us in the name of religious freedom, but it’s not OK for a church, no matter how small, to burn the Koran? I mean, how 2 faced is Obama. I also concur with Carlos’ post.

4. Marshall Art says:

I have serious doubts regarding Obama’s concerns for anyone other than himself.

5. Sefton says:

What Marshall Art said.
    Anytime Obama can take the focus off his failures and duties as CIC, he’ll take that redirection every time.
    This is just another localized “they’re acting stupidly” slight-of-hand both the media and this Pretender In Chief are milking to shift the public focus again. In fact, one could argue that if the media and man-child hadn’t pointed the spotlight at this lone pastor in Florida, the threat they warn about from radicals upon our troops or anyone else wouldn’t have near the impact they claim.

6. Anonymous says:

So let me get this straight.

A pastor in Florida burning copies of the Qur’an puts American soldiers abroad in danger. Really?

And if the pastor does not burn the Qur’an, then Islamic fundamentalists will magically stop attacking Americans at home and abroad and will forever make peace with us and ours?

REALLY? What planet are you living on?

Do you really think that if we “play nice” with those who believe that they have a G-d given duty to destroy us, they will play nice with us in return?

As far as I am concerned, there is only one thing that stands a chance of ending Islamic terror. And that is America’s full and unconditional appeasement to Sharia law.

Unless that is your goal, stop making ridiculous arguments abou the safety and welfare of American sodliers. Terrorists kill them – and attack civilians at home – not because we burn their holy book, but because the United States of America stands for freedom; because our values are irreconcilable with theirs.

Of course, Talibs can invent the excuse – the propoganda tool – that young Muslims should attack America b/c America burns the Qur’an. But the truth is, these extremists have been attacking us long before we ever did anything to them.

As far as I am concerned, if the Koran burning incident set to take place this Saturday did not exist, it would have to be invented. And Taliban terrorists, though their deeds may be barbaric, are pretty darn good at inventing propoganda, just as they are pretty darn good at plotting against the United States of America and murdering those who serve her.

In one article I read in the New York Times, a columnist wrote that Osama bin Laden would love to say that in America, you can build a church or a synagogue – but not a mosque. Therefore, by protesting the GZM, we are playing right into the hands of terrorists.

REALLY? REALLY?

By that logic, building the Ground Zero mosque is an act of necessary appeasement – just as giving the Rhineland & Sudetenland to Adolf Hitler was an act of (reprehensible) appeasement.

Can you imagine what our country would become if politicians prefaced their every word – and every deed – with a concern for what Osama bin Laden would think? That columnist urges all Americans to lose sleep thinking how best to appease to our enemies.

As I said above, the only thing that may end Islamic terror is a full and unconditional appeasement. I emphasize the word “may.”

After all, were the Rhineland & Sudetenland enough for Hitler? Apparently not, since he invaded Poland on Sept. 1, 1939.

So, too, appeasement alone may not be enough for Islamic fundamentalists. Give a dictator an inch, and he will take a yard. That is exactly what Hitler did, and – as Harry Truman once said – “There is nothing new in the world expect the history you do not know.”

Indeed, the memory of most Americans is short. Perhaps spending less time “texting” and more time reading will refresh it. Perhaps.

And, besides, I wonder how many of those opposed to Koran burning have actually read the book that urges its followers to ‘slay the pagans [infidels] where ye find them,’ to cut off their heads and fingertips, etc, etc, etc.

There is an argument – an argument that I have not yet seen, but an argument nonetheless – that destroying the Qur’an alienates moderate Muslims at home.

That argument has merit, but truly moderate Muslims will not succumb to jihadist propaganda; truly moderate Muslims will not turn against their country (as Major Hassan did) simply b/c a few Korans are burned. And if these Muslims do turn against their country, well, then… they weren’t so moderate in the first place … now, were they?

But this last argument is certainly one worth considering: after all, just because most terrorists are Muslims, does NOT mean that most Muslims are terrorists.

And this last point is one to be pondered … and pondered … and pondered.

7. ShiftyJ says:

Shouldn’t we be angrier with the media for bring this story to the attention of terrorists?

8. Anonymous writes:

So let me get this straight.

No. You don’t have it “straight.”

REALLY? What planet are you living on?

Did you enjoy crafting that gigantic strawman to argue against something that neither I, nor anyone else commenting in this thread, have even once asserted? My argument is NOT that not buring Korans is going to make Islamofasicsts “make nice” – but that it’s not necessary to do in order to combat radical Islam, and that it unnecessarily puts our troops in MORE danger than they already are.

I have an archive FULL of posts here on the global war on terror, Islamofascism, etc. where I discuss at length how we don’t need to “play nice” with rad Islam, how I believe Islam itself is not a “peaceful” religion, and how the Koran promotes violence against women and non-believers, etc. I really don’t need a lecture from you or anyone else w/ regards to my stance on the issue, which is in line with the position of most conservatives. I stand second to no one when it comes to condemnation of Islam and the need to never give up until it is defeated. I invite you to read over some of the aguments I’ve made in the past – and re-read THIS post, as well – before making baseless assumptions about my position on Islamofascism in the future.

Given the right set of circumstances, Anon, like, say, muslims become a solid majority in the United States (which at present rates is scheduled to occur around 2050), and the more “radical” elements suddenly find themselves able to rewrite laws so that sharia law is mandatory, and then it becomes the duty of all citizens to expose infidels, I find it difficult to believe, as you state, “…but truly moderate Muslims will not succumb to jihadist propaganda…” That just isn’t a realistic view of the behavior of mankind.

Straw man, indeed! There is no compromise with a religion that does not tolerate dissent or opposition, and Islam not only does not tolerate dissention or opposition, it directs adherants to violently rid the world of those dissenters and opponents. Remember, earlier verses of the Quran are over-ridden by the later ones.