Posted by: ST on September 12, 2010 at 7:54 am

Update – 6:48 PM: Wasn’t a great day for the Panthers on multiple fronts. We lost to the Giants 31-18, our offense is still struggling, and QB Matt Moore was taken to the hospital after a hit late in the game. Hope he’ll be ok.

_________________________

Got a full day ahead of me as I’m headed out shortly for a Girls Day out with Mama Toldjah and the Toldjah Sisters. :) Mom’s bday was midweek last week and we are getting together today to celebrate it.

Panthers logoNot sure when I”ll be back today, so wanted to go ahead and put up this thread for y’all to be able to post your thoughts on anything that has happened this weekend in the news and/or your thoughts on the first Sunday of regular season football this season. The Panthers are away today playing on the Giant’s home turf (1 PM ET, Fox). We didn’t have a great pre-season but I’m hoping for a good start to the regular season. Of course, we blew out the Giants last December 41-9, so they no doubt will be looking for a little payback.

What games will you have your eye on today?

I’ll check back in when I can. :)

8 Responses to “Sunday Football Open Thread (UPDATE: PANTHERS LOSE 31-18 – MOORE TAKEN TO HOSPITAL)”

Comments

1. Phineas says:

My beloved 49ers face the Seahawks today in their season opener, and I have high hopes for the game and the season. (Fingers crossed it’s not irrational exuberance. :"> ) We’re clearly on the mend as a team after years of drift: our first good coach in a long time (Count me as a big Coach Singletary fan), some excellent draft picks, and returning stars like linebacker Patrick Willis. Meanwhile, the Seahawks are on the downward slope, with a lot of personnel weaknesses. And, while Coach Pete Carroll cheated his way to success at U$C*, he has only a mediocre record at the NFL level.

*(I can’t help it; I went to UCLA. Cross-town rivals and all that.)

In fact, I think we have a good shot at winning our division, the admittedly weak NFC West: along with the Seahawks, we face the Rams, who will be lucky to get to 4-12 this season. Our strongest competition will be the Cardinals, but they’ve faced some key personnel losses in the off-season, with Warner retiring, Boldin going to the Ravens (that surprised me), and others. Larry Fitzgerald can’t do it all. And we swept them last year, when they were stronger and we were weaker.

Nothing’s guaranteed in the NFL, but on today’s (real) Opening Day, things are looking bright. b-)

2. Tango says:

**** GO PANTERS! **** :d

Phineas, Pete Carroll is a slacker compared to the present UCLA coach, New Weasel. I’m not against UCLA per se, but I’m glad his forecast of “another top team in town” has made him out to be as good a prognosticator as he is coach. UCLA would do good to get rid of that moral abomination ASAP.

As far as the pros go, I’d like to see Pitt win today only because one of my favorite college QBs started today; other than that, who cares?

4. Phineas says:

Carlos, I’m not a Neuheisel fan. In fact, when I heard he had been hired, friends and I started speculating about when the NCAA investigation for betting on games would begin.

Argh.

EDIT (14:44 PST): Just checked the Niners-Seahawks score at NFL.com. I am not happy. :(

Being a Duck fan, I have a special place for New Weasel in my heart. His betting is the least of my objections to the sleazy star-wannabee.

But at least he’s not in Seattle anymore, and as much as I intensely dislike the Huskies or to admit they ever did anything right, getting rid of him was definitely a step up.

And I understand you’ve a couple of decent PAC-10 teams down there. I wish them the best except for the weekends they play my Ducks.

6. Phineas says:

I have to stop checking the scores online. We just stink today. :((

7. Tango says:

….an awful lot of preseason hype sure went down the crapper today, didn’t it? Aaaaaaargh! :((