“Slap me now” story of the day: Raising your kids to be “genderless”

Posted by: ST on May 24, 2011 at 7:36 pm

You know, I was getting to the point where I really thought that I had pretty much seen and heard it all. But, alas, I was wrong:

“So it’s a boy, right?” a neighbour calls out as Kathy Witterick walks by, her four month old baby, Storm, strapped to her chest in a carrier.

Each week the woman asks the same question about the baby with the squishy cheeks and feathery blond hair.

Witterick smiles, opens her arms wide, comments on the sunny spring day, and keeps walking.

She’s used to it. The neighbours know Witterick and her husband, David Stocker, are raising a genderless baby. But they don’t pretend to understand it.

While there’s nothing ambiguous about Storm’s genitalia, they aren’t telling anyone whether their third child is a boy or a girl.

The only people who know are Storm’s brothers, Jazz, 5, and Kio, 2, a close family friend and the two midwives who helped deliver the baby in a birthing pool at their Toronto home on New Year’s Day.

“When the baby comes out, even the people who love you the most and know you so intimately, the first question they ask is, ‘Is it a girl or a boy?’” says Witterick, bouncing Storm, dressed in a red-fleece jumper, on her lap at the kitchen table.

“If you really want to get to know someone, you don’t ask what’s between their legs,” says Stocker.

Uh huh. Ideally, we inquire in so many words as to what’s between someone’s ears when we meet them, and in the case of these parents, apparently it’s not much.

Continuing:

When Storm was born, the couple sent an email to friends and family: “We’ve decided not to share Storm’s sex for now — a tribute to freedom and choice in place of limitation, a stand up to what the world could become in Storm’s lifetime (a more progressive place? …).”

Their announcement was met with stony silence. Then the deluge of criticisms began. Not just about Storm, but about how they were parenting their other two children.

The grandparents were supportive, but resented explaining the gender-free baby to friends and co-workers. They worried the children would be ridiculed. Friends said they were imposing their political and ideological values on a newborn. Most of all, people said they were setting their kids up for a life of bullying in a world that can be cruel to outsiders.

Witterick and Stocker believe they are giving their children the freedom to choose who they want to be, unconstrained by social norms about males and females. Some say their choice is alienating.

In an age where helicopter parents hover nervously over their kids micromanaging their lives, and tiger moms ferociously push their progeny to get into Harvard, Stocker, 39, and Witterick, 38, believe kids can make meaningful decisions for themselves from a very early age.

“What we noticed is that parents make so many choices for their children. It’s obnoxious,” says Stocker.

Can you imagine how confused these kids are going to be when they grow up?  The behavioral issues? How they’ll struggle to fit in and bond with other kids of the same sex because their parents think it’s “progressive” to withhold their genders from society? This is borderline child abuse. Disgusting.

10 Responses to ““Slap me now” story of the day: Raising your kids to be “genderless””

Comments

1. Drew the Infidel says:

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” Gen 1:27

‘Nuff said!

2. Kate says:

Amen to that Drew!

I guess we are trending more towards that Brave New World of everything gray and muddled.

Why can’t we celebrate our differences…like so much of the diversity drivel they spout.

3. Rich Horton says:

I’ve seen this movie. It’s Monty Python & The Meaning of Life. The new mother asks the doctors “Is it a boy or a girl?” and a doctor responds “I think its a little early to start imposing roles on it.”

Unreal, and very, very stupid.

4. Jim McDonald says:

I read this story, and got an image in my mind of Richard Widmark pushing a crippled old lady down a flight of stairs… and thinking I would find this kid NOT guilty…

5. George Robinson says:

My opening remark to any new offspring has always been,”That certainly is a baby.” The new parent usually takes it as a flattering comment, the truth is, being a male chauvinist pig, I can’t decipher what the kid is beneath all the froo froo. I do not ever re comment on aforesaid creatures until they reach the age of two and a half.

6. Tex says:

“Ideally, we inquire in so many words as to what’s between someone’s ears when we meet them, and in the case of these parents, apparently it’s not much”

Now there’s an understatement if ever there was one!
    They give new meaning to the word “morons”. And my condolences to their poor children for having the terrible luck of having these imbeciles as parents.

7. bob says:

What’s horrifying to me is all the people applauding this couple for their lunacy. That’s really depressing.

8. captaingrumpy says:

I feel sorry for the kids who are going to get each other Xmas pressies for years to come. Imagine ,they will not get dolls or footballs but probably BOOKS for the rest of their lives. Or clothes that are not real colors but a mixture , and I could go on but…..the poor kids, all because of stupid parents.
    We are all different but we must belong to some group in society or we will react.

9. your mama says:

I saw a bumper sticker a few years ago that said: Stupid people shouldn’t breed.
    Now i know that isn’t politically correct, but in this case, sadly it is true.

10. I have been inspired with all the debate about whether it is right or wrong for parents to raise their children in gender neutral ways. Why not let children decide what their true gender is? Who is to say there is anything wrong with that and why stop there? Since my children are of a mixed racial background, Asian and Caucasian, I have decided to let them choose which ethnicity they would like to identify with. Heck, they need not even have been born the one they may want to choose. They should have the freedom to become African American, Hispanic, or even Native American. Whose to say the should be oppressed by biology? Did not Michael Jackson become the first trans-ethnic person? Why can’t others aspire to achieve such a state of being? Or in feminist speak, why should my children be oppressed by the tyranny of racial assignment?

Sure, you can tell by just looking at them which ethnicity they are, but that does not mean they must be oppressed by some preconceived notion of race and ethnicity. Their brain may be African American, Hispanic, or even Native American even though their body looks to be white. Join me in exploring this final frontier of trans-racial exploration and boldly go where few if any have gone before.