Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) asks for campaign $ from Koch bros.

Posted by: ST on July 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

LOLOL – you can’t make this stuff up! (via Tab Hale)

Dear Senator Murray:

For many months now, your colleagues in the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee leadership have engaged in a series of disparagements and ad hominem attacks about us, apparently as part of a concerted political and fundraising strategy. Just recently, Senator Reid wrote in a DSCC fundraising letter that Republicans are trying to “force through their extreme agenda faster than you can say ‘Koch Brothers.’”

So you can imagine my chagrin when I got a letter from you on June 17 asking us to make five-figure contributions to the DSCC. You followed that up with a voicemail* indicating that, if we contributed heavily enough, we would garner an invitation to join you and other Democratic leaders at a retreat in Kiawah Island this September.

I’m hoping you can help me understand the intent of your request because it’s hard not to conclude that DSCC politics have become so cynical that you actually expect people whom you routinely denounce to give DSCC money.

It is troubling that private citizens taking part in the discourse have become the targets of White House and DSCC fundraising missives, and we would certainly encourage you to rethink that approach. Ultimately, I expect voters will see through that and will weigh the issues on the merits alone. But in the meantime, if you could provide me some insight on what exactly you are asking of us and why, I would be most grateful.

Sincerely,
Philip Ellender
President, Government & Public Affairs
Koch Companies Public Sector, LLC

*Listen to Senator Murray’s voicemail message here.

For a bit of a backstory on the liberal war on the Koch brothers, click here.

12 Responses to “Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) asks for campaign $ from Koch bros.”

Comments

1. Sefton says:

Just for fun, I’d have sent them a 5 figure donation in Monopoly money with a note telling them that “we’re all in” for the Murray campaign and there’s more where that came from.

2. NC COp says:

It’s the Jesse Jackson, DNC and Obama approach:

“Nice business you got there, shame if something happened to it…..”

3. Viking Mom says:

Sadly, I live in Washing ton State and have the dubious pleasure of having Patty Murray as my Senior Senator. She has won the “dumber than a bag of rocks” award for many years and this request to the Koch brothers doesn’t surprise me at all.

Her staff turnover rate is legendary and they’re probably all as bright as she is – although they usually manage to land six-figure incomes as consultants or lobbyists as soon as they leave her office!

It would all be funny if it wasn’t so sad!

4. Drew the Infidel says:

Mark Twain said it best. There is only one way to look at a politician and that is down.

5. PE says:

Not much point in talking to Dem pols. They’re too busy being crazy to listen.

6. mike191 says:

Mr.Ellender’s letter is a reflection of decorum and civility.He will never garner a response from the hearing impaired Dems.

7. Allen Fulghum says:

“If you would provide me with some insight on what exactly you are asking of us and why, I would be most grateful.”

Every citizen in the United States should be asking the Demonrats the question tucked in that statement every day as a matter of course. It would be interesting to hear what they say and compare it to what we know to be true.

@Mike 191: Don’t be too sure about that. They are brazen enough and certainly ignorant enough to say something like, “Oh, you thought I was talking about THOSE Koch brothers?”

Murray may be dumb as a box of rocks, and jackasses in general may be, too, but their arrogance, vanity and despise of the common man has no bounds.

9. Rorschach says:

I THOUGHT I heard constant maniacal laughter coming from the north… now I understand….

Must be nice to be a Dem Senator. They get to vacation on a resort island in South Caroline, most likely on the taxpayer’s dime, while the rest of America gets to enjoy their “stay-cation”. – Lorica

11. mike191 says:

Carlos ,what you stated about the current Dems in power, I have no issue with.The best response by this cabal is no response.However,let the week pass and see if Murray makes your premise true.