Kids punished for saying “bless you” in the classroom??

Posted by: ST on September 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

What in the world?

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) — A Northern California teacher says he doesn’t want to hear a common courtesy in his classroom.

He’s even lowering students’ grades if they say “bless you” after someone sneezes.

Steve Cuckovich says the practice is disrespectful and disruptive. He’s banned saying “bless you” in his high school health class in Vacaville.

He even knocked 25 points from one student’s grade for saying the phrase in class.

Cuckovich says the policy has nothing to do with religion, but says the phrase is just a outdated practice and disrupts class time.

“When you sneezed in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body,” Cuckovich said. “So they were saying, ‘god bless you’ for getting rid of evil spirits. But today, I said what you’re doing doesn’t really make any sense anymore.”

The article went on to say that after parents complained about the deduction of points for saying “bless you” that Cuckovich stopped it. But he’s going to look into other ways of punishing the students for such so-called “eruptions of class time.”

$10 says this dork is a liberal. Thoughts?

22 Responses to “Kids punished for saying “bless you” in the classroom??”

Comments

1. Phineas says:

Why is it always my state? :(

2. Missourimule says:

My guess is that if kids said “it’s Bush’s fault”, after someone sneezed, the teacher would have no complaint.

3. ST says:

LOL ((((Phin)))

4. AS says:

I’m sorry but im an extreme liberal and have no issue with a practice of being polite.

5. L. Morgan says:

Oh yeah, definitely a lib. Found a twitter feed for person I think is same man… @Cuck11. This person is a high school teacher from Sacramento area. Among other gems, he mentions having wished his wife “Happy Earth Day” (on what also happened to be her birthday, though he hadn’t wished her Happy Birthday yet), and mentioned how excited he was to find David Gregory on Twitter just after having joined it. Also tweeted to Cornel West about his daughter meeting Cornel at a book signing. As the Magic 8 Ball would say, All Signs Point To… him being a liberal. Why am I not surprised?

6. Mad Monica says:

I wonder what happens when folks say “Allah be praised!” Or… “Blessed Be”

7. Jay Stevens says:

Snowe is up for reelection in 2012. With the Maine economy as bad as it is, she may be facing a rough primary.

8. Jay Stevens says:

Whoops. Wrong thread. Sorry.

9. Politijim says:

He is correct in understanding of it’s origin. “Gesundheit” (God bless you in German) came from Christians who were involved in a “gift of the Spirit” the bible calls deliverance or casting out demons. (Do a Youtube search on Bob Larson if you want to actually see one of these in process. The audio in the movie Exorcism of Emily Rose is actual live footage of an exorcism)

Uncontrollable Sneezing was one of many symptoms indicating demon possession and praying the name of Jesus and/or in commanding the spirit to go they would ‘bless’ the possessed person so the evil spirit couldn’t stay.

Most people – including us Christians – have no idea why we say it other than to be polite. (I didn’t).

The Bible says, “Death and Life is in the power of the tongue” and that we SHOULD “bless and not curse.”

I wonder if he also prohibits other words or pronouncements including vulgarity or “damn you.”

It is kind of a superstitious habit I suppose but Sister T is right in wondering what kind of person would be upset over wishing someone a blessing.

Probably someone who is jealous they don’t have one themselves.

God bless him.

10. mike in Baltimoe says:

In Texas, we would just say “Well bless his little pea-pickin’ heart”

Those of you in Texas will know what that really means.

11. raugaj says:

I saw this dink interviewed and he claims that it is because the origin of the practice is passe that he doesn’t like it. The fact is, no one in our lifetime has said “God bless you” thinking that it had anything to do with demon possession.
    For most people, this is just a courtesy, much like a man entering the elevator before a lady, even though elevators don’t plunge to the basement anymore (as far as I know).

12. Him says:

When you sneeze your heart stops for a second…..thats why people say bless you……..

13. Liz says:

He’s an angry lib, no question about it! Loved the ‘it’s Bush’s fault’…so funny!I bet they are all in a fit over what Biden said yesterday!Ha!He said it’s time to blame Obama and Biden for the economic situation!Sometimes you just have to love that man!

14. dan says:

what an idiot.

15. TC says:

Just more proof that performance doesnt matter in our school system as long as you stay in line.

Just another bb brained idiot looking for his 15 mins of fame. These people are so pathetic, and have grown very tiresome. There has never been an agnostic or atheistic society in all of human history, why is this numbskull trying to establish one now?? Also, if I were a parent with a child in his class, there would be NO end to the complaining I would rain down on the principle, the school board and everyone else for this individual attempting to change correct behavior I have instilled into MY child. It is just not his place, and he is way out of line here. – Lorica

17. Joseph Brown says:

Phineas, It’s not called the “left coast” for nothing. And to think I wanted to stay in CA, loved Sacto, when I got discharged in ’66. My wife who has always been smarter than me said….NO.
    Mike in Baltimore, I’m from SC, but I definitely know what pea pickin’ heart means. We southerners talk alike, don’t we?

18. H Hazell says:

Thankfully, Christians are not executed in our country; we’re just persecuted.

19. Tex says:

Apparently not only do the Liberals want no freedom of religion in this country but no freedom … period!

20. Zippy says:

Every time I say “Bless you” to someone they most often are thankful or respond with “I can use all the blessings I can get”…

Wonder if he would be happier if when HE sneezes someone says “Don’t choke on a bone”..

21. MissJean says:

I’m a teacher, and I can say whether he’s liberal or conservative, he’s letting his eccentricities interfere with creating a comfortable learning environment. If the “bless you” was really disruptive behavior, he would have written a disciplinary referral – and to the sneezer, too. However, his administrator(s) would have cracked down on his eccentricity because they’d have to deal with the students sent to the office. I’m guessing that his policy about deducting points was changed by administrative pressure. Every teacher and administrator knows you don’t punish a child academically for a behavioral problem.(Academic punishment is saved for academic dishonesty, like cheating or plagiarism.)

On a side note, I encourage my students to respond to sneezes – with “salud”, “dinero” and “amor”. In some Spanish-speaking countries, you wish these things upon the sneezer. First health (salud) because the sneezer isn’t well. Then money (dinero) because if you don’t have health, you’ll need to pay a doctor. And finally love (amor) because if you don’t have health or money, you need someone who loves you enough to nurse you!

Seems to me this arrogant, narcissistic dweeb thinks that he really does have something important enough to say that he doesn’t want such outrageous interruptions.

And so far, he hasn’t shown me that he has anything to say to anyone that’s worth listening to…