#SOTU drinking game: One way of getting through an hour of an Obama speech

Posted by: ST on February 12, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Well, to be responsible about this, I don’t recommend drinking through the ENTIRE speech – should you have the stomach to watch it – but a couple of beers might help you get through the hour.  Suggested words to drink to, courtesy of the Debate Drinking website:

Start off right. Take a drink if the state of the union is‘strong’ - take two drinks if it is anything other than strong.

Take a drink* when you hear any of the following words or phrases

Let me be clear
Invest (ing/ment)
Together
Values
Future
The time for (anything) is now
Opportunity
Robot Uprising
Infrastructure
Immigration
Lincoln
Jobs
Middle Class
Challenge
Energy
Reagan

They’ll also have “real-time, live-streaming, drink-totaling, super-hyphenated, magic scoreboard“ you can follow as well.  For those of you who are REALLY into it. :) Just please make sure to drink responsibly, and all that.

Yours truly won’t be watching the speech, but will be monitoring the “festivities” on Twitter, where the translations from fellow conservatives of what Obama says usually prove to be right on the money.

Following the President’s speech (excerpts) will be the GOP response, which will be given by Senator Marco Rubio  (FL) (excerpts).  Senator Rand Paul (KY) will provide the Tea Party rebuttal to Obama (excerpts).  Not sure if Rubio and Paul will be speaking at the same time or not.  Daily Caller makes it sound like they will be back to back. I suspect this is the case.

If you can’t get to a TV for the 9pm ET speech, you can – of course – catch it on C-SPAN.

7 Responses to “#SOTU drinking game: One way of getting through an hour of an Obama speech”

Comments

I find it ironic how the President talks about “2 unpaid wars” but plans on using the “savings” of ending these “2 unpaid wars” as gifts to his low information voters / welfare rolls. It is idiotic. – Lorica

2. Sefton says:

I couldn’t stomach watching or listening to Brundle Fly again (wonder if they had the place fumigated before he spoke?).

If you really wanted to get plastered fast, though, a drink for every lie heard would’ve done the trick.

I had a previous engagement, so missed out on all the wonderfulness of his self-congratulatory but defamation-of-Republicans/conservatives/anyone-that-takes-responsibility speech, but can guarantee you that if one had a small sip of hard liquor every time he used either the first person singular or the royal “we,” one would be smashed out of one’s gourd before he was halfway through his tedious recounting of his greatness.

And I know it’s too much to hope for, but if he was 1% the man he thinks he is he would have announced his resignation to the world, and promised to abide in a monastery for the next twenty years contemplating all his past evils and how to make it right with all the fools who believed him.

4. Tom TB says:

If I could ask the Prez a question: how many laws did that Newtown CT killer violate before he even GOT to the school? Murdering one’s Mother is still illegal; last time I checked…

5. Phineas says:

“Robot uprising?” That I can endorse. ;)

6. Great White Rat says:

Anyone who participated in the drinking game as outlined here probably got alcohol poisoning.

I spent my time watching a hockey game instead. “Listening to an hour of non-stop lies” isn’t on my bucket list.

7. MissJean says:

Listened to it on the radio. The first mind-blowing thing for me was that he’s hinting at circumventing Congress to prevent global warming. The fellow who voted “present” so many times, who said giving abortion survivors medical attention was “above my pay grade” – he’s qualified to make this decision on his own? :-\

And the idea of funding everyone’s pre-school… I’m a teacher. I have read the MULTIPLE studies that HeadStart hasn’t worked, that uninvolved parents don’t get involved if they can pawn their children onto someone else, etc. So we’re supposed to build an additional tier of public education – oh, wait! Make that two! He also wants to re-work high school so that all kids have associate’s degrees when they graduate. (We have something similar where I teach, but it’s not for every student, only ones who show promise of success.)

And raising minimum wage: Gah! Our municipalities and library system just finished hiring part-timers to replace full-timers, all as part of the rush to avoid Obamacare penalties. A wage change means new hires get the ax. I imagine it will be the same, if not worse for small businesses.

And don’t get me started on ending the Cold War with Russia, giving the right to vote to people (complete with cheers), and negotiating open trade with the EU.