What do we have to do to win the culture war?

Posted by: ST on March 28, 2014 at 9:32 am

SMH

I read the below series of tweets from my friend @KemberleeKaye on a disturbing experience she had this morning at a local donut shop in Texas when she went to get breakfast. In a nutshell, a nice elderly lady in the store saw a homeless man sitting nearby and bought him a donut. She walked away and he followed her, asked if she was a Christian. She said yes. He said he refused to take charity from Christians because they “hated homosexuals.” She tried to leave the store and he followed her and threw the donut at her.

Yes, obviously the unhinged jerk was extraordinarily rude and disrespectful, and this is just one incident, but I see this attitude a lot – assuming that Christians “hate” gays. And it expands further than that to other social issues, like casual sex, birth control, abortion, and religion. I know there are Christians that give the rest of us a bad name, but I think this belief system has a lot more to do with how the activist left – with help from their liberal allies in the print and online media – have distorted and demagogued the various issues social conservatives have focused on over the years into something they’re not. For example, they paint abortion as being about “women’s health” rather than about the unborn life. Birth control is painted as a “right” and anyone who opposes paying for it on a faith basis is painted is a woman-hating “pig” who wants to “control women.” And on and on.

Honestly, conservatives and Christians haven’t done a very good, effective job at neutralizing the left’s social issues talking points in the context of the culture wars. But you have to keep in mind, too, that some of that has to do not just with how the left routinely portrays us and the issues that are important to us, but it also has to do with the minority of cuckoos on the far right saying the wrong thing and the media completely focusing on them while ignoring those who can much better articulate social/cultural issue positions. So how DO we turn things around and start winning again? Keep in mind I’m not talking about government “solutions” but instead looking for ways we can go about in our daily lives that can reverse the nasty stereotype the left has successfully painted us as. I firmly believe that social issues ARE fiscal issues and that if we don’t reverse the left wing monopoly on them, then we’ll see major socio-economic problems in the future that make the current ones look like a piece of cake to handle by comparison.

Thoughts?

13 Responses to “What do we have to do to win the culture war?”

Comments

1. While it is true that the left and the leftist media will always try to use a Molotov cocktail approach to anything conservatives have to say, I would not attach too much importance to this one isolated incident. Consider this: Would you ask a homeless bum for financial advice? He cannot have too much going for him in the world.

“Indeed all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceivers and deceived.”–2 Timothy 3:12-13

2. Tuerqas says:

I know exactly what you mean. I have an atheist, Libertarian friend (we have both been Libertarians since HS in the late seventies). Because she is an atheist, she has cred with Liberals even though they disagree on most topics. As a conservative Christian, she brought me in to a daily facebook discussion with a host of liberal ‘elites’. Christianity comes up a lot and it is a trial to take all of the stereotyping (especially since my beliefs are, shall we say, not mainstream in many ways). In their world view, the homeless man’s words are basic truth and the woman’s hatred is pre-ordained. A few might take him to task for tossing the doughnut, but there would be a lot more liberals on the site saying something like ‘If I saw that, I would have bought the man a steak dinner on the spot.’ How do you fight such blatant close-minded stereotyping when the narrow minded claim to be the open-minded, culturally superior, morally high-grounded ones? That is the definition of indoctrination, but you are the close-minded, a$$hole, idiot for pointing that out or even thinking that could be true.

I do a lot of comparisons, and sometimes they are understood. For example, recently on the topic of abortion, I pointed out the hypocrisy of poo-pooing any argument that has any relationship whatsoever with religion because if you are religious you are already an idiot, basing any beliefs on a centuries out of date book. They are quick to point to relevant and irrelevant corollaries showing that the roots of those beliefs are flawed. The comparison then is how Margaret Sanger and company were unrepentant eugenicists and the roots of liberal beliefs are equally flawed. Of course, it was a liberal site, so my good answers were un-published a day later when I went back to it…

3. DamnCat says:

Christians are doing the bidding of Jesus when they feed the hungry. Those oppose them doing so are following someone else’s bidding.

4. formwiz says:

Haters gotta hate, as the Lefties love to say and the Left can’t live without generating lots of hate.

The Left also lives on lies and lies always fail in the end, so you just be faithful to your principles, tell the truth, and give the Lefties time.

They’ll hang themselves, and seem to be doing a dandy job of it these days.

5. Sefton says:

He raised his voice and said Christians preach hate against ‘homosexuals.’

His proclamation was incorrect to start with.

Yet again you cannot disagree with a liberal without it being (de)elevated to hate. They are a pathetic group of low intellect, pointless buffoons. It truly is a sad state of affairs in America. – Lorica

7. 1stworlder says:

So a kolach is a pretentious name for a fruit filled donut, no wonder I didn’t recall it from when I visited TX. Just like in my multiple trips to Italy I never saw Italian sodas.

The good news for the homeless man is that the gays will pay him for sex. There was actually a leftist publication that covered the homeless population in San Francisco where one homeless was quoted as saying his previous “husband” walks by him every week, so I guess he would like gay alimony.

When I was a little punkin many decades ago, I was taught in my church that one “Hates the sin, loves the sinner.”

That’s a very difficult matter in some cases because the sin tends to define the sinner, but it’s a very easy matter in most cases.

But try to explain the distinction between sin and sinner to most libs, even most moderates, and they’ll look at you like you’ve got two noses and three eyes. They just can’t wrap their minds around the difference.

9. Tuerqas says:

Carlos, it always seems to me that they understand the difference, they just don’t believe it. They believe that all Christians use that phrase as an excuse to spew hate and pretend love, and in some cases I have to agree. However, they see one person that talks the talk, but does not walk the walk and assume that all Christians are hypocrites.

Ask 10 American Christians if acts of homosexuality should be illegal and in general at least 7 will say yes. Should it? Do we live in a free democratic Republic or a semi-free pseudo-theocratic Republic? It seems most Christians prefer all sins to be against the law, I don’t know, maybe it is easier?

Liberals skip the ‘it seems most’ part of that last statement and go right to all Christians believe all sins should be against the law. As I am also a believer in the constitution, I disagree with that, but on every contentious thread on these topics I get at least 1 Christian who does insist all sins should be against the law, or at least lobbied to be against the law. Then on those threads, libs question my faith because it does not fit their belief that all Christians are narrow-minded, intolerant, excuse ridden hypocrites, like the one Christian.

@Tuerqas: We are well into a theocracy now, but it is a theocracy of worshipping Gaiae and self; anything goes, as long as no one else is physically harmed (unless they happen to be a white male, then even that is OK).

Do I want every “sin” made illegal? No. But realize the laws against theft, murder, etc., come from somewhere; they weren’t just made up because someone had a bright idea in 1946, or even 1786.

What I do object to, though, is those “theocracy haters” who force me into believing like them under penalty of law, or at least pretending to believe like them.

So, their theocracy is OK but mine isn’t, is that it?

11. Tuerqas says:

Not at all, though I do not soil my belief in God by comparing secular self love with my religion. I would not call liberal progressivism a religion and I will pretty zealously attack the position of those who do. You and I have beliefs, and atheistic liberals have beliefs, but while you and I call a particular portion of our belief set a religion, they do not. Neither atheism nor progressivism is in any way a theology. This is a (relatively rare) case where you are comparing apples to oranges and changing the meaning of words to suit your argument instead of the liberal. That is a very liberal tactic and not a good one, don’t do it. “Theocracy haters” do not have a theology and espouse no form of theocracy. A secular belief in free, legal abortions for all is not religious or even anti-religious.

Homosexuality, prostitution, (women in charge of anything outside the household) these are not approved of by the Christian religion yet I would argue that they should not be against the ‘law of the land’ to practice. A theocracy is simply a form of Government that makes all sins against God to be the laws of the land. There are practitioners too, all throughout the Arabic world.