DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz hoisted by her own petard

Posted by: ST on February 3, 2015 at 9:59 am
DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz

‘Sorry, not sorry.’

And it was a beautiful thing. Via NBC News:

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the head of the Democratic National Committee, walked back comments she reportedly made about the dilution of the Jewish community.

The DNC is now walking back those comments, releasing this statement from Wasserman Schultz saying she does “not oppose intermarriage.”

“At an annual Jewish community event in my congressional district, I spoke about my personal connection to Judaism and in a larger context about the loss of Jewish identity and the importance of connecting younger generations to the institutions and values that make up our community. I do not oppose intermarriage; in fact, members of my family, including my husband, are a product of it,” the Florida Demorat said in a statement.

The conservative Daily Caller recently reported that Wasserman Schultz criticized Jewish intermarriages at an event last month in Florida.

From that DC piece:

The Florida congresswoman’s eye-opening comments came at a breakfast event held earlier this month at a south Florida branch of the Jewish Federation.

Previously unpublished audio of the event was obtained by The Shark Tank, a Florida-based political blog.

“We have the problem of assimilation. We have the problem of intermarriage,” Wasserman Schultz said after mentioning her husband, who she seemingly met through the Jewish Federation.

“We have the problem that too many generations of Jews don’t realize the importance of our institutions strengthening our community — particularly with the rise of antisemitism and global intolerance, which obviously we saw in horrific technicolor in just the last week in Paris.”

Wellll, she’s right about the rise of anti-Semitism and global intolerance towards Jewish people, but unfortunately she’ll never admit that her side of the aisle is the one that routinely perpetuates dangerous myths about Islamofascism and who the true aggressors really are in the global war on terror.

But her remarks on “the problem of intermarriage”? Wow – can you imagine if a Republican in her position had said anything remotely similar to that??

5 Responses to “DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz hoisted by her own petard”

Comments

1. Phineas says:

I’ll cut Debbie Downer a (very) little slack on this, only because one’s status as a Jew is inherited and then only through the mother’s line, as I recall. That can create a cultural dilution through out-marriage that’s been a regular concern of many Jews I know, but I’ve never detected a bigoted element to it.

What this incident really represents is an indirect indictment of the mainstream media, which, as we know, mostly functions as the public relations arm of the Democratic Party. As you say, if a Republican had said something like this, the media would cut no slack whatsoever for him or her, and every other Republican running for office would be forced to answer the “do you agree with” question. Noah Rothman has a good piece on this at Hot Air.

2. IBEW47 says:

She has the chutzpah to think she promotes Judaism while supporting the democrat party and Obama? really?

It all runs back to the attitude that jackasses (or, in this case, a jenny) can say what they please and never pay a price for it.

While I agree with her sentiment, and I also believe she should be able to say any stupid thing she wants to (which is her typical m.o.), the problem I see with her public statement is it sounds terribly similar to the “dilution of the Aryan race” that was pounded into German heads eight decades ago by one whose Aryan “pureness” was mocked by those who knew. He won that battle, and the rest of the world had to pay that price.

Try harder, Sarge, to stick with the “I know NOTHING” schtick.

4. Drew the Infidel says:

Wasserman-Schultz’s ill-advised and insensitive remarks make it obvious even to the distracted among us that she is no authority on Judaism. Open mouth, insert foot.

5. ST says: