Cheney accepts responsibility for shooting accident
Via Fox News:
NEW YORK — Vice President Dick Cheney said he and he alone was responsible for a weekend hunting accident in which he shot Austin attorney Harry Whittington.
“Ultimately I’m the guy who pulled the trigger, that fired the round that hit Harry,” Cheney said in his first interview since the incident. “I’m the guy who pulled the trigger and shot my friend, and that’s something I’ll never forget.
Cheney’s first public response following his accidental shooting of a man in the face comes more than 72 hours after it occurred. The interview will be broadcast on “Special Report With Brit Hume” at 6 p.m. EST.
Cheney’s radio silence following the Saturday shooting was met by bewilderment and anger in Washington. But on Wednesday, the vice president seemed to express deep remorse.
“The image of him falling is something I will never be able to get out my mind,” Cheney said, somberly. “It was one of the worst days of my life.”
Cheney also filled in some of the blanks of what happened that Saturday evening in south Texas, details of which have been sketchy so far. Self-described hunting and gun experts have been weighing in to blame Cheney for not looking before he shot, blame Whittington for not announcing his presence, or both.
Earlier this week, White House spokesman Scott McClellan implied that Whittington did not follow hunting protocol. On Wednesday, the vice president made clear that he took all the blame.
“It was not Harry’s fault,” he said. “You cannot blame anybody else.”