President Obama’s bizarre marriage-theme fund-raising scheme — where he asks couples to request campaign donations from their guests in lieu of wedding gifts — has been a total flop.
The desperate initiative, dubbed “the Event Registry,” is being mocked by event planners and couples — and shows how desperate the Obama campaign is to keep up with GOP contender Mitt Romney’s fund-raising.
Campaign officials launched the initiative in late June, the same month Obama raised just $71 million compared to Romney’s $100 million.
So far, “the Event Registry” has been all but ignored on social-media sites — even though Facebook, Twitter and other networks have been a strong suit for the Obama campaign.
“The number of links and stories about the announcement is very low since the news went live on June 22,” said Meredith Klee, a spokeswoman for the social-media tracking firm Topsy.
Her site’s latest data show 1,137 posts on Twitter about the registry.
And only a few hundred links to the registry have been shared on Facebook — even though Obama has more than 27 million fans on the site, according to Topsy.
“It’s a gift that we can all appreciate — and goes a lot further than a gravy bowl,” said campaign staffer Laura Wilson while announcing the initiative.
Unfortunately for Wilson and the rest of the Obama campaign, it sounds like most soon-to-be-married couples are not exactly keen on the idea of requesting donations to our celebrity President’s reelection campaign in lieu of wedding gifts. Perhaps it’s the sheer tackiness of the idea that has them turning their noses up at the idea. Either that or perhaps they believe the government has taken enough from them already and that they deserve to be able to enjoy for years to come the thoughtful wedding gifts from family and friends who actually care about them and their futures – unlike the socialistic nitwits in this administration who want to do nothing but take and dictate.