Planned Parenthood pulls a NARAL

Posted by: ST on November 1, 2005 at 3:09 pm

…. by telling lies about a USSC nominee - in this case, Judge Samuel Alito:

“Judge Alito was the lone dissenter in Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey when the case was before the Third Circuit, voting to uphold Pennsylvania’s spousal notification requirement. In callous disregard of battered women who would be affected by the statute, Alito wrote separately from the majority to express his support for the law, which would have required Pennsylvania women to notify their husbands prior to obtaining an abortion. The Supreme Court later ruled the spousal notification provision unconstitutional, holding that a state cannot give a man control over his wife, . . .”

Their fabrications and distortions, most notably, the bit about the “callous disregard of battered women”, are explained by Verity at Southern Appeal who writes:

2. The “in callous disregard of battered women,” is an outright lie. The statute at issue provided an exception, providing that notice is not required if: “The woman has reason to believe that the furnishing of notice to her spouse is likely to result in the infliction of bodily injury upon her by her spouse or by another individual.”

Read the whole thing. Way to go, Planned Parenthood – using outright lies to scare women into not supporting this nomination. Here’s a suggestion: why don’t you gals at PP try honesty for a change? It’d be incredibly refreshing.

Related Toldjah So posts:

68 Responses to “Planned Parenthood pulls a NARAL”

Comments

1. Evon says:

Personal disclosure: My father, a farmer, and my mother wanted a boy so badly they didn’t have a name picked out for a girl. Also I was born with multiple heart defects and the resulting illness resulted in many tirades beginning with, “You cost me the more money than anyone else in this family….” I’m still glad to be here.

I enjoyed reading your story on your change in attitude about abortion. I have given myself several chances to change my mind–especially since so many parents regard arranging an abortion for a daughter on the same level as allowing her to sleep late. I’m still pro-life and joined a responsible pro-life group soon after I read about the first abortion doctor being murdered.

2. PCD says:

I remember Feminazi Rep. Patsy Mink was on C-Span taking calls on her Pro-Abortion legislation. I managed to get through and ask the question my adopted Korean daughter asked, “Ms. Mink, why do you belive that my daughter, Brenda Sung Mee, should have been aborted by her Korean mother?” I told Patsy that Brenda Sung Mee was watching her and waiting for the answer. Mink just stared into the camera and didn’t utter a word, and that is the way that C-Span segment ended, early!

3. PCD says:

Sister,

I believe in Robert Heinlein’s theory of Balancing. In my deleted retort to Elendril, I was just placing Elendril in the same jeopardy as she places unborn babies. Although I doubt it would wake Elendril to the injustice of her position, I wanted her to hopefully put herself in that position to think about it.

I appologize to you for exceeding your bounds of taste and hospitality.

4. Thanks for understanding, PCD *cyber handshake*

5. Brian says:

PCD,

Do you know what a Nazi is? Do you know what the Nazis did in World War II? Are you able to come up with a thought of your own or do you just repeat everything Rush Limbaugh says.

It’s Conservatives like you and Rush Limbaugh who support policies that make it much more likely that many women will end up getting abortions. Do you ever wonder why the United States has by far the highest abortion rate of any industrialized country?

6. Brian says:

Sister Toldjah,

I read your post on your views on abortion. If you care so much about babies, why do you so strongly support the party that wants to cut funding for providing healthcare for poor babies and poor pregnant women?

LINK

Did you know the mortality rate for infants whose mothers received little or no prenatal care is almost 10 times that of mothers who received frequent prenatal care, according to figures from the National Center for Health Statistics? Why do you support the party that wants to cut funding for programs that provide money for poor pregnant women to get prenatal care?

Do you really think that making abortions illegal stops women from having abortions? Did you know that one half of all abortions around the world are performed illegally? Did you know that illegal abortions are one of the leading causes of death for women of child-bearing ages in many countries where abortions are illegal? Did you know that in the country with lowest abortion rate in the world, the Netherlands, abortions are safe, legal, and free?

7. PCD says:

Brian,

Thank you for admitting you are losing the argument. Also, thanks for admitting you can’t refute what I say, so you go on an emotional and personal attack. You lost buddy.

As for abortions, I blame Liberals like you who run from their obligations and want the woman to get rid of the life you 2 so carelessly created.

You are demonstrating the irresponsibility of your philosophy and lifestyle so eliquantly with your abortion at any time, any method political jihad.

Brian,
    I have a problem with the comment about the United States having the highest abortion rate of any industrialized country. China is an industrialized country and China has aborted far more children than we have. The real sad fact is that in China baby boys have outnumbered baby girls almost 9 to 1 since the establishment of China’s 1 child policy. I saw on 60 minutes a story about women who have kept their one and only child are considered pariahs if that child was a girl.

I also like how you use one of the smallest countries in the world to talk about how few abortions there are. I would bet that the abortion rate of Luxemburg is even below that, or the principality of Monaco. It would be like comparing Chicago to the city of Harper’s Ferry Iowa. Nice try. – Lorica

Ohhh and last I looked, abortions are still legal in this country. As far as your comment about poor folk getting reproductive services. Our PP clinic here had a perfect opportunity to show that they were for the little folk when they moved into this area. But did they locate in an area that would be easy for poor people to get to. NOPE!!! They located 2 blocks from upper middle class to wealthy income families in a very posh part of the city of Bettendorf Iowa. Now I would be alot more prone to believe that PP has the best interests of the poorer people and their needs if PP had actually put a clinic in the poorer part of town. Which sadly was not the case.

9. Brian says:

Lonica,

Chna is a developing country, not an industrial country. About half of their population is in the agricultural sector.

The population of a country has nothing to do with how high or low the abortion rate. Abortion rate is based on the percentage, not the total numbers. The Netherlands has the lowest abortion rate, not the fewest abortions.

I never said abortions weren’t legal in this country.

Planned Parenthood is not the primary provider and payer of health services to the poor. Medicaid is the primary payer for health services for poor people and Republicans are proposing to cut billions of dollars of funding from Medicaid. This shows the complete hypocrisy of the Republicans that call themselves “pro-life”.

10. Brian you have absolutely no room to be calling anyone on alleged ‘hypocrisy’ regarding their pro-life stances and supporting Republicans – how about we question YOUR commitment to the unborn? Do you care about them? If so, why do you support abortion and the Democratic party?

See how silly your question is now? This works BOTH ways.

YOU are the one who is being hypocritical. I suggest you take that hypocrisy mirror you’ve been shoving in everyone’s faces and look in it yourself first.

11. Baklava says:

Brian made the following inaccurate accusation (part of an on-going pattern), “the party that wants to cut funding for providing healthcare for poor babies and poor pregnant women?”

The hillarious opinion piece by the Washington Post didn’t help your case. The results are that the federal budget has grown by the Republican Congress (who controls the purse strings) every year since 1994 for health, education and social services.

Do you ever get tired of making accusations and having people explaining to you that your accusation are wrong?

What would be the model of conversation that you would rather have? Explain how that would go.

Hey Brian, that 3rd world country known as China, sent a man into space last month. Seems to me that they are not so 3rd world these days. Rate of crude oil use has almost doubled in the last 2 years and there is no slowing in sight. I am glad that half of China is agricultural, that is why their people aren’t starving. When you have over a billion mouths to feed you need alot of farmers. Being born and raised in Iowa I realized that America Needs Farmers, to quote Hayden Fry. And so does China.

As far as my comments about PP. At no point in time do I say that they are the “largest” provider of reprodutive services to the poor. Sadly what I left out was that they billed this as being needed for the poor.

And Yes I am well aware of how to figure percentages. The word rate also means frequency. As in the frequency of abortions are few in the Neatherlands which denotes a total over a period of time. Thanks for the english lesson tho. – Lorica

13. Brian says:

Sister Toldjah,

You have no understanding of the abortion issue. You don’t understand why women choose to have an abortion. You don’t understand why people are opposed to making abortions illegal. Your comments that at one time you were pro-choice because you thought it was impractical to bring an unwanted baby in the world show you don’t understanding why people are pro-choice. That is not the reason. You don’t understand that because someone opposes making abortion illegal, it doesn’t make them pro-abortion. Did you even read my posts? You obviously didn’t understand it. I don’t know why this is so difficult for you and other conservatives to understand. Making abortions illegal DOES NOT stop women from having abortions. What don’t you understand about this? Please, please look at these statistics on teen pregnancy and abortions.
    LINK

The United States abortion rate for teenagers is seven times as high as the Netherlands and eight times as high as Germany’s. Germany and the Netherlands do not have Conservative anti-abortion governments. Neither of these countries have Conservative anti-abortion movements. It is because they don’t have Conservative anti-abortion governments that their abortion rates are so much lower than in the United States. You do not understand that women don’t go out and get abortions just because they’re legal. They get abortions because they feel they’re in a situation where they need to end their pregnancy. Conservatives like you support policies that put more women in these situations. If you dispute this, then explain why the abortion rate in the United States is so high compared to other industrial countries that don’t have conservative governments such as the Netherlands and Germany. You will probably evade this just like you evaded all of the points I made in my last post and make statement that you don’t know to be true such as “I support abortion” which is not true. Your much more of a supporter of abortion than I am. Look at the results of the policies you support in the statistics I linked to above. Please don’t try and say the abortion rate is so high in the United States because it’s legal. Abortion is legal in Germany and the Netherlands also.

14. “You have no understanding of the abortion issue. You don’t understand why women choose to have an abortion. You don’t understand why people are opposed to making abortions illegal. Your comments that at one time you were pro-choice because you thought it was impractical to bring an unwanted baby in the world show you don’t understanding why people are pro-choice. That is not the reason. You don’t understand that because someone opposes making abortion illegal, it doesn’t make them pro-abortion. ”

So many lies and strawmen there it’s not worth bothering responding to. Brian, I suggest you examine your own position before you start dissecting my clearly consistent one … you aren’t getting anywhere in this conversation when you misrepresent and distort my position and then try to argue against it and tell me I have “no understanding” of the abortion issue. LOL! And YOU do? Where does your ‘deep’ insight come from on abortion? Ever had one?

Your posts on this are getting sillier by the minute. I really do suggest you abandon this argument because YOUR lack of knowledge about the issue stands out strong and you are starting to embarass yourself.

Oh, and on those “points” I’m evading – you’ve yet to make your first point because you keep lying about my position in the first place. These points in arguments here are where me and the other conservatives here realize you don’t have much of an idea of what you’re talking about – because you start arguing against positions they (and I) have NOT taken – that’s called a strawman argument, Brian. Stop making up non-existant positions because arguing against strawmen makes you look silly … not to mention the fact that it makes you look like you don’t spend any significant time reading what others post here. Time for a reality check, Brian. You’re just pi–ed because I called you out on your bogus questioning of my commitment to the unborn. I ASSURE you that my record on the unborn is light years ahead of yours. My posts prove it.

15. Baklava says:

Brian wrote, “You have no understanding of the abortion issue”

How can you possibly know what is in somebody else’s mind? How about just saying you disagree with what someone wrote because…..

Brian wrote, “You don’t understand why women choose to have an abortion”

Brian wrote, “Making murder illegal DOES NOT stop people from murdering”. er. oh. I changed a word here or there to show Brian’s logic.
    And you a man understand better than ST?

Brian wrote, “You will probably evade this ” Because it’s FLAWED THINKING! You can do this with any statistic. Like the murder rate in Japan or the birth to unwed teen rate in Japan. The CULTURES are different. We’ve gotten so liberal and permissive in this country that this stuff is the norm and you are saying the OPPOSITE. You are saying that the U.S. is too conservative.

You are misnaming and misattributing what conservativism is to us and then asking us to explain ourselves.

Well. Back the truck up! You’ve gone 1/2 way off the cliff with your reasoning and can’t pull yourself back. We’ve tried to help you but you are fighting us.

16. Brian says:

Sister Toldjah,

So far you have yet to respond to a single point or question. All you are doing is evading my questions/comments and attacking me. If your position is so right, why aren’t you willing to respond to any of my specific comments or questions?

You ask me, “Where does your ‘deep’ insight come from on abortion? Ever had one?”
    My deep insight on abortion comes from facts and evidence, not emotional appeals from anti-abortion activists. Having an abortion has nothing to do with being able to look at results of different policies.

I did not lie about your positions. I asked you specific questions about specific issues and specific Republican positions. If you do not support the position I questioned you about, you can state you don’t support it. If you do support the position, you can defend it. Instead you just evade all of my questions and comments and accuse me of lying about your position and tell me I “look silly”. I have yet to see you make a single point or respond to even one of my comments or questions.

Here are some of your evasions:

I asked you, “why do you so strongly support the party that wants to cut funding for providing healthcare for poor babies and poor pregnant women?”

You could have either explained why you support the Republicans on this issue or you could have said you do not support the Republicans position and you are against cutting spending on health services for the poor. Instead you just evaded my question.

I followed up on this question with:

You evaded this question also. You can either say you are against the Republicans cutting funding or you could say why you support their position. Instead you just evaded the question.

I asked you “Did you know that illegal abortions are one of the leading causes of death for women of child-bearing ages in many countries where abortions are illegal?”

You have said you are pro-life which really means you want to outlaw abortions. If abortions are outlawed, it means more women will die from illegal abortions. If you are really opposed to outlawing abortion you can state so. If you are in favor of outlawing abortions you could attempt to justify making abortions illegal even though this means that many women would die from illegal abortions. Instead you evaded the issue and did not respond.

I asked you “Did you know that in the country with lowest abortion rate in the world, the Netherlands, abortions are safe, legal, and free?”.

The point I was trying to make was that legalizing abortion doesn’t mean women will have more abortions and making it illegal doesn’t mean less women will have abortions. There are many countries where abortion is illegal that have much higher abortion rates than countries where abortion is legal. Like all of my other questions/comments, you evaded it and did not respond.

I have yet to see you show any knowledge on this issue.

My views are based on facts and evidence as to which policies are successful and which policies aren’t. Countries in Western Europe such as the Netherlands and Germany have much, much lower rates of abortion than the United States. My position is that if we follow many of the same policies of countries such as the Netherlands, abortion rates and infant mortality will go down. I have yet to see you provide and facts or evidence to show that the anti-abortion position of making abortions illegal will lower abortion rates.

To repeat my points again so that maybe you will respond:

Republicans are proposing to cut funding for healthcare for the poor (Medicaid). This would include prenatal care, which reduces infant mortality. Please state whether or not you support the Republicans position on this. You can either defend the Republicans position of cutting Medicaid or you can disagree and say the Democrats position of keeping Medicaid spending the same based on current law.

If abortions are outlawed, the number of women dying from illegal abortions will greatly increase. Do you support the “pro-life” position of outlawing abortion and seeing more women die from illegal abortions or are you opposed to outlawing abortions.

Do you think outlawing abortion will reduce the number of women getting abortions? If so, please explain why is it that in the country with the lowest abortion rate, the Netherlands, abortions are safe and legal and other countries where abortions are illegal have much higher rates?

I tried to make my points as clear as possible. Do you think you can respond to them instead of just accusing me of lying about your position and telling me my posts are getting “sillier by the minute”?

17. Brian says:

Baklava,

Once again you showed you have a very poor understanding of the facts. You attribute the high abortion rate to our country being “so liberal and permissive”. The fact is we are very conservative compared to countries such as the Netherlands which have much lower abortion rates and teen-pregnancy rates.

In the Netherlands, prostitution is legal. Marijuana can be legally purchased in the Netherlands. Abortion is not a controversial issue there.

In the Netherlands, all children are educated about contraception and contraception is free to everyone. Conservatives are strongly opposed to both of these policies. In many conservative states, contraception is not taught. There are many women in the United States who don’t use contraception. Some of them don’t because they can’t afford it or are not knowledgeable of it.

Given these facts, if having a “liberal and permissive” society causes a high abortion rate as you say, please explain why the Netherlands is the lowest in the world.

It seems your views are not based on facts but on what you want to be true. You want to believe that having a liberal and permissive society causes a high abortion rate so that is what you believe. Facts and evidence have nothing to do with your views.

You said before you became conservative in 1995 as a result of reading and listening to Rush Limbaugh. Given that I have already documented how much of what Rush Limbaugh says is lies or at least not true, how can you justify basing so much of your views on what he says/writes? If you didn’t see this site before that documents many of the lies/distortions in his books and from listening to his show for a few weeks, here it is again:

How can you take someone that is so dishonest and hateful so seriously?

18. Brian, I don’t owe you any response. Your question was silly and I called you on it by reversing it on to you. You have continued on attempting to claim some moral high ground where there is none in posts regarding who people support and why.

I asked you to kindly drop this but apparently you chose to ignore my request. So we’ll close this discussion my way. Any comments about me being a censoring witch can be sent to my email. Thank you.