The cover-up of the rape of an 11 year old

Posted by: ST on December 17, 2005 at 5:21 pm

Think about it. Imagine you have an 11 year old daughter. Your 11 year old daughter has been raped by her 17 year old boyfriend. You’d want to know, right? But instead of going to you, your daughter goes to Planned Parenthood and tells them instead. They, in turn, do not notify you. Afterall, why worry about a silly thing such as parental rights when you’ve got Planned Parenthood Golden Gate? From their “Shared stories” section:

I was raped at 11, by my 17 year old boyfriend. I chose not to tell my parents because I didn’t think their involvement would help, that was the right choice for me. Planned Parethood helped me deal with the aftermath of the rape allowing me to deal and cope as best as I could in my own way. I was 14 when I decided to start having sex, the day I made that choice I made an appointment to get birth control pills. I’m 17 now, I’ve been with my current boyfriend for about two years. During that time i’ve been HIV and STD tested four times. Right now I’m sitting in the waiting room while my boyfriend gets the results for his HIV test. We love each other so we’re responsible and Planned Parenthood helps us to do that.
– name withheld –

I found the link above via a post by Rob at Say Anything. Apparently due to the attention that story has rec’d from the blogosphere, Planned Parenthood has taken down that particular ‘shared story.’ I wonder why?

Matt Margolis at GOP Bloggers writes:

As if it’s not bad enough that parents rights are being attacked by organizations like Planned Parenthood in regards to abortion and parental consent for minors, but now we learn they’re also protecting rapists by not reporting the crime to the authorities, and once again denying parents their rights, as parents, to know when their minor child has been the victim of a sex crime.

Exactly. And it’s downright shameful. Isn’t it interesting how Planned Parenthood is supposedly all about providing information about ‘safe sex’ to young folks, but once those young folks become parents, Planned Parenthood doesn’t support their (or an adult parent’s) right to know what decisions their child makes without their knowledge once they start having sex and/or sex is forced upon that child?

Read more via Dawn Eden, who has the Internet archived version of the removed page.

ST reader Dana R. Pico has a good post up about this as well.

(Cross-posted at California Conservative)

Sunday Update: Chris Short at Conservative Thinking shares his thoughts. Myopic Zeal weighed in earlier this week as well.

Related Toldjah So posts:

24 Responses to “The cover-up of the rape of an 11 year old”

Comments

1. Red Tory says:

Perhaps it was dropped because the story simply wasn’t true.

After all, who in their right mind would allow their 11 year old daughter to date a 17 year old boy in the first place? As the father of three girls, I simply cannot fathom such a thing. I suppose it may actually happen, but if they’re THAT reckless and irresponsible then perhaps their involvement would indeed not have been “helpful” as the writer put it.

2. Kevin says:

I am ambivalent on abortion, but this statement is frightening. By publishing this, Planned Parenthood is saying that they think an 11 year old understands the ramifications of her actions better than her parents! What kind of nonsense is that?

3. Just read what they have written on their “teens” page, Kevin:

OK, so you’ve had enough of adults avoiding your questions or you’ve been too scared to even ask At Planned Parenthood we’ll give you straight-up answers and we’ll treat you with respect. After all, you are the only one who can decide what is right for you.

If you are age 12 or older, we will not tell your parents that you came to Planned Parenthood you do not need your parents’ permission to visit us.

(Bold emphasis theirs, red emphasis mine)

BTW, Red Tory: young people do things behind their parents backs all the time. What if this was a 17 year old ‘friend of the family’? Or in other cases, it could have been a 14 or 13 year old that raped an 11 year old. Parents cannot watch their children 24-7. There are things like sleepovers, camp, field trips, trips to the mall with friends, etc where parents aren’t always around and things happen. These parents have a RIGHT to know, just as you would if something had happened to one of your children. I don’t think you should just assume that it’s the parents who are neglible here. Just because you can’t fathom it happening doesn’t mean it can’t.

I also don’t think you should assume because the story was taken down that it wasn’t true. The person’s name was withheld so how would PP know how verify the story and identity of the person? Also, this story was taken down only after the attention it rec’d. I find that kind of telling, don’t you? It’s kinda like the gov’t taking a page down off their website because of the attention it’s rec’d from the nightly news.

This is very tragic. Planned Parenthood relishes in stepping over their bounds. I have a very hard being civil when PP is the subject so I will stop here. – Lorica

5. If the story is not true, it is nonetheless plausible, simply because of the sort of operation Planned Parenthood is and has always been. All by itself, that speaks volumes.

The Left has made abortion into a secular sacrament, not to be interfered with by anyone for any reason. Note how exercised they are about the use of sonograms to demonstrate the humanity of their unborn babies to mothers contemplating abortion. Note how vehement they are against abstinence education. Why, these things might bring down the abortion rate! Can’t have that. Careers are at stake — including the careers of some very high-profile politicians.

We approach a cusp. Stay vigilant.

6. Red Tory says:

A bad situation all around.

I realize that kids do things behind their parents’ backs. We were all kids once and know how that works — been there, done that.

And yes, while it may or may not be true, the story is certainly plausible. I don’t know what the motive of PP was for taking down the article. Or for that matter, putting it up in the first place. For all anyone knows they made it up themselves!

Like many Liberals I am not “pro-abortion” — I believe it’s wrong on many levels. I also believe that parental notification should be a prerequisite for such procedures barring exceptional circumstances. That’s where things start to get murky…

7. lcvrwc says:

Further proof that when Hillary Clinton said “It takes a village” she meant “Parents shouldn’t raise their kids.”

8. Francis: Excellent points – I wish I’d made ‘em myself :) Even if we were to go on the premise that this story *wasn’t* true, you’re right in that it is defintely plausible, considering the organization and how they tell teens on their very own site how they won’t tell their parents that they (the teen) have visted PP.

Red Tory: “Like many Liberals I am not “pro-abortion” — I believe it’s wrong on many levels. I also believe that parental notification should be a prerequisite for such procedures barring exceptional circumstances. That’s where things start to get murky …”

Outside of being raped by the father – in which case a special provision can be inserted into each state law for that – I don’t know why the issue becomes complicated.

Parents take heat for so many things that their kids do wrong, yet one thing that can change the child forever (having an abortion), some people (not saying you, but others do feel this way) think the teen/young person should be under no obligation to tell their parents, giving full responsiblity for the weight of the decision on the teen herself.

9. Norah says:

So, you know this girl’s parents better than she does? She says she didn’t think their involvement would help, and if they’re so clueless as to create an environment where their 11 year old dates a 17 year old, I’d say she may have a point.

Perhaps they’re the type of people who see their kid as not only personal property but an extension of them as well. Perhaps they’ve fostered a relationship where she doesn’t feel comfortable telling them things, for whatever reason. Perhaps they’re unstable, or absent physically or emotionally. Hate to break it to you, but not everyone is a good parent, and not every kid is smart enough to seek help somewhere when her parents can’t help her. What would you rather, that she had nobody to turn to?

10. Norah: “So, you know this girl’s parents better than she does?”

ST: No. Do you think 11 year olds always tell the truth about their parents?

Norah: “She says she didn’t think their involvement would help,”

Norah: “and if they’re so clueless as to create an environment where their 11 year old dates a 17 year old, I’d say she may have a point.”

ST: What makes you think they ‘created’ this environment, Norah? See my prior post to Red Tory about situations where this could occur even in the perfect household. Why are you so quick to take the word of an 11 year old over an adult?

Norah: “Perhaps they’re the type of people who see their kid as not only personal property but an extension of them as well. Perhaps they’ve fostered a relationship where she doesn’t feel comfortable telling them things, for whatever reason. Perhaps they’re unstable, or absent physically or emotionally.”

ST: You’re making quite a few assumptions there based on the word of an 11 y/o Norah. Are you always so trusting of young folks over their parents?

Norah: “Hate to break it to you, but not everyone is a good parent, and not every kid is smart enough to seek help somewhere when her parents can’t help her.”

ST: You aren’t “breaking” anything to me, Norah. I know that not all parents are good parents, and I know not all kids are smart enough to seek help somewhere else. It’s YOU who needs info “broken” to them here, Norah, and that’s that an 11 year old should not be allowed to walk into PP without her parents knowing about it. I take it that you’re ok with the parents not knowing this girl was raped and you’re also ok with the rapist not being punished simply because you obviously think the parents are the baddies here?

Norah: “What would you rather, that she had nobody to turn to? ”

ST: She should turn to her parents first. That’s the bottom line.

I’ll chalk you up as one who thinks 11 year olds are mature enough to make adult decisions about their bodies. It scares me to know that there are many more out there who believe just as you do, Norah, that 11 year olds are mature enough to make decisions about their bodies. What else do you think they are mature enough to do? Get prescriptions for birth control? Run for president?

11. Baklava says:

Hate to “break” it to you ST. Liberals are condescending with their attitude sometimes…. :-w

:-$ Like I had to break that to you….

I think it stems from liberals belief that we are dumb, not caring, anti-environment, against the poor, against women, racist, etc.

I’ll just say this Norah, Conservatives and liberals “care” and both have varying levels of intelligence (that are more or less equal – both parties have their kneejerks and illiterate and the college educated in about equal numbers). WHERE WE DIFFER Norah is our solutions to the problems and the identification of the problems. We view it as a problem that an “entity” isn’t reporting a rape once it finds out. If this same entity knew or “FELT” that the parents were being abusive to the child it would be DUTY BOUND to call CPS. Teachers in schools are duty bound also. Rape needs to be reported and the “LEGAL Guardian” needs to be informed. It is NOT UP TO THE JUDGEMENT of the 11 year old on whether it’d been helpful for the parents to know. Period.

12. Kevin says:

Norah, I’m only saying that I trust the parents of an 11 year old more than I trust an 11 year old.

Perhaps this, perhaps that. I believe it is VERY fair to say that the majority of 11 yr old’s parents know more about consequences of life-changing decisions than the 11 yr olds themselves. I’m confident you would agree. So let’s allow the legal guardian to make the decision, and on the odd occasion where that would be damaging to the kid, let them go to court. Not the other way around.

13. Norah says:

I know that not all parents are good parents, and I know not all kids are smart enough to seek help somewhere else. It’s YOU who needs info “broken” to them here, Norah, and that’s that an 11 year old should not be allowed to walk into PP without her parents knowing about it…She should turn to her parents first. That’s the bottom line.

So you “know” not all parents are good and some are horrifyingly bad? Want a medal? You pay the obligatory lip service to this idea and then turn right around and ignore the possibilty that maybe there’s a really good reason not to tell the parents, and maybe she knows better than you in this one instance. If this 11 year old girl is having sex, much less with a 17 year old, there is something very wrong in her house. Most of the 11 year olds I know play with their friends, not screw them, but clearly this kid is older than her years. I wonder why.

14. Norah says:

15. Baklava says:

No personal responsibility for your daughter Norah? I’d love to have been your child…

16. PCD says:

Norah, are you trying to qualify for being a by definition “Feminazi”? Just because you MAY be able to name one bad parent doesn’t mean ALL parents are not to be trusted. Maybe you can’t raise your kids and need daycare, psychologists, and the full nanny state tor raise your kids, but you are a minority, not the majority by far.

17. tommy in nyc says:

WHOOOOOOAAAAAAA…………….. If my 11 year old niece was knocking boots with some dude who’s 17 I kick the boy’s ass. That being said ST are you pro-choice????? I would hope so!!!!! ….. If an 11year old girl doesn’t want to become a MOMMY at 11 years old it’s her decision not her parents.

18. Baklava says:

Tommy, tommy, tommy wrote, “If my 11 year old niece was knocking boots with some dude who’s 17 I kick the boy’s ass.

The issue was that the boy raped the daughter and Planned Parenthood didn’t let the parents know. HOW Tommy were the parents to take the law in their own hands and “kick the boy’s a**” when they didn’t even know the boy raped thier daughter.

The issue here is not whether the 11 year old wanted to become a mommy but whether or not PP should’ve told the parents.

It is policy if a child is suspected by any authority to be a victim of child abuse by their parents that the authority calls CPS but yet a crime like Rape and it can’t be a return service to the parents (as opposed to CPS for the abuse)

Get back on track Tommy. This is English 101!! Reading Comprehension is doable.

19. Baklava says:

No personal responisbility Tommy in understanding what was written before you post?

20. Norah, if you want to have a discussion, let’s have it. If you want to have an attitude, you can take it somewhere else. I don’t appreciate your tone with me. We can talk about this like adults or one of us can while the other watches. Got it? So can the “medal” BS because I could have easily turned that around on you and asked you the same thing. Let’s be adults, and mature about this, and get rid of the “you need to be educated” stuff … it’s insulting.

Norah: “If this 11 year old girl is having sex, much less with a 17 year old, there is something very wrong in her house. Most of the 11 year olds I know play with their friends, not screw them, but clearly this kid is older than her years. I wonder why.”

ST: Let me repeat my request for you to read what I wrote earlier to Red Tory where I posted situations where this could happen even in a household with responsible parents. Somehow I guess you missed that in your quest to give me attitude? Here it is again:

“young people do things behind their parents backs all the time. What if this was a 17 year old ‘friend of the family’? Or in other cases, it could have been a 14 or 13 year old that raped an 11 year old. Parents cannot watch their children 24-7. There are things like sleepovers, camp, field trips, trips to the mall with friends, etc where parents aren’t always around and things happen. These parents have a RIGHT to know, just as you would if something had happened to one of your children.”

Even the best parents cannot watch their children 24-7. Are we clear on that now?

Norah: “And excuse me, where does it say that PP didn’t report the rape? It just says her parents weren’t notified. As usual ST, mealy mouthed platitudes with little to no practical back-up. I don’t know why I’m disappointed. ”

(emphasis added)

Planned Parethood helped me deal with the aftermath of the rape allowing me to deal and cope as best as I could in my own way.”

As we know, her own way was not to tell her parents. PP let her deal with the aftermath of the rape “in her own way.” Planned Parenthood’s own site (as I quote) emphasizes lack of parental involvment and notifiation as essential. Planned Parenthood would not report the rape of an 11 y/o if the 11 y/o didn’t want her parents to know because if they did, at some point the child’s parents would have to be involved.

As usual, instead of actually READING what was written, Norah, you jump to conclusions and go on an ad hominem attack against ME, and make yourself look foolish in the aftermath. Get back to me when you’re ready to actually give comprehending what you read a try. Then maybe what you write won’t be disappointing to most of the rest of us.

Norah: “And allow me to add, if it were my 11 year old in this situation, I have failed miserably in my duty as a parent. And I have nobody to blame but myself. ”

ST: If it were your 11 y/o in the situation and she went to PP, it’s likely you wouldn’t even know in order to find out where you’d failed in your responsiblities. That is the whole point in this discussion, Norah, which you have completely ignored.

21. Dana R. Pico says:

I have to wonder how the good liberals at Planned Parenthood sleep at night. By their actions, they not only let a child rapist go free, but they left him out there, able to prey on other eleven year old girls. How many others were raped, because Planned Parenthood thought themselves to be above the law?

The fact is that, if the story is true (and the possibility exists that it is not), every single person involved in Planned Parenthood’s actions in keeping this quiet needs to be thrown in jail.

22. Dana R. Pico says:

Sis wrote:

Signed, a father.

23. Pam says:

Comment by Norah @ 12/19/2005 – 1:49 pm

How odd Norah. I just had another liberal(attorney) tell me this: Kids have rights too, IJS. And the right to know what’s up with your kids is a property right, not a privacy/civil rights issue, except to the kid’s rights who have been (rightly or wrongly) forgotten. Don’t confuse the two. Is that how you feel? Could it be that the parents had no idea about the 17 year old? Could it be that the ‘byfriend’ was just a situation where the kid got used and she may have been ashamed of herself? All of that doesn’t matter, what matters is a surgery was performed on that kid that her parents had no knowlege of. The parents have the right to know what happens (good, bad or indifferent) in their kids life. Now had she been in a car accident and was rushed to the hospital, they needed to set a broken bone…well guess what, until her parent got there to sign the conent form, the hospital would not have been legally allowed to touch the kid. Yet somehow abortion is different. Why? Did it ever occur to you that we are talking about an 11 year old child?

24. Dana: “Uhhh, why wouldn’t you know? Yeah, Planned Parenthood wouldn’t tell you, but if you don’t know what your kids are doing, you ain’t much of a parent.”

ST: That’s not necessarily so. You can do everything right by your child and something like this still happen. Here’s a repost of my earlier comments to Red Tory:

“young people do things behind their parents backs all the time. What if this was a 17 year old ‘friend of the family’? Or in other cases, it could have been a 14 or 13 year old that raped an 11 year old. Parents cannot watch their children 24-7. There are things like sleepovers, camp, field trips, trips to the mall with friends, etc where parents aren’t always around and things happen.”

And some children might be afraid of disappointing their parents and never say a word. Kids smoke behind their parents back, for example, and it can be some time before the parents know because the kids can get cigarettes from their friends. Even the perfect parent does not know everything their child is doing, nor does their child want them to. That doesn’t make that parent a bad parent at all. Are you essentially saying that if a parent didn’t know their child was smoking for a year at school behind their back that they’re a bad parent? If so, I totally disagree. My sister smoked for a few months when she was around 15 and she did it at school, mostly. My parents found out about it and told her that if she was going to smoke, that she needed to do it around them, that she was not going to do it behind their backs. At that point, the ‘thrill’ of doing something behind their backs (aka “being rebellious”) was gone once they found out and told her that, so she stopped doing it. There is no way for a parent to know everything their child is doing because they simply will not tell them. It’d be nice if they did, but they don’t. There are things we ALL did when we were younger that our parents likely still don’t know about. Does that make the parents bad parents? Not in my opinion. It’s one thing when there are parents who obviously don’t take any interest in what their child is doing. I know there are parents like that. But most parents are not like that, and do everything they can to watch over their child, and things will still happen that they don’t know about.

Dana: “Parents are perfectly willing to blame everybody else when something goes wrong, but, in the end, it is always the parent’s responsibility.”

ST: I agree, and most parents would want to know about something like this happening to their child so they could take the responsibility and deal with what happened, but as you and I both know, Planned Parenthood does not agree that it’s the parent’s responsibility. And that’s where the problem is.