The MTV Music Awards once again becomes a political stumping ground

Posted by: ST on September 1, 2006 at 9:39 am

Ok, so I know that we’re talking about the hard-to-take-seriously MTV here, but still … did you hear about last night’s award show, where Al Gore appeared on stage and talked about –global warming?

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, since the MTV crowd has long been a target of the Gore/Clinton types, but at the Music Awards? Did Gore sing about global warming? Perhaps promo a new global warming music video? Yes, I know – the very thought of either of those is enough to make one want to head for the hills and hide, but I guess I’m just trying to figure out how a visit by Gore fit in with the dancing, singing, bumping, and grinding that usually goes on at the MTV Music Awards.

In 2004, John Kerry’s daughters appeared on the show and were booed. I guess the MTV crowd didn’t appreciate their night of music and fun being interupted by a political speech, even if it was from two people who were much more personable than John Kerry himself. I wonder what the reaction to Gore was last night. Anyone watch?

9 Responses to “The MTV Music Awards once again becomes a political stumping ground”

Comments

1. Dana says:

Dearest Sis, one hopes you didn’t really spend an inordinate amount of time (which, in this case, would be 44 seconds) watching the awards on MTV.

Besides, you’re a Southern girl! You should be watching CMT, not MTV!

2. ;) I didn’t watch – just saw the pic at Yahoo News this morning and thought “WTH”?

3. G Monster says:

I was in Brazil before the last iraq war, and mtv in brazil was all over bush making him look bad. mtv was also making our country look bad. luckily only a minority of thier people buy into the mtv bullshit, but the small minority did try to make my trip unpleasant. don’t these people at mtv get it? they are the ones making it hard to travel.

4. G Monster says:

luckily, it is impossible to have a bad time in brazil. :)

screw off mtv. when i win an emmy or an oscar or an mtv award, i will put it right next to my plaque for bicycle safety i got when i was a kid.

I’m still trying to figure out what happened to the ice age we were suppose to have in 50,000 years. In 25 years we were able to turn the natural happenstance of an ice age to global warming. Now I just have to ask, why do I have all this anti pollution garbage on my car if it isn’t going to matter any??

Also, Once Al Gore and fellow travelers get rid of all of our cars, then what next??? I bet they will go after our back yard grills. They are horrible polluter. They can have my Weber grill once they pry it from my cold dead hands. =))

You know 9/11 proved what was causing our global warming problems. According to studies I have seen, air tempertures above the United States dropped from the lack of air travel. So is Al giving up his private jet for the cause??? HA!!!! You know that thought hasn’t even entered his Jimmy Carter peanut brain. – Lorica

6. benning says:

Lorica: I posted on the Global Warming silliness after watching the 20/20 special Wednesday evening. Two hours capped with a long, Al Gore-studded :-&, end-segment about Global Warming. Typical fact-free media extravaganza!

**==

7. Tom TB says:

If I had all the fossil fuels that that Al Gore has burned traveling the planet to spread his “Message”; I’d be set for life! I’ll believe him when I see him in a rickshaw with Tipper and children pulling it!

8. Adam says:

I didn’t watch it. Matter of fact, for the last several years, the only MTV show I’ve watched was the MTV Movie Awards. Admittedly, I did watch a little of last year’s VMA’s, but that was just because I wanted to see the appearances by Beavis and Butt- Head, which I had heard were pretty funny (And they were), but that was it, and I wouldn’t even consider watching this year’s VMA’s even though I like Jack Black. After MTV canceled all the cool animated shows (Thoguh I hear MTV2 has brought back “Celebrity Deathmatch”), I stopped watching it, since it now seems to be nothing more than a bunch of asinine reality shows, either reruns of “The Real World/ Road Rules,” or whatever lame celebrity reality show is popular at the time. In the words of Butt- Head, “Uh huh huh, MTV sucks.”

I have not watched anything on MTV for many years. Actually for decades. I do not see where they add any value to my life. They are mostly about rebellion, and I don’t need or desire such foolishness. For they, who are in rebellion, to tell me what they think as fact is ridiculous, and makes little sense to listen to it. – Lorica