Carolina Panthers at the New Orleans Saints

Posted by: ST on December 31, 2006 at 11:59 am

In addition to a win over the Saints today, we needed a Giants loss yesterday and a Packers loss tonight against Chicago to make it into the playoffs. Well, today’s game is now meaningless for the Panthers as the Giants beat Washington yesterday.

Speaking of Green Bay, they still have a very slim chance of making the playoffs. Here’s the playoff scenario for GB:

The Packers (7-8) are one of five teams tied for the final playoff spot and could know their fate even before kickoff depending on what happens in games involving the New York Giants on Saturday, and Carolina, Atlanta and St. Louis earlier on Sunday.

If New York loses, then the Packers would need a win, coupled with either a Rams loss, Panthers win or Falcons win to reach the postseason.

If New York wins, Green Bay could remain mathematically alive to win a strength of victory tiebreaker with the Giants, but would need an elaborate, unlikely combination of results from around the league to make that happen.

If they don’t make it into the playoffs, I wonder if this will be the last game Bret Favre plays?

Update: The Cats make it a .500 season with a 31-21 win over the Saints. Mwalimu’s Cowboys lost to the Lions 39-31.

10 Responses to “Carolina Panthers at the New Orleans Saints”

Comments

1. NC Cop says:

Sadly enough, as a Giants fan, I was hoping the Giants would lose. They do not deserve to be in the playoffs as bad as they have played and I have a feeling they are going to get slaughtered like last year in the playoffs. Only this time it will be at the hands of the Eagles or the Cowboys. :((

Of course the Panthers don’t seem to be playing much better, but I still think they stand a much better chance at not getting embarassed in the playoffs.

Oh well………………

2. Mwalimu Daudi says:

The Cowbags are stinking it up in Dallas today. Against a 2-13 team.

NC Cop – these days Dallas could not beat a flag-football team. Believe it or not, the G-men can lick Dallas. NY can’t beat anyone else in the playoffs, but Dallas is a gimmie on anyone’s schedule.

Sorry to hear about your panthers Dear. I hope they do better next year. As for Brett Farve, there are alot of long time GB fans that are ready to see him go. I do hope the Bears beat them today, but shhhhh don’t say anything. :D – Lorica

4. Jeff Harvey says:

I don’t know, Lorica, whether the Packers fas should be that anxious to let Farve go. Considering the quarterback roulette that Detroit and Chicago have gone through (with all apologies to Jim McMahon, the latter haven’t had a great QB since Sid Luckman), the Packers have been fortunate, Hamlet tendencies or not, to have BF for 15 years.

5. Dana says:

And my Oakland Raiders won — won the first choice in the next NFL draft, that is.

I’ll be rooting for the Giants against the hated Philthydelphia Eagles.

6. Mwalimu Daudi says:

You are fortunate ST – your Cats are out of it. For my Cowbags the agony continues for another week. :((

Next Saturday: Seattle 45, Dallas 7
    Next Sunday: NY Giants 26, Iggles 23 (no typos here)

7. chris says:

Tell me about it Dana. My Lions are such losers they can’t even lose right. I hate Dallas, but was rooting for them today. What kind of crud team fails to beat a 2-13 team at home when there is so much riding on the game? They blow chunks.

Mwalimu, I concur with your projections. I think it will be Chicago to go against New England in the big game.

Cheers everyone

8. PCD says:

I enjoyed the game last night. Although I think Brett was saying goodbye to his teammates and to the game.

My wife want’s to see him retire. I don’t, but that’s life.

9. Dana says:

Chris: Chicago vs Baltimore in the Super Bowl. The Patriots would be my second choice in the AFC, but I don’t think anybody, even San Diego and Ladanian (sp?) Tomlinson can beat the Ravens’ defense.

10. tommy in nyc says:

GO Giants folks shoot we get to start off against the sparrows in Philly. The season is 0-0 as far as I’m concerned.