Fidel Castro’s surgery botched?

Posted by: ST on January 17, 2007 at 9:32 am

I’m sure most of us have had the unpleasant experience of talking with far leftist Castro supporters, who talk up the many supposed ‘qualities’ of the ‘leader’ of Cuba. Among what’s supposed to be so great about Cuba is their ‘public healthcare system.’ I’ve argued with the people who tout Cuba as a ‘shining’ example of their ideals that it didn’t matter if the healthcare in Cuba was second to none (it’s not, of course), that ‘great healthcare’ didn’t take away from the fact that Cuba is a Communist state known for its rampant human rights abuses as well as their routine suppression of free speech, often at the expense of jailing dissidents. Afterall, that’s why so many risk their lives in manmade rafts just to get to the US.

Well, the Commie lovers who talked up Cuba’s healthcare system in glowing terms won’t be pleased to read this about Castro nor the medical treatment he received for intestinal illness, treatment which appears to have made his condition worse:

MIAMI (Reuters) – Cuban leader Fidel Castro has long prided himself on Cuba’s doctors and free public health care system, but that system seems to have let him down after he fell ill in July , U.S.-based doctors said on Tuesday.

Based on a report in Tuesday’s edition of Spain’s El Pais newspaper, the doctors — who have no first-hand knowledge of Castro’s condition — said Castro had received questionable or even botched care at the hands of health experts on his communist-ruled island.

“It’s not a good story. Too bad they didn’t send him to Miami for surgery,” said Dr. Charles Gerson, a clinical professor of medicine in the gastroenterology division of New York’s Mt. Sinai School of Medicine.

Not that he’d be welcomed in the US anyway by anyone other than extremists on the left, but even if the US did welcome him, I don’t think Miami would be so accommodating.

In any event, it should be humorous to see what the ‘pro Castro’ crowd has to say about his ‘world class’ healthcare which has apparently only made him sicker.

Prior:

16 Responses to “Fidel Castro’s surgery botched?”

Comments

1. Tom TB says:

Dictators are micromanagers, telling everyone in their captive audience how to grow more crops, fix machinery, deal with the rest of the planet, blah,blah,blah. Fidel used to give 4-5-6 hour speeches about things he knew nothing about; he most likely ordered the surgeons to operate the way he told them to. May he meet his Marxist-maker, and may there be a Free and Democratic Cuba!

2. sanity says:

I may be mistaken, but I thought they flew in a doctor from Spain to treat Castro?

That, I believe, would not be considered part of their healthcare….

Besides, I am sure they would have a similiar setup for top oficials that the “normal” peons like the rest of the populace would have.

Just like I am sure the heathcare for “normal” americans are alot different then say…Ted Kennedy’s, or John Kerrys.

3. sanity says:

Meant to say:

Besides, I am sure they would have a similiar setup for top officials that the “normal” peons like the rest of the populace would NOT have.

4. Kevin says:

Sure, they may have botched the surgery, but it was free!

5. PCD says:

Just for the libs who dare defend the Cuban Healthcare model, IF they were so good, why did they need to fly in a specialist from Spain?

Now, 3 surgeries??? They really F***ed up Fidel royally!. I had my entire colon removed and the small intestine rerouted to my rectum in ONE operation with no problems.

I can understand Fidel rejecting a colostomy. I did the same when presented with the same choice.

6. Tom TB says:

PCD, you had free informed choice with your medical options, but your Doctors weren’t facing execution if they declined the procedure!

7. Great White Rat says:

Sure, they may have botched the surgery, but it was free!

Welcome to a free preview of HillaryCare, now showing just 90 miles away. :)

8. McGehee says:

The Spanish doctor was flown in fairly recently — the original surgery and subsequent care were all at the hands of Cuban doctors.

9. Steve Skubinna says:

Fidel is rapidly approaching Generalissimo Francisco Franco status. We need Chevy Chase to give periodic updates on his situation.

Either that, or Castro has slipped into Monty Python territory: “I’m not dead yet!”

10. Severian says:

Said Cuban doctors are now undoubtedly continuing to provide a valuable service to the Cuban medical community in their new positions as cadavers at the local medical school…:-"

11. I am still perplexed at the people in the United States that think everything should be paid for by someone else. Who is “someone else”? FREE medical advice? Hell I can do that. But surgery and opthalmic procedures I just have to draw the line. The medical profession (like the legal profession) use the term “practicing medicine (or law). I was a fireman. I didn’t have the time to practice, I had to do!
    The aforementioned professions have their good guys and their bad guys. In Castro’s case I think that the doctors who worked on him were good guys for being unsuccessful (or were they?)
    Don

12. Kevin says:

No way Don. The world owes us! I’m working on a bill now that will give every American an mp3 player. It’s a right, not a privilege. Also, we should all get free ponies.

13. Tom TB says:

Two quotes from Fidel; “Socialism or Death!” and “Revolution is like riding a bicycle; if you stop pedalling, you fall over.”

14. PCD says:

TomTB, No I paid for the advice, the procedure, and the operation. I had to change doctors though. The first one said she talked a woman into the colostomy and that woman wears a bikini to the beach, or did. This was back in 1987. I would tend to think her bikini days are over with or without the colostomy bag.

15. Tom TB says:

PCD, I meant free information, in Cuba it’s illegal to have an internet hook-up at your home; you have to go to a public center to log-in, then Big Brother is watching!

16. PCD says:

Tom TB, I got my information from the Dr’s mouth. This was 1987, and the internet wasn’t as open or mature medical information wise.