Uncompromising positions

Posted by: ST on January 18, 2007 at 10:57 am

With politicians announcing almost daily now that they intend to run for President, I thought now would be a good time to talk about issues you wouldn’t compromise on, because there are some candidates on the Republican side – like Rudy Giuliani, for example – who are polling well but who differ sharply with conservatives on certain issues like abortion, gay marriage, etc.

We know there’s no such thing as the ‘perfect candidate’ and no matter who we end up choosing, there are going to be positions that candidate holds that we don’t like but who we would be ‘ok’ with overall when voting for president. However, is there any candidate who holds a stance on an issue so important to you that you wouldn’t be comfortable pulling the lever for him (or her?) in 2008? Please name the candidate(s) and the issue(s).

Here’s a list of Republicans who have thrown their hat in the ring (sorry – I don’t like using Wiki, but right now it’s the only source I could find with what looks like a complete list).

I’ll step up first and say that if Rudy Giuliani won the Republican nomination for president, I would abstain from voting for president in 2008, because Rudy supports partial birth abortion. This is an issue that is deeply important to me. He’s been a stand up guy in a post 9-11 world, but I couldn’t in good conscience vote for someone who supports PBA.

Your turn.

Update: Speaking of ’08 potentials, the Boston Herald reports that Senator John McCain is not as popular in New Hampshire as he once was.

13 Responses to “Uncompromising positions”

Comments

1. PCD says:

I have many absolutes. No gun control. No PBA. No new taxes or “fee increases”. No public funding of liberal causes. No public funding of politicians. No Monicas. AND NO McCAIN or HAGEL!

2. Joe M says:

Wake up about Rudy. He was elected mayor as a republican in a city of 8 million, with 80 per cent being democrats. If he did not support certain liberal social stances he would not have won, and New York would have continued its steady decline into muck. He is the republican who can beat the dems in 2008 BECAUSE OF HIS BALANCE. He is not a liberal by any means – – he is a master at dealing with people. I believe that he will make amends with the conservatives in the GOP and negotiate a deal on certain issues, among them PBA.

3. jeff says:

I’m right there with you on Rudy. I like the guy, but can’t support anybody who supports PBA (or any form of abortion really).

I also think that Rudy was the “right man at the right place, at the right time.” He was America’s mayor and for him to jeopardize his legacy (if that’s what we should call it) that seems foolish to me…

4. Great White Rat says:

If anyone were to ask me for “the hill I want to die on”, it would be national security. That overrides everything else, including PBA, as much as I agree with ST and jeff. Any candidate that will not aggressively prosecute the WOT on any and all fronts is a non-starter. So Hagel’s definitely out. That’s my one uncompromising position.

Fortunately, almost any Republican is bound to be better than the Dem candidate on that front, unless the Dems have a seizure and nominate someone like Joe Lieberman or Zell Miller.

5. Joe M says:

Rudy was not “in the right place at the right time”. He was an incredible get-it-doner and he turned New York around prior to 9-11. I have this to say to you all about Rudy. If you dont want Hillary to take over the helm of this country, you better vote for Rudy. I too, am against partial birth abortion, and most abortions for that matter…but our current constitution is what it is. lets not make things worse by putting that witch in office. McCain, Romney, Hunter, Tancredo, Huckabee…they all would lose to her.

6. Joe M says:

One jet passenger never will forget the evening of March 9, 2005. He remembers flying with Rudolph William Giuliani from Dallas, where “America’s Mayor” earlier that day had delivered a motivational address to 10,000 people. En route to New York City, Giuliani perused a volume of Elizabethan literature he had purchased for his daughter, Caroline.

Miles above Pennsylvania, an aircraft door-seal suddenly cracked. The cabin started to depressurize. The pilot nose-dived the plane from 38,000 feet to a safer 9,000 feet. Oxygen masks popped out and dangled from the ceiling above the heads of horrified travelers.

One of them sounded rattled even a few days later, while recalling the incident. What did Giuliani do? “He put his mask over his face, picked the book back up, and kept reading Shakespeare.”

Such steadfastness may be what Americans find most appealing about Rudy Giuliani.

7. David Smith says:

Rudy Giuliani is a mainstream principled Republican who will be an excellent chief executive and commander in chief.

Let the debate begin……

8. Marshall Art says:

Sorry Dave, I don’t believe pro-choice is part of a “mainstream” Republican’s platform. I could be wrong.

The only true absolute, unchangable, nondebatable issue for me right now is———NO DEMS!!!! I am against abortion except to save the life of the mother. I am against gay marriage. These two would be the top issues were it not for the WOT. If Rudy were the man, I’d bite the bullet and vote for him rather than any of the extremely bad-for-the-nation choices put forth by the Democratic Party. If not for the WOT, I might sit it out.

9. Chris says:

Joe and Dave are correct. Rudy is my first choice of the big names and I am anti abortion just like most here. I would rather have Tancredo or Romney, but I don’t think I could ever pull the lever for John “Kill the first ammendment” McCain.

A couple things to consider on Rudy.

First Rudy has said he would appoint strict constructionalists to the court. He said that in an interview on the O’Reilly Factor. He said that to appoint liberals to the court will kill our war on terror.

Bush has a good chance at appointing one, maybe two more justices. If he does, abortion becomes a non issue. Roe v. Wade will fall (as it should) and the states will decide their laws (as they should).

Gay marriage is a states rights issue. Plain and simple. The feds should have nothing to say on it. We can’t pick and choose our government interference. I don’t care that he was in a couple parades as mayor. Let the states decide the worthless social issues like that one. I want my president to kill terrorists.

He has said that the first thing he would do on immigration is to seal the border. His opinion is to decide what to do with them after the border is sealed. That right there is already better than Bush, who has allowed two valiant agents to go to jail for doing their job while a drug dealing illegal gets amnesty, immunity and 5 million dollars. Not that it matters, Bush and the Dems will shove amnesty through.

When asked about Bush’s tax cuts his statement was make them all permanent. Including the capital gains cuts and the top bracket cuts.

I guess my thinking is the man cleaned up New York. The city that either mayor Koch or Dinkins said was unmanagable. You can’t clean up New York by being a bleeding heart. He led the nation almost as much as Bush did after 9/11. He has had to deal with the UN and the various ambassadors. In short, he’s already had to do a lot of the things a president does. I think he would make a great president.

10. jim says:

why does everyone care about rudy and pba? by the end of June, the SC will have upheld the PBA ban and it won’t matter what Rudy thinks about PBA, it’ll be banned nationwide.

Unless you think that after winning the GOP nomination, winning the general, and presumably wanting to get reelected Rudy will make it a point to push for repeal of the PBA act or would sign a law doing so.

Rudy is a smart guy and he knows where his bread is buttered. If a dem congress in 2009 passed a repeal of the PBA act and Rudy signed it, he’d be the dumbest politician in US history. And he’s not that.

So, once the SC comes down with the ruling in June, Rudy’s views on PBA become irrelevant. He’ll say that the SC has spoken and that he respects the law and will uphold it. And that will be that.

11. stoo says:

why does everyone care about rudy and pba?”

Because partial birth abortion is murder, and to be ok with it displays a fundamental lack of judgement — which should preclude holding the most powerful office on this planet.

12. David Smith says:

I am glad to see there is some common sense among republicans on this blog. Rudy’s positions on abortion and gay marraige not only are not what matters, but also would work well in a general campaign – – he’ll take the issues right out of the mouth of Hillary and the democrats

“David” or “Joe M.” – please do not post here under multiple nicknames. We get the idea that you support Rudy. No need to log in as two different “people” to prove it. –ST

13. David Smith says:

well, I had multiple opinions…didnt want to be a blabbermouth,,,but,,,you dont have to be so rude. Promise I wont even look at your blog anymore…. and now that other people know youre a nasty _itch, maybe others wont either.

Great! Adios, jerk. –ST