Next time, Don Imus should just use the “artistic expression” excuse

Posted by: ST on April 10, 2007 at 3:56 pm

I don’t have any particularly strong opinions about Don Imus one way or the other, other than thinking he’s always been overrated.

But now with the controversy swirling over the racially offensive comments he made about the women’s college basketball team at Rutgers, with lifetime racists Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, of all a people not accepting the two week suspension levelled on Imus by CBS and MSNBC and instead calling for Imus to be fired, I just find it interesting that Imus’ comments can generate this much controversy and outrage and calls for his firing, yet such incendiary commentary coming from rappers black AND white in the form of ‘song lyrics’ fly to the top of music sales lists, garner Grammy nominations, and in some cases win Grammy awards?

If Imus is looking for work after all is said and done, perhaps he has a career waiting for him in rap music, where it’s ‘acceptable’ and ‘laudable’ for people to say things like Imus said – they just say it much, much worse, and instead of blanket condemnations from everyone, calls for meetings and healing, etc, from the perpetually outraged, some of those same rappers win award after award, and high praise all over the place from ‘artistic’ and ‘hood’ circles.

I also see that some of the usual suspects are lined up in the leftosphere to condemn Imus’ remarks and to throw in their .02 that they believe that because of the ‘hateful nature’ of his remarks that he should be let go. These are some of the same people who, BTW, defended the two potty-mouthed bloggers who Dem presidential hopeful John Edwards hired to handle ‘new media’ (that’s code for: blogosphere) for his campaign. These two bloggers, I should note, could have given some of the rappers who’ve won Grammy awards a run for their money with some of their more hate-filled rants, yet the Nutroots to this day are still defending them. Then again, as we’re all aware of at this point, the leftosphere isnt exactly well known for their ability to stay consistent.

Anyway, after all is said and done, whatever happens to Imus happens. I was ok with the initial apology he made on his show but the overkill, especially when he appeared on Sharpton’s show and got a lecture from one of America’s biggest race-baiters as though he’s a moral authority on the issue, is just that: way too much. How much will be enough? George Allen is no longer a Senator because of an alleged racist remark made last summer, others in broadcasting have lost their jobs over racial comments as well (which Captain Ed notes here), yet the real race pimps like Sharpton and Jackson keep on keepin’ on, and many rap ‘artists’ continue to denigrate black women, the police, and authority in general, all in the name of ‘artistic expression & freedom’ and it’s ok.

All in all, I’m really just marvelling once again at the double standards at play when it comes to issues of a racial nature, from the mediots, the usual suspects, and the ‘black community.’ Same stuff, different day.

Related: Michelle Malkin posts ten things more newsworthy than Don Imus.

Wed AM Update: Check out Malkin’s latest column, which echoes the sentiments expressed in this post.

• Flopping Aces trackbacked with Who Will Forgive Imus?
  • geosciblog trackbacked with Again the Libs Attack the Easiest Target
  • The Sandbox trackbacked with MSNBC Fired Imus
  • 18 Responses to “Next time, Don Imus should just use the “artistic expression” excuse”

Comments

1. ChefJeff says:

My personal opinion is that he should have apologized on his own show. That’s it…nothing else. I think that he made a very bad mistake going on the Rev. Al “Race Baiter” Sharpton’s show…that just fed the fire. I don’t watch Imus anymore but his comments were meant as a feeble attempt at Imus humor.

2. CZ says:

Imus is and always was a creep. Boring, not funny and a hokey cowboy wannabe.

He made this bed, he can sleep in it. He should just go away.

Not surprisingly, Rush nailed him and NBC today for exactly what they are.

Hey, ST. Can we get a Sharpton icon? Oh…wait….I see it….here…:@)

3. stoo says:

Where was Sharpton when this was on TV?

4. Great White Rat says:

There was a time when Imus was actually entertaining and somewhat relevant. I remember when the Soviets shot down the Korean airliner that strayed too close to their airspace a couple of decades ago. Imus’ response was to go to the UN and personally take down the Soviet flag that flew in front of it in protest.

Following that, though, he took a sharp turn left, cooing with the likes of Bill Bradley, Chris Dodd, Bill Clinton, John Kerry, and their MSM stooges like David Gregory and Mike Barnicle. I changed the dial about a dozen years ago and never went back.

That said, the hypocrisy here is huge, if not particularly surprising. As ST points out, you don’t see the Sharptons or Jacksons or other race hustlers going bananas over rap song lyrics that make Imus’ remarks look tame. In fact, if I recall correctly, some of the labels that market this trash are owned by the same corporation that’s now suspending Imus. Wonder if they’ll apply the same standard there in the future….yeah, riiiight.

5. Tom TB says:

Who ever elected Al Sharpton?

6. Stacy says:

I also found it incredibly distasteful when, because so many people just turn off when they hear Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson throw out “racism” left and right…they have to now use the term “sexism”.

Can’t get enough impact with the race card anymore, so let’s brand Don Imus’s comments as sexist, too. Which, I suppose they were, but I hear people say blatantly sexist things about women all the time…literally. No one’s hollering for their resignations.

I post so little about this sort of insanity anymore, but I felt compelled to yesterday.

7. Leslie says:

Cheers to the 10 players on the RU basketball team, who’ve proved themselves to be articulate and graceful.

“I’m not a ho, I’m a woman. I’m someone’s child. It hurts a lot.” – Center Kia Vaughn

“Our moment was taken away, our moment to celebrate our success, our moment to realize how far we’d come on and off the court as young women; we were stripped of this moment by a degrading comment made by Mr. Imus.” – Forward Heather Zurich

Kinda of puts everything in perspective. Forget about Imus. I don’t care what happens to him, but I’m not going to listen to him ever again. Forget about Sharpton. I’ve never listened to him and I’m not starting now.

Instead: Look at these women, and how their dream season was snatched from them not by
      the superior Tennesee team, but by this ugly incident.

:-w

8. mahwah says:

Don Imus is a fool, as evidenced by his longevity in the ‘shock jock’ arena. That being said, I don’t empathize with the sentiment expressed by women of the Rutgers basketball team in regards to Imus’ statements. They had a tremendous season, and should be proud of it and celebrate that accomplishment for as long as they wish to. To feel that that was somehow ‘taken away’ by the stupid ramblings of a nobody only shows that they have not been empowered as persons to withstand the ugly side of the world. I, for one, teach my 11 year old daughter that she is – first and foremost – a valuable person, and that some people can and will try to diminish her throughout her life, and that only by allowing those people to have power over her can they succeed.

It seems to me these women need some off-court counseling and personal growth seminars to toughen them up and help them to stop feeling like victims. I think the best response that any of the team members could have give to the press and their questions would have been, ” Don Imus – who?”.

I’m guessing though, that there may be more members on the team that could care less about what Imus said, than the news media will portray. It’s much better news to portray victimhood than strength. Too bad. Again, congrats to the team.

9. Great White Rat says:

Full disclosure: I earned all of my degrees at Rutgers.

To get on to the Piscataway campus, where the basketball arena is located, you need to take one of two main roads running off NJ Route 18. One of the roads is Metlars Lane.

The other one (I kid you not) is named Hoes Lane.

Maybe Imus can backtrack and claim he was just making a bad joke about the local roads. Hey, John Kerry would give that kind of approach a try, no? :)

10. Uncle Ruckus says:

A few things I have never understood why is it when a person says something ignorant and racist they run to Rev Al and Jesse. This just in they have no credibility in the black community they have been considered for a long time race baiting front runners. But people always run to them to apologize to us poor black folks. Stop enabling them and they may go away they only speak for themselves and a small minority of blacks.

Can anyone point to where the responsible leaders in the black community have not rallied against the negative lyrics of some raps songs? Just a side not the largest consumer of rap is suburban white teenagers. But lets not let facts form our opinions just let opinions do it.

11. Bruce says:

So here goes…First while I am not a big fan of Al Sharpton….He has publicly gone after Rap musicians on numerous occasions about their lyrics ….but let’s face it the Rap artist employers, the large record companies are not going to fire them because they don’t depend on endorsements/sponsors. They make their money on record sales (which by the way are to mostly young white kids but that is another discussion in itself). And as long as the sales are up then Rap artist will be able to say what they want and they will be backed by the record companies until you can hit them in the pocket book, as in what is happening now with the sponsors pulling out on Imus and the television stations. I am just stating the facts money will cause people to do things that in the end are degrading.

As to the double standard “we can say it but you can’t”…Yes it does exist..I am not defending it but let me give you an analogy because I think we all do this to a certain extent. I had a friend who live next door…he was a chubby kid so he got the nickname Gordo..which in Spanish means fat..now this nickname was given to him by his family and we all called him that. Being called fat in itself, is degrading but was ok coming from us (his family and close friends). If any one else outside of that family/friend circle called him fat we were all there to defend him. A lot of groups do the same thing. They have nicknames/sayings that outside of that family/racial group/club/group of friends, context comes across as degrading and hurtful. Again I am not defending it but it runs along the same lines “we can say it but you can’t”…I firmly believe Rap artist’s lyrics are degrading and they need to be stopped….but it won’t happen until the record buyers pull out just like the sponsors pulled out on Imus and the networks…And as for Imus he got what he deserved…..