Infighting going on between MSNBC’s hotshots

Posted by: ST on August 27, 2008 at 12:15 pm

The NY Post has a story today, complete with a photo of an irritated-looking Joe Scarborough, on how there is some internal brawling going on between MSNBC’s show hosts Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews, David Shuster, and Scarborough:

ANIMOSITY among MSNBC anchors has reached a mile-high peak at the Democratic National Convention in Denver, with on-air squabbling between such big egos as Joe Scarborough, Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews and David Shuster.

Scarborough, who served in Congress as a Republican representative from Florida, seems to be particularly touchy being the only host who isn’t openly pro-Democratic.

Yesterday, after Shuster referred to “your party, the Republican Party,” Scarborough went off, sparking a seven-minute exchange.

“I will let you know that ‘my party,’ my party loathes me much more than your party, the Democratic Party, loathes me,” Scarborough seethed. “What about your party? What’s your party, David Shuster? David, what’s your party?”

“I have no party. I’m a complete independent,” Shuster replied.

“Oh, I feel so comforted by the fact that you’re independent. I bet everyone at MSNBC has ‘independent’ on their voting cards,” said Scarborough.

Scarborough declined to talk to Page Six, but sources say he and NBC anchor Tom Brokaw disagree with MSNBC’s decision to position itself as the channel for George W. Bush-haters.

At a forum on Sunday, when Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell called MSNBC “the official network of the Obama campaign,” Brokaw said, “I think Keith has gone too far. I think Chris has gone too far.”

Insiders say Olbermann is pushing to have Brokaw banned from the network and is also refusing to have centrist Time magazine columnist Mike Murphy on his show.

Newsbusters has video and transcripts of the Scarborough/Shuster on-air confrontation, of Keith Olbermann’s ‘accidental open mic’ dissing of Joe Scarborough while Scarborough was commenting on the goings-on at the convention,  and of yesterday’s on-air face-off between Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews.

My only comment to add to this is: Considering MSNBC has made it very clear what audience they’re trying to cater to, does all this childish squabbling between their big-name hosts really surprise anyone?

7 Responses to “Infighting going on between MSNBC’s hotshots”

Comments

1. NC Cop says:

Way to go fellas! Nice to see there is some journalistic integrity left. Not a lot, but at least there is some. It’s refreshing to see that not every journalist has sold out every ounce of objectivity and turned into a complete a**hat.

To wit:

Thanks for proving my point, Keith. You are a prime example of everything wrong in our media.

2. yo says:

I’m beginning to dread what’s going to happen when rudy gives the keynote at the rnc. Can you imagine how the entire news world except fox is going to scream about rudy “cashing in once again” on 9-11? It is going to be so loud that literally nothing else will be heard.

Wake me up after it’s over.

3. benning says:

Sounds like they’re behaving like the perfect modern Democrats.:d

4. Trish says:

I am amazed that Keith Olbermann still has a job anywhere.

5. NC Cop says:

I am amazed that Keith Olbermann still has a job anywhere.

On the contrary, Olberman is the essence of the democrat/liberal movement today.

6. Severian says:

To hell with the job, I’m amazed the Olbernut still has any teeth.

7. Jeff Harvey says:

I still say that if you want KO to flip out on-air, you find some of the athletes he’s ripped on-air. He sees Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens, all of whom he’s advocated to be banned from Cooperstown, and he’ll dive off the stage.