Quote of the day

Posted by: ST on October 16, 2008 at 11:16 am

As transcribed by Jim Geraghty (emphasis added by me):

ABC’s Diane Sawyer: “Well I just want to ask you now about the issue that was raised because it’s been a little confusing to me as I tried to sort it out here. To get straight here, you’re not taking home $250,000 now, am I right?”

Joe Wurzelbacher: “No. No. Not even close.”

Sawyer: “And you were you asking — about the prospect, the hope that someday you would make $250,000, and you were saying you didn’t want that to be taxed?”

Wurzelbacher: “Well, exactly. Exactly. I mean not that I don’t want to be taxed. You have to be taxed. But to — just because you work a little harder to have a little bit more money taken from you, I mean, that’s scary. You know as opposed to other people. I worked hard for it. Why should I be taxed more than other people?”

Sawyer: “Well if people making $250,000 should not be taxed additionally — by the way, it’s 3% from 36% to 39% under Senator Obama’s plan. If those people should not be taxed additionally, even though they’re in the top 5% of America, what about people who make $1 million? Or $5 million?”

Wurzelbacher: “Well, I mean, quite honestly, why should they be penalized for being successful. I mean, that’s what you’re telling me. That’s what it sounds like you’re saying. That’s wrong. Because you’re successful, you have to pay more than everybody else? We all live in this country. It’s a basic right. And Obama wants to take that basic right and penalize me for it, is what it comes down to. That’s a very socialist view and it’s incredibly wrong. I mean, $250,000 now. What if he decides, well you know $150,000, you’re pretty rich too. Let’s go ahead and lower it again. You know it’s a slippery slope. When’s it going to stop?”

That’s the “Joe the Plumber,” who was mentioned 15 times last night at the debate, mostly by McCain, in an interview with Diane Sawyer on Good Morning America this morning. He is, contrary to earlier reports, actually registered to vote. I think “Joe the Plumber”‘s exchange with Obama has the ability to transform this election, if McCain continues to capitalize on it effectively like he did last night.

And as I noted in my prior post, the Obama campaign – specifically Joe Biden, is already going after Joe the Plumber this morning. Biden said on NBC this morning: “I don’t have any ‘Joe the Plumbers’ in my neighborhood that make $250,000 a year.” Then again, he also doesn’t know his own neighborhood very well, either (more here). Go figure. Then again, the fact that Joe W. doesn’t yet make $250K isn’t the point, as is explained in the Ankle Biting Pundits post, as well as Joe W. himself in his interview on GMA.

• Public Secrets trackbacked with Three points, nothing but net...
  • 10 Responses to “Quote of the day”

Comments

And that’s just it!!! George Bush Sr. said “read my lips, no NEW taxes!!!”. Bill Clinton said he would not raise taxes. Bill Clinton’s tax plan was the 1st time Senior’s had to pay a Federal Income tax on Social Security. GW is the only President since Reagan that has stuck to his tax plan, and look at our economy prior to the Democrat Congress. Things were going quite well. Then the Dems won in 2006 and all hell broke loose because of their do nothing policy. Now someone actually believes that Barry will only raise taxes on the “rich”??? HA!!! Don’t believe it, he is a liar and deceiver. – Lorica

Ohhhh also, I think we need a new tax on stupid TV personalities who are in the tank for a specific candidate. Perhaps 25 percent for wasting our time with their stupid questions and their partisan crappola. But Diane that’s only 25 percent, I know you can afford it. – Lorica

And you know, look at the beating Hillary took when she told the “rich” folk in San Fransisco that they were going to have to help tow their fair share. I remember well when she said that, the drive by media beat her down over that comment. Now all of a sudden it is as if that the Messiah himself has come to tell us we only need to pay 3 percent more. HAHAHAHA such stupidity. Come Lord Jesus Come, take me away from all of this. – Lorica

4. SpideyTerry says:

He is, contrary to earlier reports, actually registered to vote.

The question is, are all those people voting for Obama registered to vote?

Plumbers making lots of money? Why, you never see that. I mean, it’s such a limited venue because it’s not like a lot of people have in-door plumbing. What’s next, jobs not being a three letter word? ;)

Now someone actually believes that Barry will only raise taxes on the “rich”???

Even if he actually tried, he’d fail. I’m certain the rich would find all the loop holes necessary to make it look like the government owes them money instead.

5. Jeanie says:

I have a plan, and I think it might be a good one.

If all wealthy democrats are so on board with Obama’s tax plan….then let them pay it. I mean..it’s not like the dow keeps slipping, because they, like conservatives, are out there getting their money into lower, or tax free interest bearing accounts….say…in Switzerland?

So if you’re all for this, then go ahead, and pay it, and leave those that disagree with it….out of it. Come to think of it….if you were just paying what you absolutely needed to in taxes, weren’t itemizing, or finding loopholes…why didn’t they just say to the IRS…I think half my earnings towards taxes is fair, and hand it over. Better yet…with the millions Diane makes a year, she could set three people a year up in a home, and so could all those other wealthy in the tank for Obama journalists.

6. Lorica, Reagan raised taxes in 1983 and 1984, and while he was Governor of California. The difference is that he raised them for legitimate government needs, rather than the wide-scale income redistribution the Community Organizer in Chief has in mind.

Anthony most of those taxes that Reagan raised could be avoided. I was talking strictly income taxes. Reagan cut the rates of income taxes, and that was what I was speaking of. – Lorica

8. Jim Treacher says:

Diane Sawyer, who made $12 million last year, doesn’t think the plumber is paying enough taxes.

But don’t you dare call them elitists.

9. Oh, okay, Lorica. Now I see what you mean. :d