Ken “Cakewalk” Adelman endorses Barack Obama

Posted by: ST on October 20, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Republican Ken Adelman, one of the architects of the Iraq war who once infamously claimed that the war Iraq would be a “cakewalk” – and who is widely hated by the far left for his “neocon” creds (more on that here) – endorsed Barack Obama today. His reasons are cited here.

Oddly enough – or perhaps not – he ends his note by saying that he “hopes” Obama will not be as liberal as his record indicates he is, which is similar to what Christopher Buckley said in his endorsement of The One a few days ago. I guess HopeyChanginess is getting catchy inside the beltway, and perhaps beyond.

It’s been interesting to see the reax of the far left over the last few days to, first, Colin Powell’s endorsement of Barry Oh! and now Adelman’s. Both men have been vilified and ridiculed routinely by the anti-war crowd for their part in “Bush’s war” with Iraq. Now, however, The Usual Suspects are singing a far different tune. Surprise surprise.

Wonder if, like with Powell (h/t: ST reader GWR), there was a little back-scratching going on between Adelman and Obama? I can’t think of too many other reasons why a conservative Republican would endorse Obama, outside of not wanting to be left on what some conservatives are viewing as the sinking ship of the McCain campaign. You’ve got to love these “principled” conservatives/Republicans waiting until Obama started to look like a “sure thing” in the polls before they came out and endorsed him.

Furthermore, isn’t the lecturing we’re getting from certain conservative quarters lately (like from Peggy Noonan, among others) exactly what you’d expect to find from people who’ve forgotten what life outside of the beltway mentality is actually like? 8-| That’s not to say that there aren’t valid criticisms of the McCain-Palin campaign to be made (one such example can be read here), but I find the tone that many of these people are taking with their fellow conservatives to be condescending, arrogant, and dare I say out of touch? They need to save the “talking down to” for far left liberals who deserve it, and treat their audiences like adults.

Most of us share the same conservative values, even though we may disagree on what candidates best represent them. There’s no need for the upturned noses.

Update/Related: On Barack Obama and Colin Powell

• Why Obama Supporters Should Be Called “Number 2Â’s” trackbacked with Why Obama Supporters Should Be Called “Number 2Â’s”...
  • 14 Responses to “Ken “Cakewalk” Adelman endorses Barack Obama”

Comments

1. NC Cop says:

So Adelman would rather endorse the ticket that has a young inexperienced person as PRESIDENT, rather than, as he claims, Vice-president???

Perfect, genius. How did that “cakewalk” prediction go, guy?

Good riddance.

2. Bachbone says:

I hope someone is saving all these comments from the likes of Mr. Adelman, because I just don’t see how anyone with Obama’s background, past assocations, current advisors and known supporters, platform and slips of the tongue can be “hope[d]” to be less leftist than he has demonstrated, and told us to expect, he is. And I, for one, will then want to ask Mr. Adelman how he intends to undo the influence his endorsement had after Obama’s policies, aided and abetted by Pelosi and Reid, worsen most, if not every facet of American life within a year after he’s in office.

It’s rather like liberals who listen to Ahmadinejad explicitly state how Israel will be wiped off the face of the map, then deny he said any such thing.

When somebody tells you to your face, in a not very subtle way, where he intends to take the nation, and you say you “hope” he doesn’t mean it, which of you should be taken for the bigger fool?

3. Most of these people who are jumping ship still think in the 1980s, cold-war mentality. They have no clue just how ruthless the Islamofacsist enemy really is. Yes, Mr. Adelman was one of those who said that the war in the Iraq theatre would be a “cakewalk”. And that it was. It was winning the peace that became the problem. And the thought that somehow, The One is not the liberal that he advertises himself to be is rather wishful thinking. Even I will concede that former President Clinton alway had a real centerist streak. Usually after losing either reelection to governor in 1980 or Democrat control of congress in 1994. I do not see that with The One. I am still with McCain/Palin.

4. Host says:

The guy’s a turd at best. If Obama’s policies destroy the country Mr. Adelman will just blame Bush if he says anything at all.

I’m assuming you guys have had the chance to check out Gateway’s post about the media overestimating Obama’s strength by an AVERAGE of 7%. My God, for all we know McCain has been in the lead this whole time. If the media’s polling is off by 7%, and McCain is only trailing between 2-5% in the polls, this race may well be won.

5. Helen says:

One of the great advantages of the internet is that these comments will still be around when things start going wrong and that hope of Obama not being particularly left-wing is dashed to the ground. However, I do wonder what these people will do if McCain does win (not an impossibility) or, alternatively, in 2012 after a probably disastrous Obama term with Palin as candidate? Will they grovel or have a total amnesia? Or will they all become mavericks?

I think Bill Crystal said it best on Fox News Sunday. These guys are all positioning themselves for a Barry administration. This is nothing more than politicos sucking up to who they believe will be king. What a tush wipe. They are going to be hard pressed if Barry doesn’t win, and God help us all if he does. People like this fool only prove that thought. – Lorica

7. Karmadancer says:

Helen, good question. I think there may be a better possiblity that should McC-Palin actually lose this election it would set the right side of the aisle up perfectly for another landslide like Reagan’s. BO is more Carteresque than Carter was, and there are still enough of us around who remember that debacle.

And just a thought, but as hard as the Democrats are pushing their advertising lately, it kind of speaks loudly that the GOP is actually leading the pack. (The lady doth protest too much?)

– kd

8. BeachBabe NC says:

:(( Election day is nearing. :o Shock that we can get all this info but others can’t. Obama to me will always be a big fat l-) . All the media can seem to do is talk up good ole Barry :-@ . But you know, I’ll still be here true to the **== . I have decided that Im voting for John “Wayne” McCain and that if the others in the nation want to vote for a l-) , then so be it. Im stressed out to the max over this election!

Beachbabe!!! THANK GOD THIS ELECTION IS ALMOST OVER!!!! I am so happy this is almost done that I was going to pop open a bottle of some sort of sparkling wine and celebrate. I am to the point now where I don’t care who wins, I just want it done. Even tho I still think Mac is gonna clean Barry’s clock. :D – Lorica

10. SpideyTerry says:

who once infamously claimed that the war Iraq would be a “cakewalk”

Gee, sounds like the guy doesn’t have such great judgement. Heh, no wonder he endorsed Obama.

11. BeachBabe NC says:

Lorica… I hope you are right!!! WOULD’NT it be HILARIOUS if McCain did clean his clock … hmmm I wonder what time Barry carries on his personal clock? Time of the US or time of the Middle East??=))

12. Steve Skubinna says:

These so-called conservatives jumping to Obama are really just choosing caste over principle (Noonan, Buckley) or are opportunists hoping for a seat at the table (Adelman, Powell). It’s farcical for a professed “conservative” to claim that Obama is the best choice for America. If you really believe that (which I doubt these folks do) then you have no understanding of what the word conservative means. It’s like a John Bircher voting for Gus Hall – and claiming it’s a principled decision.

I agree Steve. There is going to be a reckoning when the dust has settled after this election is over. They will all end up like the Dixie Chicks. Few will listen to their words of “advice” their words will fall on deaf ears. We conservatives won’t listen, and the libs won’t care. – Lorica