A resolution honoring Michael Jackson? Are you kidding me?

Posted by: ST on July 6, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Good grief!

We reported recently about a resolution Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-Tex.) introduced to honor Michael Jackson and referred to, oddly enough, the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

The full text of that resolution has been published, and it’s….long.

The legislation lists Jackson’s accomplishments in endless detail, from his #1 hits to the details of his charity work. At the conclusion, the legislation resolves that Congress

(1) recognizes Michael Jackson as a global humanitarian and a noted leader in the fight against worldwide hunger and medical crises; and

(2) celebrates Michael Jackson as an accomplished contributor to the worlds of arts and entertainment, scientific advances in the treatment of HIV/AIDS, and global food security.

Here are a few of the clauses cited in support of honoring Jackson, not necessarily in consecutive order:

There are too many to mention here.

I can’t believe with everything we’ve got going on in this country – and the world, that House Democrats have the time to sit down and write a lengthy resolution honoring a deceased pop star. They’ve already held a moment of silence. Wasn’t that enough? Furthermore, why was this resolution referred to the House Foreign Affairs Committee? :-\

Related to all this, Rep. Peter King (R-NY) yesterday blasted all the hoopla surrounding the singer’s death:

Rep. Peter King Sunday said people clamoring about Michael Jackson’s death should just beat it.

The Seaford Republican posted a two-minute YouTube video Sunday blasting the late King of Pop as “some pervert” and blaming political correctness in the media for the wall-to-wall coverage of Jackson’s death.

VIDEO: Watch Peter King’s tirade on Michael Jackson

“Let’s knock out the psychobabble,” King said in the video, which was posted by his campaign. “He was a pervert, a child molester; he was a pedophile. And to be giving this much coverage to him, day in and day out, what does it say about us as a country? I just think we’re too politically correct.”

Jackson family spokesman Ken Sunshine told the Associated Press Monday the family is preparing for Jackson’s funeral and will not dignify King’s statement with a comment.

Standing in front of the Wantagh American Legion Hall, King said “there’s nothing good about” Jackson.

“No one wants to stand up and say we don’t need Michael Jackson. He died, he had some talent, fine,” he said. “He may have been a good singer, he did some dancing. Bottom line is, would you let your child or grandchild be in the same room with Michael Jackson? What are we glorifying him for?”

In an interview Sunday night, King said he made the video to highlight efforts made by teachers, police officers and firefighters that he said go unrecognized by celebrity-obsessed media.

For that, he is taking heat from the likes of the race-baiting Bobby Rush (D-IL):

CHICAGO – Today, U.S. Rep. Bobby L. Rush (IL-01) said he was offended and insulted by the comments of New York Rep. Peter King after he called Michael Jackson a “pervert” and questioned the extensive media coverage of the pop star’s death. [...]

Rush, who met with the singer in 2004, and has been a supporter of the Jackson family for several decades demanded an apology from King and said he should be ashamed of himself for politically exploiting the tragic death of the music superstar by expressing headline-grabbing fodder as he contemplates a run for higher office.

“How dare Rep. King utter such scandalous and outlandish comments about Michael Jackson, when he has never opened his mouth to criticize his own colleagues who have been were accused of morally reprehensible, criminal or indecent acts and were forced to resign from public office,” said Rush. “Michael Jackson, was found innocent of the allegation against him and has never been classified in any court as being a pedophile. Therefore my collegague’s position is just an opinion and not a statement of fact.

“Michael will forever live in the memories of tens of millions of people around the world as one of the most creative, engaging and prolific artist of his generation,” Rush continued. “To millions of African Americans children, specifically, his story of being born to a working class family in Gary, Indiana, to becoming one of the world’s biggest stars illustrates the benefits of hard work, discipline, perseverance and self-determination. His story, from his humble beginnings, to his tragic passing at age 50 should be told. For Rep. King to use Jackson’s death as a springboard to a campaign for a U.S. Senate seat is unacceptable. He owes Michael’s mother, Katherine, his children, the entire Jackson family, and his legions of fans an apology.”

Sheesh. What a drama queen.

Michelle Malkin points out that HuffPo is supporting ActBlue’s “campaign” to unseat King over his “offensive” remarks. He was a bad enough Congressmen to them before, but with insulting Michael Jackson I guess King just went too far. LOL.

Ya gotta wonder where the widespread “outrage” was from these same lefties when Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) went on record as saying that the House’s moment of silence for Jackson made him feel “close to nauseated” enough to leave the House floor and go to the cloakroom? Transcript:

YARMUTH: Um, I was close to nauseated by it. I thought it was outrageous. In my two and a half years, we’ve never done that for anybody else who’s a celebrity. We’ve done it for former members, and that’s about it, for former members who’ve passed away … I basically got up and walked back to the cloakroom and got off the floor, because I just thought it was totally uncalled for and over the top.

ZIEGLER: And were you alone in that feeling?

YARMUTH: Oh, no, the cloakroom was pretty well packed. I think there were a lot of people who were disgusted by it.

Didn’t hear a lot about that in the lamestream media? I didn’t, either. I wonder why – well, no, I don’t.

17 Responses to “A resolution honoring Michael Jackson? Are you kidding me?”

Comments

1. Ron Russell says:

This would not surprise me at all. There seems to be something about liberals and child-molesters, a link that is no so questionable.

Yeah yeah yeah Bobby, We just heard how politics is a nasty business. Love how you leftards get all riled up when someone is speaking true, yet have no problem joining in with the lies told against Sarah Palin. – Lorica

“Michael Jackson, was found innocent of the allegation against him and has never been classified in any court as being a pedophile.”

Yeh, and I’d love to have the hush money paid to several other families to not file charges. Heck, that’d set my retirement real nice.

Rush is a racist puke.

King for V.P. in 2012, with Palin heading the ticket. He ain’t pure, but he’s just about the only straight talker in D.C..

4. Steve Skubinna says:

You know who did waaaaay more about those issues than Jackson? Who spent billions of dollars and actually sent aid to those afflicted people and regions?

George W. Bush. But since he never diddled little boys, no resolution commemorating his actual achievements. Not that our present Parliament of Whores are the proper people to mark Bush’s legacy. Every free election in Iraq will testify to that.

Every day our elected bozos find new ways to make themselves less relevant.

5. DaMav says:

You knock this one out of the park quite nicely. Great job!

6. Jo says:

Look out over the adoring, glassy-eyed masses assembled at that sideshow funeral and you will see a collective representation of Obama voters. Obama is the amalgam of pop culture icons. And the show will be ‘The Reverend’ Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson trying to elbow each other out of the way vying for the most camera and microphone time.

7. Tom TB says:

Michael Jackson clearly spiralled downward out of control with his drug use. Why would any members of Congress want to celebrate that? Kick-backs from Big Pharma? In 2009 a 50 year-old rich weirdo should not be dead, so which M.D. authorized the injection, and who administered it?

8. DaSicilian says:

Tom TB…’Kick-backs from Big Pharma’ Hilarious…!

While I will say that he was talented, he was also a very disturbed individual. I may be (I know I am) dating myself here, but I do not think that he was any more talented then Sammy Davis, Jr…an individual that had a great voice, dancing and acting skills….and he did it with only one eye. I didn’t see any resolutions about him…or Sinatra for that matter, or Ella, or Duke, or…

Steve S, I am/was not a fan of W, but that’s one of the best things I’ve seen written since the pedophile died.

10. Brendan says:

Today we celebrate Michael Jackson, Singer, Song Writer, and Drug User. Today we honor Michael Jackson a man who died suddenly of a DRUG OVERDOSE. Why would we teach our children to honor anyone who lives a lifestyle like this regardless. I am sad for the kids, may god bless them as they are the innocent victims here. God knows the hell they will have to go through over the next couple of years. His family and friends should be embarrassed and ashamed. Everyone all of a sudden comes out of the word work and speaks of how great he was, how talented he was. Everyone already knows that. There is no doubt, he was a great performer. He did some very great things. However, I want to know; where was the intervention, where were these so called friends and family members to help him overcome this addiction. Where is the personal responsibility. If we can learn anything from this, it is how drugs can affect anyone’s life; how they can kill everyone and anyone. No one is immune. Teach the kids of our future about issues like this. Tell them exactly the type of lifestyle he lived. We should be celebrating or show tribute to the men and women who serve this country. Those who have died for our freedom. How did this country loose it moral responsibility. What happen to making the a better place for our children. Instead the media reports on this type of behavior and the bleeding hearts of America tolerate it. When will we take responsibility for our actions. I guess since Obama continues to blame Bush and point fingers at the past administration it shows everyone in America it is ok not to take responsbility, to past blame and point fingers. We call this a Leader. America’s knows were the problem started, we are not stupid.

Elvis, Marylin Monroe, Anna Nicole Smith, Heath Ledger now Michael Jackson all died of a drug overdose. Roll Models?

11. SpideyTerry says:

I am truly disgusted that people who had nothing to do with Jackson are treating his death like a personal tragedy. His family and friends are beyond entitled to grieve to their hearts’ content, but people like his fans, the media and so forth? Ridiculous! One of my friends said he was so annoyed over what he perceived as a lack of respect toward Jackson that he almost quit his job. I regret not calling him an idio for that.

I know this is may come as a surprise to certain folks out there, but instead of paying so much attention to Jackson’s death, why not pay a little attention to people that have actually made real contributions to the world like military personnel, police officers, fire fighters, first responders and so forth?

12. Philandstuff says:

You want to honor MJ fine no problem but please read it before you vote.

Unfortunately, in the overall scheme of things MJ’s largest long-term “contribution” to society may be to the cause of NAMBLA.

All in the name of innocence, of course.

14. whatever says:

I am a moderate, but tend to lean left politically and I damn sure don’t condone all the hero worship of this man. Yes, he had a lot of talent, but he was a very sick individual. I believe he is guiltu of molesting a number of young boys and paying them off. years ago, I read an article in Vanity Fair that convinced me of his guilt. Every time he was lauded, they were stabbing those boys in the back, letting them know they could never come out publicly now because they would be crucified for it. Yes, I was a victim of child molestation myself, but if you read the accounts of how he operated and the original complaint from Chandler, its typical of pedophiles. I think its sick the way he is glorified. Talented? Yes. Very mentally ill, yes! Its got to be horrible fo those boys, having their abuser worshiped and glorified as a saint when they know the other side of the story. The media is playing along too. Something is wrong with this picture!