Singer Dave Matthews: Racism is “everywhere” in the US

Posted by: ST on September 21, 2009 at 4:08 pm

And it’s the primary reason people are opposed to Obama, says the popular musician:

We caught up with Matthews just as news hit the Web that former President Jimmy Carter believed racism was the root of some of the negativity directed toward President Obama in recent weeks. The 42-year-old singer-songwriter offered a unique perspective, as a man who split his childhood between the United States and South Africa during apartheid. The following is an edited version of the interview.

CNN: President Carter said he thinks that a lot of the animosity directed toward President Obama is race related.

Dave Matthews: Of course it is! I found there’s a fairly blatant racism in America that’s already there, and I don’t think I noticed it when I lived here as a kid. But when I went back to South Africa, and then it’s sort of thrust in your face, and then came back here — I just see it everywhere. There’s a good population of people in this country that are terrified of the president only because he’s black, even if they don’t say it. And I think a lot of them, behind closed doors, do say it.

Maybe I’m paranoid about it, but I don’t think someone who disagreed as strongly as they do with Obama — if it was Clinton — would have stood up and screamed at him during his speech. (Shakes his head) I don’t think so.

“Maybe” you’re paranoid about it? Dude, you are paranoid about it. And wrong. Does this idiot not remember the 8 years of non-stop yelling the far left did against Bush and his administration on any number of issues? The remaining obsession many of them with Bush and his administration – wanting to have them “investigated” for alleged “war crimes” and “Constitutional abuses”? Can’t blame that on “racism,” so what would Dave Matthews blame it on? Scratch that. It’s clear he really hasn’t thought about it, because the only Presidential history we’re allowed to analyze is Democrat Presidential history because only conservatives are ‘mean’ to Presidents with whom they disagree.

Really. What made CNN decide to question a musician about Jimmy Carter’s comments? Since when did CNN start looking to entertainers to give political opinions? Don’t get me wrong – I’m not one of those “they should just shut up and sing” types. Everyone has a right to express their opinion, but I get the distinct impression that people like Dave Matthews wants people like me to “shut up and serve” … this President – just like celebridiots who pledged to do so earlier this year, all in the interest of “harmony” and “getting along.”

If Matthews really is interested in bringing people together, he can start with condemning this WH for demonizing its mainstream political opposition since Day 1, and he can start calling for civility from its attacks dogs like David Axelrod and Rahm Emanuel. He can also clue the WH in on the fact that it’s supposed to be the government who serves the people, not the other way around, and about the fact that you are not “unpatriotic” simply because you disagree with the President. Oh, and he can also start being a little more civil himself. Accusing a “good population of people” of “racism” is a pretty serious charge, and one he shouldn’t throw around lightly.

31 Responses to “Singer Dave Matthews: Racism is “everywhere” in the US”

Comments

1. Anne says:

Maybe he thinks it’s racist because his audience is so white?

2. NC Cop says:

Ah yes, another left wing self proclaimed “expert”.
    Why on earth would anyone care what Dave Matthews thinks???

I’m about as interested in his views on Nuclear physics as I am racism.

What an idiot.

3. MarkJ says:

Two obvious questions for Dave Matthews:

1. Given your assertion, how many people who buy your CD’s do you suppose are racist?

2. Furthermore, if you knew that racists bought your CD’s, would you a) refund their money and b) henceforth make every effort to refuse to sell your music to them?

I’ll answer my own questions to Dave Matthews:

1. Don’t know and don’t care.
    2. a) No and b) No.

Dave Matthews = Wealthy, Smug, Hypocritical Twerp.

4. neomom says:

Puh-leez….

Would this be the same Dave Matthews of the Dave Matthews Band? The one who endorses Obama and Cap & Trade and other “environmental” initiatives backed by Obama?

The one who’s bus dumped 800 pounds of raw human waste onto a tour boat on the Chicago River on accident while they were trying to dump it into the river on purpose?

THAT Dave Matthews?

blah blah blah

:-@

5. YANKEE says:

The only black folks that Dave Matthews meet are those who clean his luxury hotel suites. This man and his fans still live in the world of apartheid.

6. Tarheeltalker says:

He’s about as politically astute as Michael Moore is economically astute.:d

7. Anthony says:

There’s something about Rockers and political dimwittedness. A while back I posted about John Cougar’s Mellencamp’s belief that free speech was a collective, not an individual right. And it brings to mind something a truly wise rock star, Alice Cooper, once said:

“If you’re listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you’re a bigger moron than they are. Why are we rock stars? Because we’re morons.”

Yep. :)>-

8. JoJo Dog says:

I’ve ignored everything he’s had to say since he dumped sewage from his bus on people in a Chiago ferry. (Yes, that actually happened.)

9. Rougman says:

Maybe Dave just likes hangin’ with racists.

10. Ruth says:

Dave Matthews is annoying, just like his music. I strongly disagree with his opinion. Does that make me a racist? Perhaps it just makes me sane.

11. jay d. says:

Maybe he is still upset because he was cited for dumping his bus crap all over the highways. Just sour grapes.

12. Lerner says:

Why would any sane person even ask that question of Dave Matthews? Who cares what he thinks about racism? I’d have preferred if the question was about his opinion of hemorrhoids. Then, at least, we could look at his response in the proper light.

13. Anonymous says:

Dave Matthews is a psychic? Funny how so many people seem suddenly able to read the motiviations of millions of Americans at once.

Don’t know, never liked his music, never was a fan, even less of one now. You would think that a man whose audience is mostly full of white, and possible racists, he would learn from the stupidity of the Dixie Chicks, but I guess I put to much faith into one man’s intelligence. – Lorica

15. ziptie says:

He’s as clueless as Springsteen.They both drink the same Kool-aid and thier music is unlistenable.Who would listen to either one of these morons.

16. Marc says:

So why exactly should I give a rats you know what about what Dave Matthews thinks? I couldn’t care less. Are there racists in America? Sure. Is it the “overwhelming” percentage former President Carter suggests? Not by a long shot. Are people really upset by President Obama’s agenda, policies, and masked attempts to usurp the authority and power of Congress and the people? YES! That has nothing to do with the color of his skin but everything to do with the content of his character.
    I think the President is enjoying this uproar about racism just so he can look good with his “above it all” pose.

17. Ron Russell says:

Its really nice to know that racism is alive and well. I felt so alone when I was denounced by a troll and called a racist. Great I’ve got plenty of company now.

18. James says:

Can I hate Mathews and not be seen as racist? Cause I know he’s African-American but he’s a white south African so we are the same race.

19. James says:

Here’s somethign the extremely intelligent Dave matthews and Juimmy carter hadn’t thought of:

If the US is so racist, then how did Obama, a biracial man with dark skin, become president??? If Americans are so racist, then why did the majority of them vote for Obama? That’s like accusing Elie Wiesel of being anti-semetic! What a jackass!

And what–because he’s half-black, we’re not allowed to criticize his political agendas? We’re all supposed to just shut up and let him kill babies and set terrorists free? I am so sick of these jackasses playing the race card!

20. Jeff says:

Dave Matthews can’t carry a tune, let alone read our minds. But in all seriousness, should we really care what a person thinks that has not been straight in the last 10 years ?.

21. Erin says:

Shouldn’t he be practicing for his next gig–John Edwards’ rooftop wedding to Rielle Hunter?

22. SubSonic says:

Dave who? lol

Honestly, I wish I had this ability that Carter, Dowd, and now Matthews apparently has that they can *know* what everyone in this country is thinking…I’d make a fortune at the Texas Hold’em tournaments if I had that talent.

You know, just a few years ago, I heard that DISSENT was the highest form of Patriotism…guess that only applies when a non-Dem is in the Big House.

What a buffoon.

Oh, and kudos on the blog…from a fellow North Carolinian. Found it through M/M and am quite glad I did.

23. Steve Skubinna says:

Okay, who told Matthews that I cared what he thought or said about anything? Was it one of you guys playing a prank? Come on, ‘fess up.

Whoever it was, go back and explain to him that his job, as an entertainer, is to entertain. Not entertain necessarily me, but, uh, somebody. He, and will.i.am, and Madonna, and Kanye West, and Charlie Sheen, and Ashton Kuchner and all the rest of those no-load idiots can stuff their opinions back where they got them. There are lots of people a lot smarter than they whose opinions I disregard.

24. From Wiki:

Although his music has often explored political and social issues, Matthews refrained from public campaigning for Presidential candidates until 2004. He cast his support strongly with Democratic nominee John F. Kerry, performing at political events including the Vote for Change tour.

Matthews also supported Barack Obama for President in 2008, both in the primaries and in the general election

…I rest my case.

25. anorm says:

Ok, scratch yet another group/person that I sorta liked to listen to. Dang, I will have nothing on my iPod if they don’t stfu!

26. daveinboca says:

Like Sean Penn & Alec Baldwin in Hollyweird and other celebritards, the amount of political BS Dave Mathews is spewing is directly proportional to his declining popularity at the box office. [Baldwin has 30Rock okay, but no flix that made money & Penn is box office poison. A Mathews concert in S. Fl wasn’t sold out, I read in the local news.

27. 2Hotel9 says:

Dave Matthews, Democrat racist asshole. Why am I supposed to care what a blatant Democrat racist has to say?

28. Kate says:

So the media has set a new standard…or hit a new low.

They say, lets find someone who will agree with us and interview him! Yeah, that’s the ticket. Why waste time talking to people who have opposing points of view when we can just call the all crazy. Isn’t that how the “establishment” looked upon the peaceniks in the 60′s? And now folks, we have come full circle…the crazies are running the madhouse!

29. CZ says:

Soon, Dave will be touring with the Dixie Chicks.~o)