Video/transcript of audience laughing as Letterman admits to affairs

Posted by: ST on October 2, 2009 at 10:54 am

Good grief. How low can they go?

After a monologue that included more than one Roman Polanski joke — which I found odd given my knowledge of what was coming — act two began with Dave, who was clearly enjoying his audience, saying “I’m glad you folks are here tonight and in such a good mood ….. Do you feel like a story?” (Crowd: Yeahh!!)

So he starts talking about finding the package in the back of his car at 6 a.m. and the note, which read, “I know that you do some terrible, terrible things.” Laughter. “A guy is going to write a screenplay about me … unless I give him some money. … That’s a little hinky!” More laughter.

You can tell Letterman is trying to ratchet up the gravity. He uses the word “terrifying” to describe his response to this extortion letter. Later on he says, “This whole thing has been quite scary.” But for every one of those statements there’s one like this: “If you know anything about me, I am just a towering mass of Lutheran midwestern guilt.” Of course, the crowd laughs. It sounds funny.

The first tipoff to the audience should have been Dave’s statement, “This guy knows creepy stuff about me” –not “this guy thinks he knows creepy stuff about me.”

And then finally, after telling the audience that the suspect, now ID’s as Robert Halderman, had been arrested, applause, finally Dave reveals the allegation in the screenplay: that “I have had sex with women who worked for me on the show.” And….?

“My response to that is, yes, I have,” said Letterman. At this admission, the audience laughs and then rolls into applause.

Here’s the video:

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, considering this is the same country that excused Bill Clinton’s, ahem, numerous marital ‘indiscretions’ while President. It’s saddening all the same, though, to watch our cultural decline in living color.

That said, I agree with other bloggers on the issue of extortion – it’s wrong and no one should have to go through it. But if Letterman had kept his marital vows he wouldn’t be in this situation to begin with.

I should also note that while extortion is clearly wrong, I feel very little sympathy for Letterman. He’s an adulterous slug who made the personal choice to have affairs with members of his staff. He’s also a jerk who has contempt for women – especially conservative women. He’s also a flaming hypocrite who has made “jokes” in the past about the the personal failings of others, personal failings that included infidelity.

They say that sometimes, what comes around goes around. But for David Letterman, I’m not so sure. Considering his audience thought his admission was “funny” and considering how Hollyweird views sex scandals involving one of their own, he might just emerge from this scandal unscathed, another “misunderstood” hero of sorts.

No doubt he’s thanking his lucky stars that he’s a liberal comedian. The only question left is: Will Whoopi Goldeberg view what he did as simply a few “affairs” or will she view them as “affairs-affairs”? :-?

12 Responses to “Video/transcript of audience laughing as Letterman admits to affairs”

Comments

1. Carol says:

Truly sick and disturbing.

2. Jo says:

David Letterman has always been mean-spirited, often sexist and rabid in his liberal bias. I don’t watch him and won’t shed a tear when he is finally off the air whatever that may take to achieve. I couldn’t understand the audience’s reaction to his revelation of infidelity. I guess among some of his post-adolescent fans, it’s the accepted norm of behavior and ‘cool.’ Another lib-tard.

3. griv says:

The laughter I am SURE occurred because they all assumed it was part of a joke. The way he presented it made it look like a joke. He should resign as a hypocrite, apologize to Sarah Palin and make the world a better place. He is a dirt bag and isn’t even the least bit funny.

4. Bachbone says:

Another leftist serial philanderer. Where is NOW? If Letterman were a conservative, NOW would be picketing and demanding he be fired. And what does his wife think? Are the MSM ‘investigative reporters’ camped on her front lawn shoving a camera in her face at every opportunity? Naaaah, they do that only to conservatives.

Are leftist males’ wives wimps? The Kennedy wives put up with their hubby’s serial infidelty, too. Mark Sanford’s wife soon moved herself and her kids out of the home after discovering he was philandering, so conservative women must be more “liberated” than NOW portrays them, eh?

As Rush says, “They’re showing us who they are every day. Watch and learn.”

Leftists like Letterman can get away with it because they only pick on people who have stated moral standards and who fail to meet those standards, while the Lettermans of the world have no moral standards and are free to abuse women at will. Polanski is the crucial example here.

And you’ll not hear a peep from the hens at NOW because they’re part of the same culture, and besides, if the woman isn’t one of dire importance to them, why bother?

6. Xrlq says:

The usual liberal rejoinder is that Letterman’s affairs aren’t “hypocritical,” as it’s only hypocritical when Republicans and conservatives cheat on their wives. Which would be true, I suppose, if liberals want to admit that according to their principles, you are supposed to cheat on your wife. Because if that’s the rule, then I’ll grant that liberals who cheat on theirs, aren’t hypocrites.

That’s just it, Xlrq, the Repubs trumpet their love of Mom and apple pie and family values, while the jokers just smile and wait for the Repubs to screw up (or around) and don’t “preach” any moral values to get caught on.

If you don’t live it you shouldn’t preach it.

Word is that CBS has been forcing websites to remove the video of this.

LINK

9. alchemist says:

I thought, according to the release, that letterman wasn’t married at the time of the indiscretions.

Not saying that I agree with them, but then they would no longer be “affairs”, they would be sex with employees. Which is perfectly legal, as long as nobody sues for discrimination….

10. Why would David Letterman apologize to his wife and fans if what he was doing was not an “affair,” alchemist? An affair is defined as a “short term sexual relationship” and the definition at dictionary.com says nothing about having to be married. Do you really think his wife justifies what Letterman did by telling herself that they weren’t married at the time, even though they had been together since 1986?

Really – why do you always excuse indiscretions when it’s a Democrat committing them?

11. Why would David Letterman apologize to his wife and fans if what he was doing was not an “affair,” alchemist? An affair is defined as a “short term sexual relationship” and the definition at dictionary.com says nothing about having to be married. Do you really think his wife justifies what Letterman did by telling herself that they weren’t married at the time, even though they had been together since 1986?

Great question! It’s sort of like asking why Congress removed the “Death Panels” in HR 3200 when they “weren’t there to begin with.” Libs! 8-|