Michael Steele steps in it again, disses his own party

Posted by: ST on November 10, 2009 at 9:16 am

Sigh. This is becoming a (bad) habit:

Republican National Committee (RNC) chairman Michael Steele, who is known for making controversial statements, on Sunday said that white Republicans are afraid of him.

Steele also took aim at some in his own party last week as well, saying that he would “come after” centrist Republicans who support healthcare reform.

The Republican chairman appeared on TVOne’s “Washington Watch” this weekend, a new Sunday political talk show aimed at a black audience. The host, Roland Martin, asked Steele how Republicans could reach out to black voters. Steele responded by talking about issues such as education, small business, jobs and the economy, The rest is in a partial transcript:

MARTIN: But your candidates got to talk to them. One of the criticisms I’ve always had is Republicans — white Republicans — have been scared of black folks.

STEELE: You’re absolutely right. I mean I’ve been in the room and they’ve been scared of me. I’m like, “I’m on your side” and so I can imagine going out there and talking to someone like you, you know, [say] “I’ll listen.” And they’re like “Well.” Let me tell you. You saw in Christie and you saw in McDonnell a door open because they went in and engaged. McDonnell was very deliberate about spending…

MARTIN: Right.

STEELE: I mean, Sheila Johnson was on his team. I mean, that was a big deal. That’s because he engaged her and she helped navigate him through that relationship.

Gee – thanks, Michael.

Pairing this comment up with the last time he really screwed up – when he didn’t protest after CNN’s D.L. Hughley said the GOP convention looked like “Nazi Germany” – mainstream Americans have got to be wondering why he’s even a member of the Republican party, let alone the Chairman of it.

I’ve just about had it with this guy.  I had such high hopes for him, but he has turned out to be a big disappointment.

12 Responses to “Michael Steele steps in it again, disses his own party”

Comments

1. bondwooley says:

It’s easier to understand Michael Steele when you know who’s coaching him:

LINK

(satire)

2. bill glass says:

Steele has a tough job…he’s not doing too bad. Cut him some slack! Besides, what did he say that was so bad?

3. WestWright says:

WTH, Michael Steele is the best the RNCC could find. Can Steele manage to get through 1 week w/o biting his foot?

4. joe hendrix says:

I feel like you do about Steele. He has been rather a disappointment to me too. He is not as articulate and outspoken as he should be either.

5. faith summerson says:

I was really happy when Steele got the job to lead the Republican Party. But with his comment “that white people are afraid of him” he is in the wrong job. I was also very disappointed when he supported that woman in the 23rd District of NY. What I knew of him when he got the job, I liked, with the additional information, I believe he is not representing the values of smaller government and lower taxes and he certainly has some race issues, he does not represent my concerns or beliefs.

6. rod stanton says:

Another bad leftover of the Rove/Bush lefties who have run the GOP the last 8 years.
    Which explains why the Dems have won big the last 5 years!

7. Nina says:

I won’t send a penny to the Rep party till they get rid of Steel and all the rinos.

8. Tibby says:

:( Unfortunately I agree with Faith and Nina. I had high hopes for him when he was announced, but he has not at all lived up to my expectations. And that last racist comment was pretty much the last straw. Could we PLEASE get past the color issue. It’s a dead horse that some people can’t stop flogging away at.

I was pretty impressed with Steele on Fox News Sunday this weekend. I thought he really showed just how big an ass Tim Kaine was. It was funny watching Kaine cut off Steele and then when Steele finally cut him off, poor baby Timmy gets all whiney about being cut off. Even Chris Walace told baby Tim that he had cut Michael off.

I will give Steele the 1st one mostly because he needed to break out of the flock mentality. Republican’s don’t need to reach out to “black” people. We need to reach out to all people, with simple basics. Smaller Government, fewer taxes, and responsible behavior once they get to DC. You do this, and keep your word that you are going to do this, you will attract everyones vote. Less Government interferance is a benefit for all. – Lorica

Unfortunately, Steele has turned out to be a jackass lite, one who still believes that guvmint is the answer to all ills, just not as fast.

Trust us, Michael. If we wanted your brand of jackass we would vote for a real one, not a “moderate Republican.” Yes, it’s nice to have a “big tent”, but what you’re saying is to get that “big tent” we have to get rid of the principals that make us different from the other party to begin with, and we don’t buy it.

And we wouldn’t buy it from a white man, either, so there’s your answer to the charge of racism.

11. Peter says:

You gotta be kidding. Let’s see … by bashing Rush Limbaugh, he bashes by extension those of us who are longtime listeners because Rush speaks for us. By failing to defend a racist al-CNN commentator who said the GOP Convention looked like Nazi Germany and by making a ridiculous comment like this one, he plays to the vilest smears of the Left, namely that the base of the GOP are Nazis and racists.

If Steele truly believes that, then his home is the Democrat Party, and he needs to go over there post haste. Otherwise, just shut his damn mouth.