Puff, the Magic Biden: Iraq could be one of Obama’s “greatest accomplishments”

Posted by: ST on February 11, 2010 at 9:19 am

Top of the Ticket’s Andrew Malcolm reports this morning on comments the allegedly “smarter” half of the O’Biden ticket made on CNN’s Larry King Live Wednesday night on the highs and lows of President Obama’s first year (via Memeorandum):

Many Americans recall the ex-Sen. Biden’s Democratic primary plans to give in to Iraq’s fractious factions and carve the country into three territories. And even more probably recall Biden’s boss’ plan to halt the Iraq war years ago. As long as it got started anyway without the permission of the then state senator.

Plus, of course, Obama’s vehement opposition to the 2007 American troop surge of you-know-who from Texas that Obama knew for certain was only going to worsen sectarian strife there. (See 2007 video here.)….

[...]

Well, of course, it didn’t turn out that way, thanks in large measure to the brave service of hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops who served in that war-torn land and helped peace to break out despite the loud political acrimony back home over their role.

Now, the Obama-Biden pair that opposed the Iraq war and its tactics and predicted their failure is prepared to accept credit for its success.

It seems that Biden, who’s from Delaware when he’s in Delaware and Pennsylvania when in Pennsylvania, is certain now that Iraq will turn out to be one of the Obama-Biden administration’s greatest achievements.

The money quote from the transcript:

I am very optimistic about — about Iraq. I mean, this could be one of the great achievements of this administration. You’re going to see 90,000 American troops come marching home by the end of the summer. You’re going to see a stable government in Iraq that is actually moving toward a representative government.

I spent — I’ve been there 17 times now. I go about every two months — three months. I know every one of the major players in all the segments of that society. It’s impressed me. I’ve been impressed how they have been deciding to use the political process rather than guns to settle their differences.

Apparently, reinventing history isn’t just a tactic reserved for his boss.

I should note for the record that this is not the first time one the O’Bidens have either taken credit for the successes of the Iraq war or given it to fellow anti-war lefties. Then-VP candidate Joe Biden laughably claimed in September 2008 that:

“The fact of the matter is, the only thing succeeding in Iraq right now is the plan that Barack and I talked about that Petraeus is implementing … giving local control in the very areas with a limited central government.”

Much earlier that year, the man who would eventually become his boss proclaimed:

Now, I had no doubt — and I said at the time, when I opposed the surge, that given how wonderfully our troops perform, if we place 30,000 more troops in there, then we would see an improvement in the security situation and we would see a reduction in the violence. But understand, we started in 2006 with intolerable levels of violence and a dysfunctional government. We saw a spike in the violence, the surge reduced that violence, and we now are, two years later, back where we started two years ago. We have gone full circle at enormous cost to the American people.

What we have to do is to begin a phased redeployment to send a clear signal to the Iraqi government that we are not going to be there in perpetuity. Now, it will — we should be as careful getting out as we were careless getting in. I welcome the genuine reductions of violence that have taken place, although I would point out that much of that violence has been reduced because there was an agreement with tribes in Anbar province — Sunni tribes — who started to see, after the Democrats were elected in 2006, you know what, the Americans may be leaving soon, and we are going to be left very vulnerable to the Shi’as. We should start negotiating now. That’s how you change behavior.

Simply spintastic.

Obviously, this dynamic duo were spinning fantasy into their own version of “reality” well before they officially became a cohesive unit in January 2009. And since then, they’ve turned inventing “truths” into an art form unlike any we’ve seen before in modern history, a true testament to their ability to deliberately lie to the American people without blinking an eye, all in an effort to make them believe that yes, the adults really are back in charge “again.” Hey, did you know that Barack Obama was the most bipartisan President evah? He’s “created or saved millions of jobs”! Not only that, but his administration is the most “open and accountable in history.” And lobbyists? They have “no influence” whatever on SuperBam.

I’m clicking my heels together as fast as I can, chanting “there’s no place like home” because right now, the socialistic “leadership” coming out of Washington, DC makes me feel like I’m not living in the country I’ve loved all my life. The lies, the spin, the deception, the phony “outstretched hand” symbolic gestures are getting to be too much to stomach. None of this is more true than on the issue of the Iraq war, where both Obama and Biden’s mutual history of opposition should not be whitewashed, nor should they be allowed to get away with taking the credit for the success of a surge they opposed. Take it away, Betsy Newmark:

In the fantasy world in which Joe Biden, and perhaps Barack Obama, are the stars of a saga of heroic battles for peace, justice and some other stuff like that what has happened in Iraq is a credit to “this administration.”

How about the previous administration whose policies in Iraq Biden and Barack Obama had endlessly criticized and voted against. They both opposed the surge that brought about the situation that Biden now wants to take credit for. And Biden’s big proposal was his dopey idea to divide Iraq into three separate territories. And if Obama had had his way, we would have pulled our troops out of there before Bush’s administration was even over. The only credit that “this administration” deserves is for not messing too much with the much improved situation that Bush fought to bring to Iraq.

Absofreakinlutely.

And isn’t it interesting how as their domestic agenda continues to prove on a daily basis to be a disaster, they increasingly blame it on what they allegedly “inherited from Bush” but on the other hand on the issue of the Iraq war, which they did “inherit” from Bush, they turn around and try to steal the credit for accomplishments that began on his watch – accomplishments that happened in spite of their Iraq war opposition while they were in the Senate, and while they were running to take his place? Apparently “blaming Bush” is only acceptable when this administration can’t explain away it’s failures. Their “successes,” on the other hand, are a different story altogether.

Can’t make this stuff up, folks.

Flashback:

25 Responses to “Puff, the Magic Biden: Iraq could be one of Obama’s “greatest accomplishments””

Comments

1. NC Cop says:

I couldn’t see straight when I read this! How dare he! If he and Obama had their way there would be a civil war raging in Iraq right now. Hundreds of thousands would be dying.

What a despicable man Biden is.

Remember what Obama said in 2007?

“The United States cannot use its military to solve humanitarian problems and that preventing a potential genocide in Iraq isn’t a good enough reason to keep U.S. forces there.”

I’ve never even heard of such lying cowardice in all my life.

2. your mama says:

I swear,can this man act or say anything more stupidly.What a moron.

3. ZippyTheWerewolf says:

I have to admit, an avid Fox News reader am I, but often decline to read most of what Obama or Biden says for fear of having my head explode..so I read it here, knowing that you interject commentary with news and ‘facts as they see it’ before my blood pressure erupts. What is apparent to me and many others is that they out and out lie and/or take credit undeserved. Why do way too many others buy their crap? stupidity or simply laziness on their part?

4. John Bibb says:

***
    Sheriff Joe Biden and Al Gore are brilliant! One is responsible for victory in Iraq, and the other invented the internet. They only take credit where credit is due.
    ***
    Rocketman
    ***

5. bill glass says:

I hope the people of this great nation have a better memory than Biden and Obama give them credit for…simply laughable!

6. Tex says:

It’s no wonder they are trying to take credit for winning the war they tried as hard as they could to make sure we would be defeated in just 2 short years ago. They know they’ll never have to answer to their devoted press groupies for stealing credit for something they had nothing to do with.

7. David Turecki says:

:((How much can the American citizens take? If Obama is a Constitutional attorney, it would be obvious that the 25 million illegals (felons ) don’t belong here and anyone helping them ( CONGRESS ) should be jailed for treason. Instead Congress protects and coddles the illegals( knowing that they will be granted amnesty, as in 15 million votes for the Dems. Amazing,Congress is spending our hard earned money to buy potential votes!! We’re spending 700 billion tax dollars a year on these criminals, and yet the news media says nothing. Our great country is collapsing, a simple solution would be to send all the illegals and TVS back. Three previous Presidents have successfully sent them home when our economy’s were being stressed. C’mon Fox get with it, now!!!The facts are, the economy could be balanced, millions of new jobs would surface, tax revenues would increase. Lets demand Congress define what an American is by definition and who exactly qualifies for U.S. entitlement programs. Right now an American is considered anyone from North,South, or Central America, anyone that knows an American or can spell or say American. If we send the illegals away, make them have visas, and health insurance before they cross our border, in other words treat them like other countrys do, an immediate rebound of the USA would occur. A ‘CHANGE’ we can believe in is coming.

LOL When you are short on achievements, you take credit wherever you can. Especially if you are a liberal. Biden has been delusional for as long as I can remember, and it really makes me wonder if there isn’t something in the water in Delaware. – Lorica

9. dr kill says:

If you think about this clearly, Uncle Joe is correct.
    Name another accomplishment of the Obama Administration, any accomplishment at all.

10. Sefton says:

I knew a year ago this would happen. I posted on one forum: “Just watch, the Obama administration will eventually try to take credit for the success in Iraq – even while blaming setbacks to their domestic policies on Bush.”
    You can generally read progressives and their ilk pretty easy. They’ll say anything…promise anything…lie to your face, if it means they can gain and keep control. That’s who we have in the White House and much of Congress at present.

11. Do we need any more proof that Biden suffered serious brain damage in 1988 from his post Kinnock plagiarism aneurisms? What a complete doofus!

12. Mike says:

Hey NC cop, there was a civil war in Iraq and hundreds of thousands did die. It took the Surge to stop it (that and paying off the Sunnis to stop fighting). And as for the lying cowardice of Obama saying “The United States cannot use its military to solve humanitarian problems” may I quote W on the campaign trail? “The United States should not get involved in Nation Building”
    Did you have a problem with that?

13. Um, Mike, NC Cop was there in Iraq – volunteering as a civilian to train the Iraqi police forces. I’m not trying to speak for him, but you can rest assured, he knows what was happening on the ground there, and he knows what liberals were saying here about the mission in Iraq while our men and women were giving their all, fighting for y’all’s right to disparage them without care for what it did to their morale, and without concern about the comfort it gave the enemy, kinda like Kos’ comments about civilian contractors murdered by the ‘insurgency’: “Screw them.”

As to your lame W quote, you ARE aware that after 9-11 that viewpoint had to be revisited, right? That we just couldn’t go into Afghanistan (which, according to the left, was the “necessary” war) wage war and leave without finishing what we set out to do? Same same for Iraq. You see, Mike, sometimes a President – as the CIC – has to adapt, to change course in the event of grave threats to our both our country and our country’s interests abroad. I know modern history reflects that the left doesn’t mind creating messes on the battlefield and then cutting and running from them without a care as to the type of utter devastation and mass deaths that will occur as a result, but that’s not how President Bush rolled and, in spite of his other faults, I’m proud of him for standing his ground on that when empty suits like Senator Obama were casually remarking about how genocide was no reason for US troops to stay in a country in which it had waged war – a shocking statement made by the man who wanted to be the Commander in Chief (a position that is supposed to exude strength, leadership, and character on a world stage, BTW), a statement which I’m sure gave no comfort to both the men and women in uniform who wanted to complete the mission, and the Iraqis who knew they’d be the victims if we cut and run before the mission was completed.

On the other hand, I’m sure Al Qaeda was taking note of the weakness of the junior Senator from Illinois’ remarks, and remember them even today even as he himself has adjusted his position on the issue of Iraq and Afghanistan now that his eyes have seen their scope through the eyes of a President, rather than just a cocky first term Senator with a thin resume.

I really, truly get so very, very tired of liberals who clearly know not of what they speak, who have no perspective, who only view things in terms of the “here and now,” who don’t bother to take a look at the bigger picture. Grow up, Mike. And get a freakin’ clue.

14. Mike says:

I take offense to being labeled a liberal just because I’m not a neo-con (paleo-dem). I’m a card carrying Republican who never voted for a Dem but not an idealogue who blindly adopts every position the party takes. I was a stay the course guy although I thought going in was a mistake. And Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11, or was part of this naive dream that bringing democracy there would create this domino effect, bringing democracy and peace to the entire Mid-East. How’s that going? W was right the first time.

Getting back to the topic, I’m reminded of this old line in relation to Slow Joe (and Duh-1 and his capitol corps of thugs):

“A legend in his own mind.”

16. I’m not a blind ideologue, either, Mike, but my comments about liberals who don’t get it also apply to alleged “card carrying” Republicans who don’t get it.

17. Great White Rat says:

I’m a card carrying Republican

Ah, yes – right out of the Axelrod/DNC/Organzing for America script for concern trolls: establish an identity with the audience quickly.

For the moment, let’s assume you’re what you claim to be. Here’s where you go off the rails:

I was a stay the course guy although I thought going in was a mistake.

For a “stay the course guy”, you seem awfully disappointed with our success. I notice you had no criticism at all of Obama and Biden working to undermine US policy even AFTER the surge began. That doesn’t pass the smell test. To me, a “stay the course” attitude would be something along these lines: OK, I didn’t think we were right to go in, but now that we’re there, let’s do what’s necessary to win it. Not you. You’re still looking to give OBiden a pass while taking potshots at Bush. Not normally the sign of a stay-the-course man.

Then there’s this:

Of course, ST never said Iraq had anything to do with 9-11. She said that Bush had to re-evaluate his statement in light of 9-11. But don’t let that stop you from regurgitating the stock leftist talking point. By the way, about the “naive dream”? A lot of Iraqis with purple fingers would disagree with you. And like ST, I’m more inclined to believe NC Cop’s eyewitness accounts than anything festering in your imagination.

And when you come down to it, you missed the point of ST’s entire post. The Obama administration has bungled everything they touch for over a year now. These guys make Wile E. Coyote look competent. Achieving a state of cluelessness would be a major step up for them. Now they are claiming to have finally succeeded at something – except it’s something they opposed at every step. And your response is, to paraphrase, it’s OK because BOOOOSH BAD!!!

So let’s summarize: a “stay the course” guy who’s disappinted that America won, drags out the old fantasy about Iraq and 9-11, looks to blame Bush for Iraq but finds no problem with Biden taking credit for it.

Yeah, that sure sounds like your average card-carrying Republican to me. Riiiiight. l-)

18. NC Cop says:

“The United States should not get involved in Nation Building”
    Did you have a problem with that?

We didn’t go into Iraq or Afghanistan to “nation build” Mike. We went into Iraq because of their WMD threat and we went into Afghanistan because of their involvement with 9/11. Try and keep up.

However, as a responsible country, we must make sure the country is stable and able to maintain itself before we pull out instead of leaving it to collapse.

As for your civil war comments, that’s a crock. There was not a civil war. Certain elements tried to ignite one, but because of the work of our troops and the fact that Bush didn’t turn tail and run, a civil war was averted. What you saw in Iraq was absolutely nothing compared to what would have happened had we pulled out in 2004 like the democrats wanted.

You seem to have that liberal “selective memory”.

19. jd says:

Lame Cherry has a really funny article about this called Another Obama Miracle. He even disputes the number of visits to Iraq that Biden claims to have taken. Personally, I think Biden and Gibbs are meant to be comedic distractions.