Pelosi said WHAT?

Posted by: ST on June 1, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Oh my – this woman needs serious help:

(CNSNews.com) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) says she believes she must pursue public policies “in keeping with the values” of Jesus Christ, “The Word made Flesh.”

Pelosi, who is a Catholic and who favors legalized abortion, voted against the ban on partial-birth abortion that was enacted into law in 2003.

At a May 6 Catholic Community Conference on Capitol Hill, the speaker said: “They ask me all the time, ‘What is your favorite this? What is your favorite that? What is your favorite that?’ And one time, ‘What is your favorite word?’ And I said, ‘My favorite word? That is really easy. My favorite word is the Word, is the Word. And that is everything. It says it all for us. And you know the biblical reference, you know the Gospel reference of the Word.”

“And that Word,” Pelosi said, “is, we have to give voice to what that means in terms of public policy that would be in keeping with the values of the Word. The Word. Isn’t it a beautiful word when you think of it? It just covers everything. The Word.

“Fill it in with anything you want. But, of course, we know it means: ‘The Word was made flesh and dwelt amongst us.’ And that’s the great mystery of our faith. He will come again. He will come again. So, we have to make sure we’re prepared to answer in this life, or otherwise, as to how we have measured up.”

Sigh.

First, I don’t have to tell you how flaming red the OutrageOmeter would be right now if Pelosi’s words were instead uttered by George “Dumbya” Bush during his two terms. There’d be so much fretting, sweating, handwringing, mouth foaming, demands for “clarification” – and that’s just from the MSM.

Second and more importantly, I’ve tackled “liberal Christianity” in numerous posts, this one especially. Simply put, liberalism is all about doing what “feels good,” not necessarily what is “right. It also advocates abandoning sound moral judgments in the name of Moral Relativism. There is no right, no wrong, no good, no evil. There just “is.” On the other hand – and this is surely news to Ms. Pelosi and other like-minded liberal Christians – there are plenty of moral judgments and “absolutes” in the Bible, absolutes that offend “progressive” church-goers like Pelosi to the point that they seek out fluffly, loose, modern liberal interpretations of “The Word” that they believe justify their world view on their pet issues like abortion on demand and gay marriage. Barack Obama even had the audacity to suggest during his 2008 campaign that the Sermon on the Mount justified civil unions.

And here I thought that, according to the left, our laws weren’t supposed to be based on The Word but instead on secularism. It’s interesting to hear that apparently Pelosi thinks otherwise, provided we cotton to her interpretation of God’s word.

I don’t want to come off as a Christian snob because this isn’t about which type of Christian is “better” or “more God-like” than the other. But the fact is that liberal “feel good Christianity” is no more compatible with “The [actual] Word” than Rev. Jim Baker’s swindling good people out of their hard-earned money “in the name of God” was. There is nothing in the Bible that justifies abortion on demand. There is nothing in the Bible that justifies gay marriage. There is nothing in the Bible that justifies punishing people for their success. There is nothing in the Bible that justifies casual sex. There is nothing in the Bible that justifies stem cell research.

I could go on and on. Jesus was neither liberal nor conservative, and I wish like crazy that the left would stop suggesting and/or insinuating that “Jesus was a liberal” when The Word is too complex to slap a modern-day political label on it. The fact is that while many of our secular laws line up with the right vs. wrong nature of Christianity, many of them – like abortion – do not, in part because our laws are not supposed to be based on some politician’s concept of what being a Christian is (for my fellow Christian conservatives who may disagree, just think about how you’d feel if Pelosi was President and said the remarks I quoted earlier. ’nuff said.). It’s one thing to use your Christian principles as a guiding light; it is, however, something else to advocate for policies solely on that basis.

That being said, I’ve noted a million times how – when explaining the basis for my opinions on issues like abortion and gay marriage – that there is no need to utilize Christian arguments to justify those beliefs (unless you are arguing with someone who believes that “The Word” justifies abortion, etc). There are plenty of good, logical, persuasive, secular moral arguments to be made on those issues. Why? Because, again, it goes back to right vs. wrong parallels in both the secular life and Christian life as well. For example: You don’t have to be a Christian to believe that redefining marriage will lead to a slippery slope where pretty much anyone can define marriage in any way they want. Another example: You don’t have to be a Christian to know that abortion is wrong. Who would have thought that in this day and age that I am the one viewed as an “extremist” simply because I don’t want an unborn baby to be sucked out of its’ mother’s body in pieces, where as the other side is ok with that happening for any reason whatsoever?

Perhaps Pelosi is starting to openly attempt to justify her policy positions by referencing “The Word” because she sees that secular arguments liberals use on issues like abortion aren’t working as well as they used to. Either way, whether you’re looking at her viewpoints from a Christian standpoint or secular, she’s way off base. Not the first time, and it won’t be the last – not for her nor other liberal Christians who are increasingly desperate to find ways to try and justify beliefs that are becoming increasingly less mainstream.

• YankMcCain.com trackbacked with Nancy Pelosi is Still Off The Deep End...
  • 21 Responses to “Pelosi said WHAT?”

Comments

1. Great White Rat says:

There’s an easy explanation, ST. It’s obvious when you read that above section closely.

It’s this: when Pelosi talks about “The Word”, she means Rules for Radicals.

2. Zippy says:

*is waiting for the duck to come down and hand Pelosi $25 for saying the magic woid*

In all seriousness, God said ‘Let their be stupid. I want stupid to reflect all stupid people everywhere so they can worship The Word in vain and show the world that stupid is as stupid does’. And behold God brought Nancy to the Earth, thankfully clothed in clothing and a bad facelift.

That was partly from the Bible and partly from Forrest Gump.

3. Anthony says:

It’s an attempt to cut off debate by using an “absolute moral authority” argument, in this case hiding behind God instead of “the children.” It’s as intellectually vapid as the rest of her nonsense. Really, she’s the Norma Desmond of politics, and just as detached from reality. This is only the latest (though perhaps the greatest) of her inanities.

Regarding her “faith,” her hypocrisy in claiming to be a good Catholic while supporting abortion on demand is infuriating. I may be a long-lapsed Catholic, but at least I had enough respect for the Church to stop going when I realized I couldn’t accept what they were teaching. This harridan, on the other hand, insults not only her audience’s intelligence but the Church she claims to love, itself. Catholic teaching is unequivocal: life begins at conception, and abortion is never permissible. Anything else is murder, and Pelosi’s support for abortion on demand abets that.

If the Archbishop of San Francisco had any brass, he’d call her to account and demand she either recant, leave the Church, or be excommunicated.

4. Pasadena Phil says:

Pelosi gets her religion from the Book of Lilith.

5. BK says:

She favors legalized abortion.

Where did Jesus say “Kill thy neighbor?”

6. PE says:

Best I can explain: she is on the verge of transcendental levitation. Next stop: the dark side of the moon.

7. Cmdr Zm says:

There is no logical problem with basing social laws on religion, provided the religion is truly in worship of God. This assumes the God you worship created everything, thus would have a better understanding of how things work, or ought to work, than any creature would.

I believe in God as revealed in the Bible as the One who created all this stuff, and us too. Therefore I have no qualm about law which is based on the Bible.

Such a law would need to stand up to analysis of its Biblical foundation. There would be room for honest disagreement.

Ms Pelosi does not seem to read the Bible with understanding, or she lies, or perhaps she is as stupid as a post.

ByTheWay, Pasadena Phil, good allusion to Lilith.

WOW!! This woman is truly deceived. – Lorica

I’d really like her to show me where it tells us in the Bible to steal from the rich (which happens to be defined by government) and give a (small) portion of that to the poor? Every Bible I’ve ever read essentially says giving to the poor is a voluntary, individual act, not an act of government fiat.

Which essentially means, if NaPe is such a high and almighty devout Catholic, has she donated her 10% (before taxes and deductions) tithe that God demands to the church every year?

I didn’t think so.

And she is clueless as to why we out here in reality consider her not only an hypocrite, but an alpha female one at that.

10. DavidL says:

It is one thing to respect a person who is consistent in support of set of principles. However what Mrs. Pelosi does is to invent it as she goes along, and calls it religion.

11. Tonie says:

I have to agree with you. But for the record, please don’t frighten us with putting President and Pelosi in the same sentence. I almost passed out.

Oh, and to Carlos above the bible does teach us to take care of the poor in Exodus. It teaches not to glean the fields twice so the poor can eat. I think basic needs like food and water should be provided to those who really need it. The question is how do they pay for all that, and I’m the wrong person to ask. I think it’s wrong that they tax our wages. How can you tax me for doing an honest days work? Can someone explain that to me?

A double-minded man (or, in this case, woman) is unstable in all (her) ways…

Nazi Pelousy is proof of the pudding in this case.

13. nina says:

She needs to be excommunicated ASAP!! Along with all the Kennedys,Kerry and all hypocritical Catholics

14. Amen! Preach it ST!

15. Jo says:

How dare she twist The Word! There are liberal loons and there are liberal loons–she is in a distinctive class all her own. The country will be better off without her on the planet.

16. John says:

This woman is either truly evil or insane.