It’s official: Democrats are hurting Andy Griffith’s reputation

Posted by: ST on September 8, 2010 at 9:28 am

Bad news for America’s favorite sheriff:

Andy Griffith – star of the Andy Griffith Show, a Manteo resident and noted endorser of Democratic causes and candidates – has seen his approval ratings plummet, according to a poll published Tuesday by Raleigh-based Public Policy Polling.

The Democratic pollster found that Griffith’s approval rating has fallen 25 points since 2008. Griffith has been a closer for Democrats, an unimpeachable saintly figure who fills his rare political spots with folksy charm and obvious references to his role as a small-town North Carolina sheriff.

In July he cut an ad for the U.S. government promising “good things” to come from the Democratic-backed health care law. The ad prompted five Republican U.S. senators to accuse the Obama administration of using taxpayer money to bolster his policies.

And as the poll suggests, the ad may have tainted the Griffith brand.

“Clearly it’s pushback from the president’s health care plan,” said Brad Crone, a Democratic consultant who is working with legislative candidates. “It’s a good time to call up Barney Fife.”

LOL. Doesn’t this guy know that it was Andy Taylor who was always coming to Barney’s rescue? :)

In spite of the very misleading ad that Griffith cut for Democrats on the ObamaCare bill, I wouldn’t be able to work myself into any degree of outrage or anger towards Griffith, even if I tried. I don’t think he was trying to deliberately mislead anyone (unlike this administration, on the other hand). Quite frankly, I don’t think he has a deceptive bone in his body, but my judgement could be clouded a bit considering the Andy Griffith show is probably my favorite of all time. ;)

Anyway, he’ll probably see this poll and laugh – and not care at all. He’s his own man who makes his own decisions about who and what to endorse. As the article notes, he’s been endorsing Democrats in this state for decades. My hope is that – assuming the Republicans make significant inroads in the fall elections – that the ensuing debate over whether or not to repeal/repair “ObamaCare” will cause him to change his mind as more and more damaging information emerges about what is in the health care “reform” bill (remember, it had to pass so we could know what was in it! :)) ). If his mind isn’t changed on health care “reform,” I’ll still love him. I’ll just continue to reject his opinions on political issues, as I hope everyone else will.

16 Responses to “It’s official: Democrats are hurting Andy Griffith’s reputation”

Comments

1. Yeah, it’s almost impossible to be mad at Andy Griffith, but it’s no problem disagreeing with him. Celebrity and politics just never seem to mix too well.

2. Phineas says:

Eh. Andy’s just an actor hired to read some lines. I’ve never understood why some people place faith in celebrity endorsements.

Of course, if they had gotten Dawn Wells from Gilligan’s Island, I might be singing a different tune. ;) :">

3. Dante says:

Please. He’s Hollywood liberal to the core.

4. Andy says:

The first time I saw Andy Griffith in anything it was ‘A Face in the Crowd’. He plays an entertainer who has made it big, but privately sneers at his audience. Check it out. Maybe he’s returning to his roots.

5. Jack Deth says:

Hi, all:

I’ve been a fan of Andy Griffith’s since ‘A Face In The Crowd’. He’s a competent actor who has proven that he can play anyone (With his most memorable roles being bad guys) and sell anything (Ritz Crackers)except ObamaCare. :-\”

Too many people have wised up and want no part of this current administration’s plans for our future. :d

Jack.

6. FeFe says:

But will Brad Paisley get called on his promotion of and liberalism too, hand in hand with good ol’ boy Andy?

7. Sefton says:

There’s a scene where Barney is going to show Andy that he can recite the first stanza of the Constitution, and of course, Barney can’t even get “We The People” without Andy giving him each word. It’s a pretty funny scene.
    Perhaps Andy should’ve gone on to Section 1, Article 8 in reference to the Commerce Clause to read how the federal government is limited in its powers to regulate commerce (forcing a purchase regardless of preference) at the state and individual level.
    Maybe Otis or Ernest T. Bass could’ve helped him with that. ;)

8. Iva Biggin says:

Eh, who cares? He’s a washed up old lib just like Opie. Opie can’t create a hit movie and Andy is just senile. No need to pay attention to either.

9. allan says:

Andy’s just another liberal – either ignorant (I’ll give him the benefit of doubt and not call him Stupid) regarding what he’s talking about or just plain disgustingly evil – “I know it’s not good for the country but it’s good for me”.

10. Pagar says:

Democrats hurt America’s reputation all the time and few seem to care.

I really have a hard time saying anything bad about Sheriff Andy or Ben Matlock.

On the other hand, any knothead not up on the Constitution, freedom of choice, government interference where the government ought not to be and who sneers at the rubes who vote ought not to be supported in any way, either.

I’d be among the “disapprove” number in the poll.

12. Joe P. says:

“It’s a good time to call up Barney Fife.”

I’d settle for Howard Sprague.

13. nina says:

He is not only a flaming liberal but a nasty old man.

14. Kate says:

Well, I figure Andy is just like my father, a dyed-in-the-wool democrat for life. He probably loves all the government entitlements because there are so many seniors who are now dependent on them. I see this with many seniors who are reaping the benefits of Medicare and Social Security, confidently thinking all is well as long as I get my check. They rarely look at their grandkids and consider that the other side of the check is a tax bill for them.