Posted by: ST on February 21, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Seeing as the mainstream media  with – sadly – the help of the anti-Santorum Matt Drudge – is waging a full-scale assault on Rick Santorum’s social and religious views (which often go together) in an effort to derail his campaign on the implied basis that Santorum is a fringe freako lunatic who would turn America into a theocracy immediately upon being elected President, it’s important to remember that President Barack Obama used his Christian faith, in part, as a strong basis for some of the policies he’s advocated.

You’re thinking “yeah, right”, right? You don’t just have to take my word on it.  He admitted during the course of his Presidential campaign that he was a strong believer in spiritual mentor Reverend Wright’s message of “social justice” – which should have been a clue to most Americans as to his belief system.  Below are more examples:

March 2008: Then-candidate Obama to a pastor on the issue of gay marriage:

On Sunday in the Appalachian town of Nelsonville, Ohio, where plant closures and the mortgage crisis are rippling through the economy, Pastor Leon Forte aimed his own double barrels at Obama, asking the candidate to explain (a) what he would do about the foreclosure crisis and (b) his faith.

“Your campaign sets a quandary for most evangelical Christians,” Forte, who heads up Grace Christian Center in Athens, Ohio, told Obama. “They believe in the social agenda that you have. They have a problem with what the conservatives have laid out as the moral litmus test about who is worthy and who is not.”

Obama tackled the easy part first -– how to clean up after the burst housing bubble and help struggling Americans keep their homes.

Then he talked about Jesus Christ and his own controversial minister, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. (who has praised Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan), along with same-sex marriage and abortion.

“I am a Christian,” Obama responded in low tones. “I am a devout Christian. I’ve been a member of the same church for 20 years. I pray to Jesus every night and try to go to church as much as I can.”

[…]

Still, he said, “my faith is important to me. It’s not something that I try to push on other people. But it’s something that helps to guide my life and my values.”

While Obama said he does not believe in same-sex marriage, he argued strongly for civil unions that allow same-sex couples to visit each other in the hospital, let them transfer property to each other and protect them from discrimination. “If people find that controversial, then I would just refer them to the Sermon on the Mount, which, I think, is, in my mind, more central than an obscure passage in Romans,” Obama said.

October 2007: Candidate Obama, pandering to a black Christian audience in South Carolina:

During the nearly two hour service that featured a rock band and hip-hop dancers, Obama shared the floor with the church’s pastor, Ron Carpenter. The senator from Illinois asked the multiracial crowd of nearly 4,000 people to keep him and his family in their prayers, and said he hoped to be “an instrument of God.”

“Sometimes this is a difficult road being in politics,” Obama said. “Sometimes you can become fearful, sometimes you can become vain, sometimes you can seek power just for power’s sake instead of because you want to do service to God. I just want all of you to pray that I can be an instrument of God in the same way that Pastor Ron and all of you are instruments of God.”

He finished his brief remarks by saying, “We’re going to keep on praising together. I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth.”

Interestingly enough, from that same CNN piece:

There are times on the stump when Obama even sounds like a pastor himself, referencing New Testament phrases and sometimes saying “I’m not gonna preach to ya!” when emphasizing a point to his audience.

According to the religion-based Web site Beliefnet.com and its “God-o-Meter” tool that measures “God-talk” in the presidential campaigns, Obama invokes religion more than any of his Democratic competitors.

More recently as in a few weeks ago, President Obama went the “Jesus was a liberal” route by asserting that He would be in favor of taxing the rich:

President Barack Obama on Thursday tied his proposal to raise taxes on wealthy Americans to his faith, telling leaders gathered for the National Prayer Breakfast that Jesus’s teachings have shaped that conclusion.

The rich should pay more not only because “I actually think that is going to make economic sense, but for me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus’s teaching that ‘for unto whom much is given, much shall be required,’” Obama said at the Washington Hilton, delivering remarks at an annual event that every president has attended since Dwight D. Eisenhower.

“We can all benefit from turning to our Creator, listening to him,” Obama said. “Avoiding phony religiosity. … This is especially important right now when we’re facing some big challenges as a nation.”

[…]

“When I talk about our financial institutions playing by the same rules as folks on Main Street, when I talk about making sure insurance companies aren’t discriminating against those who are already sick or making sure that unscrupulous lenders aren’t taking advantage of the most vulnerable among us,” Obama said, “I do so because I genuinely believe it will make the economy stronger for everybody, but I also do it because I know far too many neighbors in our country have been hurt and treated unfairly over the last few years. And I believe in God’s command to ‘love thy neighbor as thyself.’”

Where was the red-faced outrage from the left over these remarks? Where has the blood-curdling outrage been from the mainstream media over Obama’s tendency not just to use his twisted interpretation of God’s word as a basis for policy but to, even worse, to cast himself in the role of Jesus Christ?  Oh, they don’t care – because they believe  he’s “The Messiah” as well so  it’s “move along here, nothing to see.”  The double standards are disgusting but not surprising to anyone who has watched the mainstream cover, coddle, and attempt to rehabilitate over and over again the “healer” image both Barack Obama and his wife disturbingly have tried to portray to the American people.

And let’s not forget other high-profile politicos who have tried to use their warped in interpretation of the Word to justify their policy positions on other hot button issues – like  House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has done more than once on the issue of abortion.  Like Senator Babs Boxer has done regarding the issue of “man-made global warming.” I could go on and on, but you get the point.

An important thing to note here is that it’s perfectly ok to have a belief system that has been largely shaped by your religious background, upbringing, and experiences.   It’s also ok for you as a candidate for public office to note publicly that the views you have on a particular issue are based, in part, on your religious influences.  In turn, you should expect to be questioned by all sides when it comes to those views if they conflict with the views of voters and/or are particularly controversial.  Questioning candidates for office is, of course, ok, too.  In turn, candidates need to be prepared to answer those questions, and also need to be prepared for the likelihood that their answers will not please everyone, and will in some cases only lead to more questions.

What’s NOT ok, however, is for left wingers and their allies in the mainstream media to act like only Republicans wear their respective faiths on their sleeves.  So-called “progressive Christians” do this as well, and have done so even more frequently in the last several years as they try to win back “faith-based voters” – and as liberals try to justify their positions using backwards interpretations of scripture, the only people who take them to task for it are people like me who get extremely concerned when they hear both candidates and politicos alike assert a Biblical basis for a policy which doesn’t jive at all with what God’s Word actually says.  On the other hand, though, Christian conservatives like Rick Santorum are called to task for every faith-based assertion ever made, as if they’re secretly planning to make the United States of America a theocratic state — and the answers they give are never good enough to please their critics in the MSM and the Democrat party (but I repeat myself).

Ultimately, the last thing most of us want to see is a battle over religion between presidential candidates in the primaries, and in the general.  But if they are, both sides must be treated equally by both the press and liberal Democrats in order for it to be a fair debate  — which  is never going to happen.  Because it’s ok for liberals to use their interpretation of God’s Word as a basis, in part, to advance a “progressive agenda” of “social justice” (for the cheeeldren!), but it’s “unconstitutional” for Christian social conservatives to do similarly in an attempt to advance a conservative agenda based on traditional American values — “because we must respect the separation of church and state!!!!” ….  or something like that.

Is there any issue, any at all out there, on which liberals have not shown themselves to be wildly  hypocritical about at some point??

19 Responses to “Where’s the MSM/left wing outrage over *BO* using Christianity as a basis for beliefs?”

Comments

1. Eagle's Dominion says:

Well done Sister…Hand Salute!

2. Thanks for sticking up for Rick unlike other conservative bloggers that are chumps.

3. bluespapa says:

Let’s see. One thinks women should have no access to birth control, one thinks it should be free. One thinks amniocentesis is used to encourage abortion, one thinks it and other prenatal care should be available to pregnant women. How much do I care that one is a conservative Catholic, and the other a liberal Protestant? Hmm. And, of course, one wants to regulate banking, and the other follows orthodox Republican line and sees all regulation as dangerous to the economy. It’s hard to understand how the mess we currently suffer through is the result of regulators doing their jobs.

I’ll bite. It’s shocking–shocking–that politicians justify their political policies with religion, references to the Bible, and theology. I can’t wait to have a politician to vote for that doesn’t.

4. Drew the Infidel says:

Today is Ash Wednesday. Let’s see how many of this crowd dares to show up having received the imposition of ashes. For all his many other faults, I seem to remember VP Biden having the temerity to do so.

5. Ken says:

Not every Christian denomination observes Ash Wednesday. So the absence of ash marks on foreheads may not mean much.

6. PE says:

The MSM sees Rick Santorum as the anti-Obama and therefore he is their enemy and he must be vanquished by whatever means they have and the means they have are words and they will use words to have their faithful rise up against him. Damned if I know what to do about it.

7. Kate says:

I have never heard any candidate say women should not have access to birth control….where did you hear that bluespapa? Give me a link, please.

Point in fact, women have access to any kind of women’s healthcare issue if they so choose….PP touts that…they fall back on that when they are called out for doing abortions.

I always thought this country was all about standing on your convictions and being allowed to live them out. As it seems today, we have a lot of talkers and few walkers. The point is Obama HOPES that many people really didn’t listen to him on these points. To him “religion” is just brought along on the campaign trail to sooth those progressive religious sorts into a stupor. The entitlement junkies will of course vote for him no matter what because they vote their meal tickets.

As long as the MSM tut-tuts at those wacky Christians, well, we will be looked upon as such. It is time for those of us to believe to stand on our convictions and call out those who put us down for what we believe. I daresay, that would shock them! We have the truth on our side, it is time we all acted that way. Spread truth, shine a light on lies, and stand firm…that’s all God asks of us. The eternal rewards are well worth it than the adoration of the world.

8. tj says:

I’d fully expect that a President bring his values to the job whether those values are faith based or not. I’d also expect that every President since Washington has had a belief or two that the majority of the U.S. population didn’t share.

What I consider to be critical in a politician however, is the ability to acknowledge that people in good conscience can disagree. There is too much gridlock at both the state and federal levels because of a tendency to vilify the other side.

When you go around saying things like Satan is at work in the Protestant church, that IMO makes you unfit for the Presidency. We’ve always been a country with a variety of faiths. We need to be able to work with each other.

9. Tango says:

10. Kate says:

He sat under Rev. Wright – A Black Liberation Theologist. This is a distortion of Christianity and part of the Post Modern view of Christian theology. No one in the MSM has the will to investiage this, but many Evangelical and Catholics understand how they have twisted the Truth to tickle their ears. It’s what keeps people in the pews in many inner city mega churchs.

11. tj says:

Tango wrote:

“In June of 2008, Barry proclaimed his belief that “there are many paths to God.” Folks, this is the same New Age twaddle being pushed by Oprah Winfrey. And it is precisely because of this that I remain extremely skeptical of Barry’s self-proclamation that he is a Christian.”

So which path is the right one?

Catholic? Lutheran? Methodist? Anglican? Eastern Orthodox? Reform Judasim?, Orthodox Judasim? Mormonism? Baptist?

The path to redemption is not necessarily the same amongst those I’ve listed and of course the country is made of people of a much larger array of faiths.

12. Sefton says:

So which path is the right one?

If one is a Christian, they believe John 14:6
    “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” – Jesus Christ

13. tj says:

Sefton said:

If one is a Christian, they believe John 14:6

Well, that leaves out any Jewish folks (and a bunch of others).

It should also be pointed out that while both Catholics and Protestants agree that the path to redemption lies through the belief in Jesus Christ, Catholics take it further. If you die with unconfessed/unforgiven mortal sins, you don’t go to heaven, regardless of your belief in Jesus.

My point is that although a lot of U.S citizens identify themselves as Christians, we do not all share the same faith.

Further, while it’s fine and proper to govern based on your values. It is not fine to associate beliefs that are different from yours to Satan.

14. thoughtful yankee says:

OK, it’s absolutely Ok to have your own set of beliefs-here’s the kicker-they belong to you not to me. I’m no lover of the Catholic Church as an organization. However it does insprire and support many. There was a very good reason the founding father’s specifically seperated church and state. For example without that seperation the prosecution of members of the Catholic clergy would have been absolutely impossible and the Lord is probably wondering about that. I want an elected official who does not believe his faith is superior to my beliefs and faith. Tread lightly…before God.

15. Sefton says:

Well, that leaves out any Jewish folks (and a bunch of others).

These Jewish folks would disagree… http://jewsforjesus.org/
    I’m sure everyone is aware of not only different religions but different doctrinal tenets within the same religion. If you want to throw in pantheists and other cults, you can also toss them into the picture.
    But the bottom line is that once a person (regardless of citizenship) receives the Lord Jesus Christ into their heart and believes His Word, then they negate that belief if they start falling for the “many paths” mantra. That’s false doctrine. Why else did Christ die on the cross if there are multiple paths? I don’t care what denomination one falls under, if you deny the work of Christ on the cross as the way of salvation, you are denying Him.

16. Kate says:

Jesus was Jewish and was preaching to his Jewish contemporaries. So they were the first ones in line to hear the good news! Praise God many recieved it and became the fathers of the early Christian church.

Over time men have altered the intial message and played with theology to fit today’s postmodern agenda and many today don’t know church history.