Time to revive the 24 open threads!! New season starts at 8pm ET. Woooohooo!
This is super awesome to hear:
South Carolina Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy, a former federal prosecutor known for his aggressive style of questioning at congressional hearings, has been tapped to lead a select committee tasked with investigating the 2012 Benghazi attacks.
House Speaker John Boehner made the announcement Monday afternoon.
“With four of our countrymen killed at the hands of terrorists, the American people want answers, accountability, and justice,” he said. “Trey Gowdy is as dogged, focused, and serious-minded as they come.”
Boehner said Gowdy’s courtroom background makes him the “ideal person” to lead the newly announced investigation.
Gowdy said in a statement he was “honored” to serve as chairman. “While people are free to draw different conclusions from the facts, there should be no debate over whether the American public is entitled to have all of the facts,” he said.
Gowdy’s name had been high on the short list ever since the speaker announced Friday he would call a House vote on forming a select committee. Boehner had long resisted calls for such a probe, but reversed course after newly released emails raised questions about the White House role in shaping the administration’s public narrative after the attack.
But Gowdy seemed to attract the most attention. Gowdy is a second-term lawmaker, a former district attorney and federal prosecutor, and a member of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.
I.can’t.wait. This guy is as tough as they make them and he is not cowed by cries of “racism!” or “distraction!” He tells it straight like it is. I can think of few politicos in Congress who possess more of a dogged determination than him. If that’s not enough for you, Congressman Issa – who has also been a warrior on the issue of Benghazi – praised his appointment to the select committee:
Issa, though, praised the selection on Monday, saying Boehner “could not have chosen a Member more committed to getting the full truth about the before, during, and after of the Benghazi terrorist attacks than Congressman Trey Gowdy.”
Finally, at long last, the American people – and more importantly, the families of the victims – may soon have answers.
**Posted by Phineas
And not a demonstration. I don’t know how I missed this over the weekend (1), but the administration’s favorite investigative reporter, Sharyl Attkisson, posted this little bombshell to her site back on the 1st (via Hot Air):
Internal Emails: State Dept. Immediately Attributed Benghazi Attacks to Terrorist Group
A newly-released government email indicates that within hours of the Sept. 11, 2012 attacks on Americans in Benghazi, Libya; the State Department had already concluded with certainty that the Islamic militia terrorist group Ansar al Sharia was to blame.
The private, internal communication directly contradicts the message that President Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Susan Rice and White House press secretary Jay Carney repeated publicly over the course of the next several weeks. They often maintained that an anti-Islamic YouTube video inspired a spontaneous demonstration that escalated into violence.
The email is entitled “Libya update from Beth Jones. ” Jones was then-Assistant Secretary of State to Hillary Clinton. According to the email, Jones spoke to Libya’s Ambassador at 9:45am on Sept. 12, 2012 following the attacks.
“When [the Libyan Ambassador] said his government suspected that former Qaddafi regime elements carried out the attacks, I told him the group that conducted the attacks—Ansar Al Sharia—is affiliated with Islamic extremists,” Jones reports in the email.
There is no uncertainty assigned to the assessment, which does not mention a video or a protest. The State Department provided the email to Congress in Aug. of 2013 under special conditions that it not be publicly released at that time. Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) sought and received permission to release it Thursday.
“If the video was a cause, why did Beth Jones of the State Department tell the Libyan Ambassador that Ansar Al Sharia was responsible for the attack?” said Chaffetz.
Gosh, that’s a darned good question Rep. Chaffetz asks. Do you think the forthcoming House special investigative committee on the Benghazi massacre might want to ask that of Ms. Jones, too?
There’s much more in the article about the origin of the controversial “talking points” and the subsequent effort to push the false narrative about a video being the goad for the attack, but I want to draw your attention to the routing of Jones’ email. These are the people copied in:
Among those copied on the emails: Deputy Secretary William Burns; Under Secretary for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman; Jake Sullivan, then-Deputy Chief of Staff (now promoted to national security advisor to Vice President Joe Biden); Under Secretary of State Patrick Kennedy; Cheryl Mills, then-Secretary Clinton’s Chief of Staff (now on the board of directors of the global investment firm BlackRock); and Victoria Nuland, then-State Dept. spokesperson (now promoted to Asst. Secretary of State).
Note particularly the name of Cheryl Mills. We’ve met her before, a couple of times. A longtime Clintonista, she has the reputation of being “Hillary’s fixer.” She was also, as Attkisson reminds us, the Secretary’s chief of staff. If Mills had this information, not to mention the other bigwigs on that list, then it is inconceivable that Hillary herself did not know that it was her department’s firm opinion that the attack was caused by Ansar al Sharia. Add this to the fact that she spoke with the Deputy Chief of Mission in Libya that night and then think about her promising the bereaved relatives of the victims, just a few days later and as their bodies were being delivered home, that the US would get the video maker. (2)
This wasn’t a case of honestly believing something that turned out to be false. Hillary Clinton was lying to heartbroken people and knew she was lying.
I can’t wait for these hearings to get started. Hillary is going to find out that, at this point, the truth still makes a difference.
RELATED: More Attkisson – Did Tommy “Dude” Vietor contradict the sworn testimony of White House officials? Must-read: Andy McCarthy on the AWOL President. More McCarthy: “Why I should not be the select committee’s special counsel.” Jonah Goldberg: “Benghazi made simple.”
UPDATE: Changed the headline to be a bit more accurate.
(1) Sharyl really needs to get an RSS feed going for her site.
(2) In fact, the very evening of the attack, she put out a press release blaming the video, after she had talked with President Obama, a conversation the contents of which we still do not know.
(Crossposted at Public Secrets)
And no surprise it’s a left-leaning newspaper’s editorial board. Via Fox News:
A Republican Senate candidate was kicked out of a local Oregon newspaper’s editorial board meeting after daring to challenge a reporter who dissed a fellow candidate by writing “blah blah blah” in his notes instead of her actual quotes.
The entire argument was captured on video and posted online by the newspaper, Willamette Week.
The Republican candidate, Mark Callahan, told Fox News that the newspaper was on a “power trip.”
“It’s a fairly liberal paper. And they were basically trying to manhandle us Republicans,” Callahan said Sunday. “They were very condescending, very controlling.”
The video shows an editorial board meeting where the newspaper was interviewing Republican candidates for Senate. One of those candidates, Jo Rae Perkins, was responding to a question over the phone when Callahan noticed something was amiss.
“You want to talk about disrespect, I see what you’re writing down there,” he said, pointing at a reporter at the table. “You just wrote down ‘blah blah blah blah blah’ for everything that Jo Rae said. Jo Rae is a respectable woman. Why are you not respecting her by writing ‘blah blah blah blah blah’ on your notepad?”
The moderator tried to get Callahan to “move on” and answer a question about whether climate change is a “myth or a reality.”
Callahan said “myth.”
Then, the same reporter, later identified by the newspaper as Nigel Jaquiss, asked him a follow-up: “Where are you on the Easter Bunny?”
“What’s that?” Callahan said, and the reporter repeated the question.
The interview really went downhill from there.
Make sure to read the whole thing. The paper acknowledged that Jaquiss wrote “blah blah blah” for an “answer” to one of Perkins’ questions, but they said it was because she wasn’t answering the question they asked. I’m guessing they weren’t asked about his “Easter bunny” question, which to me was equally disrespectful.
I’m not saying the paper shouldn’t have been trying to get the candidates to focus on the actual questions, but Jaquiss’ lack of professionalism was unacceptable – and for the paper to try and justify his behavior by blaming it all on the candidates just shows how seriously you should take the editorial board. Which is to say … not at all.
Hot Air’s Jazz Shaw adds:
I’ve had to sit through a few of these over the years with candidates and they can be really infuriating events, but even in New York I’ve never run into one quite this bad. But we can’t let that discourage people from running for office. All we can do is return to the age old question which really spawned the evolution of modern blogging in the first place…
Why, oh why, can’t we have a decent media?
(Hat tip: Memeorandum)