Via the AP:
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip – The new Palestinian interior minister named a well-known militant as his top aide on Thursday and announced the formation of a new security branch to be composed of militants.
The moves were part of an ongoing power struggle between the new Hamas-led Cabinet and moderate Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
Interior Minister Said Siyam issued a decree appointing Jamal Abu Samhadana, the head of the Popular Resistance Committees, as director general of the Interior Ministry. Samhadana’s group is responsible for many of the homemade rockets launched at Israel in recent weeks.
None of that is actually shocking, but I felt like being sarcastic with the title
First things first, it’s not shocking that the AP would use the term “militants” to describe terrorists (militants is much more of a kinder word than “terrorists” so …). Second, it’s not surprising to anyone who’s been paying attention to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict over the last, oh, few decades that a Hamas-led gov’t would appoint a terrorist as a “top aide” and form a “security branch” that would include terrorists just like the new “aide.” Third, not shocking that the AP describes Mahmoud Abbas as a moderate because he’s really not a moderate.
Charlie at OPFOR rewrites the opener as it should have read:
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip – The new Palestinian interior minister named a well-known terrorist as his top aide on Thursday and announced the formation of a new security branch to be composed of terrorists.
Read more via Meryl Yourish.
See also Atlas Shrugs, who has a post up about Hamas-friendly Muslims – who are serving in the Israeli gov’t.
Related Toldjah So posts:
- Iran and Hamas: tag team terror partners
- Become a suicide bomber – it’s FUN!
- Jimmy Carter: Once more on the side of the Palestinians
- NYT denounces US, Israel on handling of Hamas – but praises Putin
- House Republican to introduce bill to slash PA funding
- Hamas leader won’t change attitude towards Israel
- LATimes channels Jimmy Carter on Hamas
- Bad news for the Middle East – Hamas wins Palestinian elections
- Jimmy Carter and the “so-called terrorists”
- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon suffers severe stroke
- UN Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People