In a nutshell, why the prospect of an Obama presidency is so troubling

Posted by: ST on October 26, 2008 at 11:03 am

If you’re like me, you wake up every morning, get ready for your day, and among other things you have on your mind, you think about the prospect of an Obama presidency. You think about what the next four years could be like in terms of policy, in terms of the direction he – along with a Democratic majority, perhaps a supermajority in Congress – will take us if he’s elected.

And then you think about the wild fanaticism, a fanaticism that even some conservative/conservative-leaning and Republican thinkers have gotten caught up in. And it bothers you. A great deal. Will there even be a debate in this country anymore, with so many caught up in the celebrity that is Obama, including the unquestioning mainstream media? Would there even be a seat at the table for conservative ideas anymore under an Obama presidency/Democrat Congress? He’s talked often of a willingness to “reach across the aisle” but considering he’d have a strong party majority in both houses if elected, and as I’ve noted before, there won’t be much of a need to do so. You think about the lasting legacy of a potential Obama presidency, an impact that some conservative writers have suggested would be similar to FDR’s in terms of the difficulty the nation would have in terms of undoing some of what’s been done.

Add to that the concern over how often would questioning an Obama administration be twisted into a allegations of racism. We’ve seen it repeatedly throughout this campaign season, not just from the Obama himself and some of his prominent supporters, but from opinion writers, and some in the not-so-objective mainstream media. It’s almost as if Obama supporters both in the campaign, in the mainstream and opinion media, and in America, feel that behind every criticism of him there is an underlying subtext of racism (and let’s not forget Joe Biden’s comments last week about how undecideds were, essentially, fighting their inner racist in deciding whether or not to vote for Obama). How many Americans would fear questioning an Obama administration on that basis? How many independent groups would fear questioning him due to worries that there may be legal repercussions as we’ve seen demonstrated by the Obama campaign before?

Read Mark Levin this morning. He addresses all this and more in a post that a lot of us can identify with as it relates to feeling like over the last year and a half we’ve almost been living in an alternative universe as it relates to the fanaticism that surrounds Obama. Sometimes it feels surreal. Sometimes it feels like a nightmare, and one that may become a reality after next Tuesday. Levin points out that America can survive an Obama presidency but that “it will do so, in many respects, as a different place.”

Sobering, yet at the same time, mobilizing.

Via Memeorandum.

Cross-posted to Right Wing News, where I am helping guestblog for John Hawkins on Sundays.

14 Responses to “In a nutshell, why the prospect of an Obama presidency is so troubling”

Comments

1. Tom TB says:

All prospects of an Obama presidency are troubling. No one gets as far as he has gotten on their own, with such a slim record of personal accomplishments; therefore he has to be a puppet. We will vote M&P, and if God forbid ObamaOBiden are elected, it will be time to go into a survival mode.

2. Nina says:

I find incredible that a former druggie has not been made to release his medical records. Does he has hepatitis from drug use? How about his smoking? Recent chest X-ray?
    How about his college records- Did he received financial aid because he could be a minority like a black muslim? A foreigner? His thesis? His school associations?

Who has vetted this man to make sure he is American born? They turned dow a lawsuit because an American citizen does not have standing? If we don’t who does?

3. Dana says:

I guess that I am less worried about an Obama presidency than some conservatives, not because I like him or think that he’s a good man, but because I see the next president as being extremely limited in his room to maneuver.

If Mr Obama wins, our taxes will go way up, regardless of what he has promised — and we all knew that he was lying through his scummy teeth — but if John McCain wins, our taxes will go up as well: the plan of the Democrats in Congress is simply to let the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts expire. It was President Bush’s greatest failing not to get those rates made permanent; now the Democrats can have their big tax increase without having to actually do anything. But the size of the deficit, compounded by the financial bailout, will seriously limit the Democrats’ ability to get too wild with spending.

Perhaps Mr Obama would like to try some socialist redistribution of wealth iand income, but he’ll have a real problem: too many Democrats have money, too, and they don’t want to see their wealth and income seized. The Jewish community, in particular, though a major Democratic voting bloc, has no desire to see their hard work and success “redistributed” to others, and the Jewish community has long been the Democrats’ strongest contributor base.

Nor do Democratic congressmen want to see a repeat of 1994, where a Democratic president who campaigned as a moderate went seriously to the left once in office, and it was the Democrats in Congress who paid the price, with their seats!

The biggest problems I see are in foreign policy, where Mr Obama would simply surrender to the Islamists. Just how big a surrender that is will determine whether Israel will have to step in with nuclear weapons.

4. nolanimrod says:

Dear Sis,

Don’t let getting called a racist throw you. The word has become a very effective weapon. Al Capone had to threaten to burn down or blow up a store for the owner to pay him protection money. All Jackson, Sharpton, et alhave to do is threaten to call you a racist.In your case, or the case of anyone who says anything not entirely laudatory of The Onethe weapon is meant to elicit, not money, but silence. Works, doesn’t it? But at least they’ve lowered the racism bar. One used to have to get all mean and frothy and use all sorts of disagreeable language to get called a racist. Now “community organizer” or “socialist” or even mentioning a candidate’s middle name will do it. And I’m all in favor of making things easier for people.

5. Tango says:

In the words of John Rambo, “nothing is OVER!!!” I refuse to accept this election as being a fait accompli for BarryO and the likes of Mme Pelosi and Pinky Reid.

Just say NO to socialism!!! **==**==**==**==

Yet another reason to vote against Barry.

From the Washington Post:

UNITED NATIONS — There are no “Obama 2008″ buttons, banners or T-shirts visible here at U.N. headquarters, but it might be difficult to find a sliver of territory in the United States more enthusiastic over the prospect of the Illinois senator winning the White House.

LINK

- Lorica

7. NC Cop says:

Conservatives who are skeptical of the United Nations said they are not surprised by the political tilt. “The fact is that most conservatives, most Republicans don’t worship at the altar in New York, and I think that aggravates them more than anything else,” said John R. Bolton, a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. “What they want is the bending of the knee, and they’ll get it from an Obama administration.”

Well said, John. I only hope this country realizes it before it’s too late.

8. Debra B says:

I’m hoping the PUMAs pounce on election day. I am frightened of an Obama presidency. When Republicans try to speak the truth, we are the bad guys because the MSM hasn’t brought out any of Obama’s radical associations or socialist ideas. Now that we are speaking the truth, we’re the crazy ones. In reality we are simply speaking the truth. Its sad that the most liberal and radical candidate in the history of the US is not being vetted by the MSM. Where are the investigative reporters?

9. Baklava says:

ST, It is over for Barack if they report this

10. Kimberly says:

Sista … check out the Drudge headline. New audiotape discovered of Obama back in 2001 talking about redistributing wealth by changing the courts/constitution. Much more damaging than Joe the Plumber slip.

11. Steve Skubinna says:

Tango, in the immortal words of Senator John Blutarski,

12. Severian says:

“Nothing’s over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?” – John Blutarski

“When FDR went on the TV in 1929…” – Joe Biden

Life imitates art again. :d

13. nottydreads (aka 'This One') says:

As a lone voice in this neck of the woods, I can relate to some of your concerns. Many of you tend to over-react, but that is to be expected as the prospect of a “newness” dawns upon all of us. While I’m not yet assuming an Obama victory, it doesn’t seem impossible, TSTL.

I’m a supporter of the Obama candidacy and I have no blinders on that disallow me to see some of it’s problems. But the problems that I foresee have nothing to do with William Ayers, Reverend Wright, or an Arabic name. Yes, his name is Arabic, NOT Muslim, as so many are wont to insist. Those, to me, are convenient distractions. In my 40plus years as an American, I’ve heard some of the same and more. It hasn’t stopped me from living within the laws and staying out of prison. It hasn’t stopped me from serving in the US Air Force in defense of my country. It hasn’t stopped me from raising two college-educated sons. It hasn’t stopped me from loving a wife of a different race, or her family, who hasn’t always loved me in return.

The problem of many Americans to see a leader who DOESN’T look like their father or brother, or pastor, or boss…is not insignificant to me. If I thought that, then logic would follow that the opposite would also be true. But it is also important that White Americans learn that leadership need not have to look like them in order to have the best interests of America at heart. Yeah, I know I’ll hear that race has nothing to do with anything, too. But just humor me for a moment and imagine that it does. This state of comfort as it is, in and of itself, does not equal to MORE when it comes to having the best interests of America in mind anymore than blackness points to anything ominous.

There is much in place in our system of governance to assuage any feelings us of becoming something else, something that we are not. Barack Obama, as does I, knows the inherent advantages of our political system and our way of life. A comment here or there taken out of context can’t change what real day-to-day experience over a life-time has instilled.