Will “Occupy Charlotte” be the first big city “Occupy” that will implode?

Posted by: ST on October 20, 2011 at 10:45 pm

The things I do for my readers.

I’ve spent the last few hours doing some pretty interesting investigating into and conversing with (via Twitter) some members of the local “Occupy Charlotte” movement. The movement at its largest has been, according to local estimates, between 300 to 500 – and that’s been on the weekend. During the week, the “occupiers” have been camping out at Old City Hall Uptown. There are some 30 tents, and the workweek-day crowd estimates are around 40. Not surprising since most “oppressed” people have to work M-F, or go to school.

What I discovered tonight is that the local movement is being overseen, supported, and monitored by the notoriously evil global “hacktivist” cyber terrorist Anonymous group. There were numerous attempts at dodging and weaving about the association but in the end, screencaps don’t lie (yes, I’ve got screen caps). I’ve even got documentation of a creepy threat that was issued directly from a local “Anon” to someone who acted in a “spokesperson” role of sorts early on – a person who has now been “exiled” from the group for alleged shady fundraising practices and for alleged “threats” made to Occupy Charlotte campers – threats that apparently couldn’t be reported to the Charlotte Police Department which is …. right across the street from the camp, and which more or less provides security to the camp day and night.

PLEASE let me be the first to say that if said threats WERE made to the Occupy camp by the former self-described “spokesman” as have been alleged, the moron issuing the threats has to be a couple fries short of a Happy Meal for threatening folks PERIOD, but especially right in front of the CMPD. But that being said, an Anonymous hacktivist threat in response, which was posted on YouTube, is an outrageous attempt at rogue-style intimidation/retaliation. What IS this? The Wild West? These alleged threats, again, should have been reported to the police instead of being “handled internally” – unless Occupy Charlotte is trying to go the way of Occupy Baltimore with their own internal judge and jury system …

ANYWAY, the internal problems appear to have led to a state of disarray within the local (to this point non-violent, thankfully) movement as it works its social media angles to try and drum up support. The Twitter hashtag (scroll!) and Facebook pages for this group have been heavy battle zones. Dissention is high. That said, I’m honestly shocked Occ Charlotte doesn’t at the very least look like Occupy Wall Street every day of the week, considering Charlotte is the evil BOA’s HQ and the 2nd (?) largest banking city in America. I mean, the hippie commune atmosphere you see at OWS should pale in comparison to what is seen here, but it hasn’t taken root to the degree I thought it would. Maybe it will in a few weeks as right now the local movement is in its infant stage. Of course, it’s getting colder here too so that will probably impact the numbers of “occupiers.” Add to that the fact that the city does not seem to be keen on budging on their stance that Occupy Charlotte should not be issued a permit to be able to have portapotties on site because it’s against city code (trust me – that has been a HUGE issue).

Some in this local movement appear to support the “support” the Anons are giving them and the entire “Occupy” movement on the whole across the nation (and in fact worldwide) and see nothing wrong with it. However, I suspect some folks don’t have a clue what “Anon” is, let alone know of its affiliation with Occupy Charlotte and the broader Occupy movement. I feel a certain loyalty to the locals here, even if I don’t always agree with them, and it pains me to think they’re being hoodwinked into thinking this movement is about them. If “Anons” indeed are overseeing, monitoring, and supporting Occupy movements – even if covertly – then it becomes about the Anon agenda, not the Average Frustrated Joe’s agenda (they can be two entirely different things). And as much as I disagree with the Occupy Agenda and know that some people are in it just to see what’s in it for them, I realize that there are some well-meaning people who are just frustrated in general who at the same time can be hopelessly naive (I know this – I used to be a liberal, remember?) who want to be a part of something in order to try and make a difference.

Sigh.

Anyway, I hope this made sense. And I sure as heck hope hackers don’t target my site. But if they do, it’s pretty obvious where to look first.

12 Responses to “Will “Occupy Charlotte” be the first big city “Occupy” that will implode?”

Comments

1. Sam says:

Sister:
    Not a bad article. Especially the part where you suggest Charlotte should be ahead of the game because of global importance. That hit the nail on the head. You know where our differences would be, so I will leave that alone.

My hope is for the movement to move forward and become stronger because of the turmoil. It is time for the movement to take form in Charlotte. The Occupy Movements will not be hijacked or co-opt by any group or party. These groups and parties stand with us, the 99%, in solidarity.

In closing, you said nothing that would put your site in any danger from Anonymous, so rest easy. They are certainly not after you.

Your Friend, whether you believe me or not,
    Sam

2. I’ve been following your twitter feed and the Occupy’s for Raleigh and Charlotte.

Charlotte I think has more occupiers because for one it is bigger than raleigh and two, raleigh is competing with #OccupyStateFair. LOL

The anon thing going on in Charlotte with that rather Orwellian exiling scene gave me the creeps. Perhaps AMC should use it for FearFest this year.

3. ST says:

Lady Liberty – for some reason I was thinking Occupy Raleigh had more, considering the all the colleges, etc in the area?

Either way, the “movement” is not all that big here – yet. That, of course, may change. We’ll see.

4. Thom Shope says:

Some of these issues you described here are the reason were having all this trouble. These alleged social network terrorist. Anonymous did not start this movement here in Charlotte. I did initially and then gained the support of my local friends and business owners. True I used some of the anonymous videos available on youtube to pass along information I felt was useful but I omitted the violent, rabid, That seem to promote violence and hatred. I myself have business here in town and am proud of Charlotte, NC. It’s one of the reasons I wanted to facilitate and ensure a long term peaceful protest. To educate the public and protesters on the proper procedures how to do that. Last I wanted to use the protest to raise the level of awareness in America, Of what’s going on with our government and multinational corporations.
    There have been no threats from us We‘re going through the proper channels to deal with the threats my family and myself have had ! There has been a resistance to what this group has become. How does a leaderless depose a leader if there aren’t any ? How does 40-50 people form a consensus, when 400-500 people who come show support are the consensus ?
    Hopefully we will be able to endure and form a movement which is in the spirits of the wall st. Movement. I personally was just trying to emulate what I witnessed and duplicate it without all the missteps Thank you for your story

Thom, you really should study human nature a little bit more. You may discover that, even with the best of intentions, those that believe the good of mankind will win over the evil without a framework of justice/punishment is doomed to be overrun by those who will appreciate the work you’ve done but will turn the protests violent to satisfy their own blood lusts and desires to control the flow of humanity because of deep-seated narcissism and the lust for power.

In other words, the “protests” are simply a staging ground for wannabee dictators to screw around with folks who believe that material wealth should be earned, not stolen.

6. Steph says:

Dumb question here: what are “screen caps”? Thanks in advance.

7. betty says:

Mr.Shope has threatened occupiers and tried to make money off the movement, which is the very antithesis of what the movement is about. If he really cared about OWS like he says he does, why did he never march with the people on Saturdays? Why did he never camp? He wants all the attention to go to him, NOT what is being accomplished. He chose to try to divide Occupy Charlotte, rather than to try to compromise and be open. Yes, he got the first GA off the ground, but then he got power hungry and refused to listen to others opinions. But enough about him. Yes, ST, you mock us, you deride us with scorn, but are you a millionaire? If not, you are probably one of us. We are students, professors, veterans, construction workers, parents, restaurant workers, business owners. We are as varied as this country. Many of us work 2 or 3 jobs, just to pay the bills.All we want is a fair shot. I think that’s pretty American. We all know our country has gone off the rails, whether you are Republican or Democrat or neither. We all know that corporations have too much influence over our government. Wall Street has gambled with our money and lost. It’s time for us to unite and stand up and say “no more”. And that is what we’re trying to do.

8. Dawn says:

@Carlos, very well said and I was very happy to see you there for the movement today.

@Steph, a shot or picture of the screen is a screen cap(ture) or more commonly called a screenshot Here is an example:

LINK

And lastly @Thom, that screenshot makes it awfully hard to say you went through the propper channels.

@Betty: It seems to me that if the protesters were “…students, professors, veterans, construction workers, parents, restaurant workers, business owners,” that “work two or three jobs just to pay the bills,” there would be little time to camp out for four or five days, let alone four or five weeks at a time. And in your screed about greedy corporations, do you include the unions? After all, they got as much of the stimulus (theft of tax) money (political graft payoff, IMHO) as those greedy capitalists.

Or maybe they don’t work at all?

And I appreciate the kudo for being at the movement today, Dawn, but I was at the other end of the country. Working to pay bills.

10. Dawn says:

Sorry, wrong Carlos.

Betty is right though and her description is apt of both those camping and those not. Many of the occupiers(onsite) come and go to jobs and school. It is about priorities, you make time for what is important to you. And to most of the occupiers, changing the way our government operates, is important to them. Important enough to give up the comforts of home.
    As for unions, I personally believe they should be allowed to exist, without being impeded by corps or govt and for the purpose of collective bargaining etc. but I also believe they should not get financial support from govt and nor should they be allowed give financial support to campaigns. But that is just my personal opinion on unions. And I am fully in support of MAJOR, from the ground up campaign finance reform. Including an amendment to correct the Citizens United decision.

11. jason says:

I would be happy to re-present the whole case including documentation to the LARGEST GA we can assemble. However our GA is now rebuilding from the rift you have caused. If you ever came to assemblies you would know that. Ownership of our name as a private business, and accepting donation in that name is in direct conflict of our movements stance on financial transparency. I also love the statement that we’re a “false flag operation” co-opted by ANON. Too bad we don’t have internet here. Keep telling the media you own us. Keep up the statements of frustrated anger. The occupiers need the laughs.

@carlos I’ve got 2 jobs and own a local business. Full time occupier still paying for my empty house.