The United Nations is blaming Israel for the Palestinian ‘humanitarian crisis’. Via AP:
JERUSALEM (AP) – The United Nations blamed Israel for a burgeoning humanitarian crisis, including deaths, injuries and harm to children, from its offensive in Gaza in a strong statement released Saturday.
The three-page statement, listing charges separately from six UN-affiliated agencies, called for “urgent action” to halt the rapid deterioration. Israel rejected the charges.
The statement charged that Israel’s military offensive has caused mass violations of human rights of civilians in Gaza. Some result from an Israeli attack that destroyed the main Gaza power station, others from the closing of vital crossing points and the rest from military operations, it said.
The world body expressed alarm over events in Gaza “which have seen innocent civilians, including children, killed, brought increased misery to hundreds of thousands of people and which will wreak far-reaching harm on Palestinian society.”
Among the specific issues listed, the statement said Gaza is “on the bring of a public health disaster,” including a shortage of medicines. Also, children in Gaza “are living in an environment of extraordinary violence, insecurity and fear.”
The Palestinians received a slap on the wrist from the UN:
In one of the six sections, from the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the statement faults the Palestinians while implying that Israel is hitting civilians on purpose. “The prohibition on targeting civilians is also being violated by Palestinian armed groups, launching missiles from the Gaza Strip into Israel, and must therefore end,” it said.
The UN document does not mention the incident that set off the Israeli operation – a June 25 attack by Palestinian militants who tunnelled under the border into Israel and attacked an army post, killing two soldiers and capturing a third.
I’m sure Jimmy Carter will be pleased to hear this.
- Palestinian terrorists feel the pressure from Israel
- Islamic scholars will issue pro-Hamas fatwa
- Shocking news â€¦
- Iran and Hamas: tag team terror partners
- Become a suicide bomber – it’s FUN!
- Jimmy Carter: Once more on the side of the Palestinians
- NYT denounces US, Israel on handling of Hamas – but praises Putin
- House Republican to introduce bill to slash PA funding
- Hamas leader won’t change attitude towards Israel
- LATimes channels Jimmy Carter on Hamas
- Bad news for the Middle East – Hamas wins Palestinian elections
- Jimmy Carter and the “so-called terrorists”
- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon suffers severe stroke
- UN Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People