Raleigh — New ethics charges have been filed by the State Bar accusing Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong of withholding DNA evidence and misleading the court in the Duke lacrosse case.
The amended complaint cites findings from April 2006 that DNA tests found on the alleged accuser excluded all of the Duke lacrosse players as potential contributors.
The complaint also states Nifong was told of the test results by Brian Meehan, the director of the DNA company where the tests were performed.
According to the complaint, during one of the meetings in April, Nifong and Meehan agreed that the findings would only include “tests for which DNA found on specific evidence match or was consistent with DNA from known reference specimens.”
The amended complaint also states that the “potentially exculpatory DNA evidence and test results” would not be provided to defense attorneys.
The State Bar also cited dozens of pretrial comments Nifong made to the media early on in the case. On March 13, 2006, a woman, who was working as an exotic dancer, claims she was assaulted by three men during an off-campus party in March involving members of the Duke lacrosse team.
This is major. I see Nifong being disbarred, because I think the evidence is pretty clear cut. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Fanning racial tensions in this state, falsely accusing people who apparently aren’t guilty of anything other than hiring two strippers to come to their frat party of rape, destroying their lives, all in order to get reelected. The credibility of a lot of self-righteous ‘crusaders’ in this case has been shot, and it’s not just Nifong’s, but so many others, too, as Gail Heriot at The Right Coast blog explains.
- Breaking news: Nifong asks to be recused from Duke lacrosse rape case
- More bad news for Mike Nifong
- North Carolina state bar files ethics complaint against Durham DA Mike Nifong
- Nifong drops (rape) charges against Duke lacrosse players
- A tale of two alleged gang rape cases in Durham, NC
- Duke lacrosse defense team: DNA from OTHER men found on alleged “rape victim”
- Duke lacrosse rape case – more updates
- Revealing court filing in Duke lacrosse rape case
- Thomas Sowell puts Duke rape case in historical context
- Duke lacrosse rape case updates
- No indictments today in Duke lacrosse case
- Rev. Jackson offers scholarship to accuser in alleged Duke lacrosse rape case
- Are the Duke lacrosse players innocent?