Posted by: ST on January 24, 2007 at 10:24 am

Via WRAL:

Raleigh — New ethics charges have been filed by the State Bar accusing Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong of withholding DNA evidence and misleading the court in the Duke lacrosse case.

The amended complaint cites findings from April 2006 that DNA tests found on the alleged accuser excluded all of the Duke lacrosse players as potential contributors.

The complaint also states Nifong was told of the test results by Brian Meehan, the director of the DNA company where the tests were performed.

According to the complaint, during one of the meetings in April, Nifong and Meehan agreed that the findings would only include “tests for which DNA found on specific evidence match or was consistent with DNA from known reference specimens.”

The amended complaint also states that the “potentially exculpatory DNA evidence and test results” would not be provided to defense attorneys.

The State Bar also cited dozens of pretrial comments Nifong made to the media early on in the case. On March 13, 2006, a woman, who was working as an exotic dancer, claims she was assaulted by three men during an off-campus party in March involving members of the Duke lacrosse team.

This is major. I see Nifong being disbarred, because I think the evidence is pretty clear cut. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Fanning racial tensions in this state, falsely accusing people who apparently aren’t guilty of anything other than hiring two strippers to come to their frat party of rape, destroying their lives, all in order to get reelected. The credibility of a lot of self-righteous ‘crusaders’ in this case has been shot, and it’s not just Nifong’s, but so many others, too, as Gail Heriot at The Right Coast blog explains.

Prior/Related:

• A Blog For All trackbacked with Nifong Slapped With More Ethics Charges
  • 7 Responses to “Nifong’s woes continue: North Carolina state bar amends complant to add ethics charges”

Comments

1. Roger Fraley says:

A lot of DAs comment unethically on cases and nothing happens to them. That the NC bar filed a complaint on Nifong’s unethical comments was a sign that the career killer ethical complaints about withholding exculpatory evidence and lying to the Court were on their way. This was easy to predict, I thought, but I’m pleased I was right, by chance no doubt.

2. sanity says:

ST states: I see Nifong being disbarred

I would rather see him do jail time for his actions. He completely ripped up 3 innocent young mens lives, and instead of going after the truth, he went after his own agenda.

It is people like him that makes me doubt the court system.

3. Severian says:

I agree with sanity, but I’m afraid that disbarment is the best we can expect to happen, if even that. I just don’t trust lawyers or politicians to self police themselves. But Nifong is certainly deserving of jail time.

4. Bachbone says:

Considering how very few attorneys are disciplined by bar associations, you know Nifong’s actions were so egregious that even his legal brethren couldn’t tolerate them or cover them up.

5. PCD says:

I am really pissed that NO ONE is at all looking at the 88 Duke professors who acted as judge, jury, executioner, and propagandists in this sorded incident. Why aren’t these professors being excoriated and drummed out of Duke??

Hey, ST, you try asking Hugh Hewitt if Edwin Chemerinsky is in the group of 88. Erwin was one of Hugh’s “Smart Guys” & teaching at Duke after leaving USC, and it would be interesting if Erwin is man enough to face the music on this.

6. Leslie says:

This sorry affair has now reached the: “If this had been a movie I wouldn’t have believed it” stage.

Sistah and I have discussed this elsewhere, and she knows well that my reaction had been that Nifong shouldn’t have been disbarred, because “everybody’s entitled to make one mistake.”

Sistah! I have changed my mind. Disbarment is definitely in order.

:o