In another stunning display of hatred against our military in the city of San Francisco, Code Pink and their allies – along with a San Fran Supervisor – are working to ground the famous Blue Angels show from flying in their city (emphasis added):
SAN FRANCISCO (Map, News) – The annual aerial show by the U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels — a San Francisco tradition dating back to 1981 that pumps millions into the local economy — is running into opposition from three local peace advocacy groups that are calling for a permanent halt to the popular Fleet Week flyover.
CodePink, Global Exchange and Veterans for Peace, Chapter 69, are working with Supervisor Chris Daly on a Board of Supervisors resolution to address concerns over the Blue Angels.
Daly acknowledged he is considering a call to halt the flyovers because, he said, “they seem dangerous and unnecessary.” Daly said he plans on introducing the resolution as early as Tuesday, but is still drafting the language. A resolution is not legally binding, but states a board position.
The Blue Angels, a team of navy fighter pilots, fly over San Francisco during Fleet Week, which this year is scheduled for Oct. 4 through Oct. 9. For four of the six days, the flashy blue- and yellow-striped planes soar through the skies over the northern waterfront at speeds reaching 700 miles per hour, and perform such maneuvers as vertical rolls. As part of the show, six planes group together in tight formation to perform deft maneuvers.
The Blue Angels have 35 air shows scheduled in 2007 in various U.S. locations. Last year, more than 15 million people watched the fighter pilots. (Watch a short video of the 2006 air show in San Francisco.)
Veterans for Peace takes issue with the pro-military message and the recruiting efforts that come along with the annual visit as well as what it refers to as the “noise pollution.” The group calls the event a public safety risk, pointing to the April crash of a Blue Angels plane during an air show in Beaufort, S.C.
Just a slight miscalculation or a mechanical failure can cause a plane to “go barreling into the Golden Gate Bridge or a high-rise and cause a significant amount of damage” said Paul Cox, a Vietnam veteran and member of the Veterans for Peace.
All in favor of a Constitutional amendment forcing San Francisco to secede from the union permanently say “aye” …
Hat tip to ST reader Sev, who suggests we build a wall around them …
Here’s another schweeeeeeet Blue Angels vid:
Woooweee! Gotta love those flyboys!
- Do you live in San Francisco?
- San Francisco’s public enemy number one: Plastic bags
- California Democrats in turmoil: Hispanic Caucus leader accused of sexism, SF Mayor admits to affair with married woman
- Navy won’t commission warship in San Francisco
- And they wonder why people view them as out of touch far-out liberals? SFBOE votes to eliminate JROTC from high school programs
- Happy Birthday, Mr. Dictator! SF celebrates Fidel Castro’s birthday
- SF Mayor once again vows to ignore the law
- Cindy Sheehan to speak at a high school in San Francisco
- San Fran supervisors: Impeach Bush!
- San Francisco examines poo power
- Riceroni – The San Francisco Retreat
- Mayor Newsom: You have a “basic right” to wireless service
- SF Mayor Gavin Newsom – Right Or Wrong?