Cindy Sheehan to speak at a high school in San Francisco

Posted by: ST on April 5, 2006 at 11:18 am

… on Friday the 7th:

SAN FRANCISCO – Peace activist Cindy Sheehan, whose son was killed in Iraq, is scheduled to speak to students at San Francisco’s Lowell High School this Friday — to the chagrin of at least one parent.

Sheehan is scheduled to speak for approximately 45 minutes at an optional morning assembly that students can attend with their teacher’s permission, according to Lowell Principal Paul Cheng. Sheehan’s visit was arranged by students in the school’s Revolution Youth group, an after-school club.

When parent Matt Mitguard, who has two children at Lowell, heard about the visit, he contacted Cheng to express concern about the school hosting an assembly featuring one point of view on the war and asked if a counter-point speaker could also be asked to participate.

“The left-wing agenda is rammed down your throat here, so kids with a different point of view are not going to speak up” said Mitguard. “The onus is on the district to provide balance.”

Principal Paul Cheng said he was not opposed to having a speaker that supported the United States’ military action in Iraq come to the school, but also felt confident that students could hear only Sheehan and understand that she represented just one point of view.

“That’s our philosophy, that all points of view should be allowed” said Cheng. “The students are able to analyze all the pros and cons and discover for themselves what they want to support or not, and what they want to believe.”

Which explains why only one point of view will be represented.

Hat tip: Expose the Left

blonde sagacity has more info on Lowell High School:

Lowell High School is an “alternative” public school (Naomi Wolf is an alumni, so that explains a lot) and this little shindig with Sheehan is a students-only event. Apparently the school is being pretty tight-lipped about the event… I want to know if she is being paid for her speech!?

In this week’s school bulletin it only says “Color Wars Rally” on the day she is supposed to be there. There is also an announcement for “Rainbow Week coming in April”.

Before anyone on the left who reads this jumps the gun, I’d like to point out that the speech is “optional” for students to attend. But that’s not the point. The point is that there is apparently no alternative viewpoint being provided for the students. Also, have parents been notified?

Let’s also not forget that a majority of San Franciscans voted last November in favor of Measure I:

The military recruitment initiative also won with 60 percent in favor and 40 percent against.

Measure I, dubbed “College Not Combat” opposes the presence of military recruiters at public high schools and colleges. However, it would not ban the armed forces from seeking enlistees at city campuses, since that would put schools at risk of losing federal funding.

Instead, Proposition I encourages city officials and university administrators to exclude recruiters and create scholarships and training programs that would reduce the military’s appeal to young adults.

The message seems to be: Military recruiters in SF schools are wrong, but staunch anti-war advocates are ok.

Read more commentary via Junkyard Blog

(Cross-posted at California Conservative)

Related Toldjah So posts on San Francisco:

Related Toldjah So posts on Cindy Sheehan:

• California Conservative trackbacked with Lowell High School: So This Is Diversity?
  • Center for Sanity trackbacked with Cindy Sheehan Speech Closed to All but Students
  • 18 Responses to “Cindy Sheehan to speak at a high school in San Francisco”

Comments

1. Jim M says:

Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.
      Joseph Stalin

:-?

It is amazing the similarities between the liberals that run the Government Indoctrination Centers (also known as Public Schools) and what Stalin said this is one of the few ways liberals can move their agenda forward. That and through judicial activism but that’s another debate. Just using the second amendment how liberals are saying it says “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a fee state” and leaving off the last part “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”. Or they say that the real meaning of the second amendment is the only people that should have weapons (Guns for Liberals) are those designated by the government i.e. police or the military. Eventually they will be able to remove or change the second amendment without much opposition.
      :-w

2. - The worst part of all of this is almost everything you see coming out of the minority militant left wind precincts IS NOT representative in any way of the attitudes and beliefs of the vast majority of locals in SF. As usual the hard left banks on the fact that conservative people seldom feel compelled to activistically get involved. So calling out rallys with left-wing organizational support leaves everyone with the impression that the anti-American ideas they spew are widespread and heavily supported.

- For my part I think its time to put the American flag BACK in the schools and get the Liberal progressive politicing the hell out.

- I don’t want my child propagandized by ANY group, let along Communist/Socialist ideologs. Maybe its time to “push back” hard!

- Bang **==

3. steve says:

Is there an opposite opinion to Peace? If I say Peace, you all want someone on the other stool yelling “war”? Even the military should have the goal of universal Peace and ultimate disbandment. Or has the military been taken over by people who want to continue to make war for a living, forever? Why are you people so pissed off about a person asking for Peace on earth? How many of you consider yourselves Christians, you know followers of Christ? Peace

4. CZ says:

Is there an opposite opinion to Peace? :-@

Why yes there is, it’s called appeasement, cut-and-run, or surrender. That’s OK if you are France. Lots of “peace” going on there lately, huh?

So Cindy :(( Sheehag is going to speak for 45 minutes? What can she say that she has not already said in her 15 minutes of fame, which which lasted for about 5?

What an obnoxious, whining, nauseating bore.:o)

5. - I seldom, if ever, respond to Steve-peace anymore CZ. You can’t debate, or even carry on a meaningful conversation with someone who lives in a perpetual dreamworld. He’s been repeating essentially the same post in one hundred different ways for months. Apparently OCS is my best guess. Generally ignoring it will make it go away eventually.

- Bang **==

6. steve says:

The problem in France is the same problem that we have here in the USA and that is the bourgeoise. But, with all of the corruption being uncovered, the bourgeoise are on the decline. Not to worry unless your income exceeds $150,000 a year you are not part of the bourgeoise. Which means you either have no dog in the fight or you should be on the anti-bourgeoise, anti-war side. Peace

7. CZ says:

Sorry, -Bang, I hear you. It’s just way to tempting to point out the humor and folly of a chemicaly altered state of mind.

I make no attempt to debate that loon, it’s not worth my time. But I cannot resist answering the misinformed ramblings of an extreme radical leftist circus midget who hates America.

:)>-

8. Jim M says:

CZ, Steve(FN) is like a fly he buzzes around eating fecal matter and bothering people.
      =))

9. steve says:

Kind of rude to refer to you and your pals on the blog as “fecel matter”, don’t you think, JimM?

I can’t wait until there is peace. The United States of the World, run by President George W. Bush. Man now that would be PARADISE!!!! No more wars, just peace and tranquility. Now that is what I call a life. – Lorica =))

11. Sloan says:

Well, Germany and Japan are pretty tranquil now. Pity we had to give them a little attitude adjustment, but unfortunately, and all too often, the best way to deal with warmongers is…well, war.

Lorica, it’s easy to sit there and mock. That’s the easy thing to do. When it comes time to make the hard decisions — like the ones coming up with Iran — just do us all a favor and stay out of the way, okay? When people like George Bush get their way, we get two countries with a fighting chance at freedom. When people like you and Steve get your way, we get the invasion of Poland.

Ohhh Sloan you really don’t understand sarcasm do you?? I was being sarcastic toward Steve. Please try to keep up. :) – Lorica

13. sanity says:

Sheesh, I never thought I would hear Lorica and steve mentioned in same breath and on the same side ….

=))

It’s like hearing President Bush and Cindy Sheehan are really good friends.

It’s all good Sanity. Not like I haven’t made that mistake a few times myself. :) LOL :) – Lorica

15. Sloan says:

Okay, Lorica, I apologize for misinterpreting your message. Evidently I need to turn up the gain on my sarcasm meter…either that, or your sense of humor is way too subtle for my ear.

And I’m probably getting a little punchy from all the liberal inanity.

It is all good Sloan. I have done it myself, and sometimes I can be abit to “nuanced”. =)) It is the politian in me. – Lorica